Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Advertising for Game Night rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've started a monthly game night at my church and while we had about 20 people show up the first night, we get maybe 8 people now that it's been going on for about 4 months. What's a good way to advertise and get people coming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What day and time are they? Are those times convenient?

You could always put something in the sunday bulletin. One good idea might be to have a Trivial pursuit torunament or something. Guys versus Gals, or coupals on a team seems to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
You get 8 now?!?
Some groups would love to have eight regulars.

Around here, having 8 people show up is a really good turnout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7pm-midnight on the 3rd Friday of the month and it is in the church bulletin the Sunday before.

I guess I should count my blessings in that I do get 8. I just want more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Low Turnout
The middle of the summer is a notorious time for low turnout in many activities. People are away on vacation and/or just have a lot of other commitments. Give it a few months and see who your regulars are and that will give you a ballpark figure on a weekly turnout. As word gets around (and it will take a little time) you will start to get more people showing up. We started a group at a local Borders Books about 9 months ago and we initially had enough for one table (3-5 usually). That gradually grew to 6-8 and these last 3 weeks we have been getting 10+ every night. In contrast, several weeks in June had really low turnout just because people had other commitments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
I'd kill for a regular 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advertising a Gaming Group
If you're only open to having people from your church attend Game Nights, I would advise bringing up the group in conversation when you're at other church activities. Personal invitations (via phone or in-person conversation) can be very effective.

If you're open to having others outside your church attend Game Nights, there are a few more things you might try:

1. Advertise the group on Meetup.com, either by using a Meetup group as a way of telling people about your regular group, or by suggesting your monthly date and time as options for your local boardgame Meetup.
2. Advertise the Game Nights on local game/hobby/book shops' (physical) bulletin boards.
3. List your group in AccessDenied.net's free gamers' database, perhaps by using the site's Challenge feature.
4. Take advantage of free media opportunities such as your local TV and newspapers' Community Calendar or other Listings sections.
5. Search Yahoo Groups for groups of gamers in your area, and post your Game Night info there.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Deverell
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night's for fighting
Or is that Saturday night? Anyway, I don't think Friday is a good night, it is a time for the cinema and heading off for the weekend.

Still, eight is good. At Billabong we have around 14+ now BUT we changed it from weekly to fortnightly. It got everyone together on the one night rather than seven one Tuesday and six the next.

Posters at a hobby shop is a good way to attract attention but a web-site is the most important. Most serious gamers at Billabong read the web-site first. Even a one pager info site is good enough.

You want to attract serious gamers because they're the ones who will be consistent attenders. Otherwise you're having to explain the rules of Settlers and Puerto Rico every week to a newbie. I like visitors who get excited about Bohnanza but I also like getting straight into a game like El Grande and playing hard too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fridays are good!
I disagree with the Friday night criticisms. I hold a game night on the first and third Fridays of the month and in months with five Fridays I'll have an additional. I think Friday is a great night for gaming. After working all week people usually don't have the energy to go out clubbing or partying or anything that takes a lot of effort on a Friday night. They want something more relaxing and a good time with good friends in a casual setting fits the bill.

Summer might be slow, but as long as you have air conditioning it shouldn't be a problem.

I think you've got a good thing going and only have a couple recommendations:
1. Don't be numbers obsessed. Just make sure that the people who come regularly are having a great time. If the people coming are having a great time, they'll tell others and start bringing them. 8 is a great turnout for a group of friends. Having a good variety of games for different numbers of players helps.
2. The frequency of your gaming might be too few and far between. Maybe you want to do it more often so it's more on the forefront of peoples' minds. Maybe one on Friday and one on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon perhaps?
3. Invites and reminders are always good. Do you have an email list? Are the 12 people that showed up the first time but not since on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.