Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Two on the short list rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Despite my wife's protestations, warnings, and predictions about my future demestic happiness (or lack thereof), there are two games that I am tempted to buy in the very near future. The reasons that I want them are different for each game, but I think that both are valid additions to the collection.
The first one is Expedition. I have located a copy that is not too terribly expensive, while I have often seen it selling for quite a lot more. I think that the design is simple enough that it would go over well at family parties and such, so I want to get it for those nights. Also, I am a pretty big fan of Wolfgang Kramer's games, although there is STILL no excuse for Evergreen.
The second game is Saint Petersburg. My reason for short-listing this is simply that I know my wife would love it. I recently introduced her to both Goa and to Maharaja, and she really liked the first and was bored by the second. I concluded that her main reason for liking Goa and for being so good at it is because it is at heart a game about shopping and bargain hunting, things that my wife excels at. Saint Petersburg is very much in that same vein, with discounts and some cards effectively being coupons toward purchasing other cards. I KNOW she would wipe me up in this game, and it would be one that would be portable enough to take with us when we visit friends or play on my rare evenings off.
Now if I could just convince myself that it will be worth her short-term wrath in order to secure her long-term pleasure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Expedition

Expedition is a very reliable game. Plays quickly, accomdates 6 and works pretty well with that number. Some nice tension in hoping the routes will go in your direction. Interesting moves can be made by "bowing" the line back on itself. A rare game that is both cooperative and competetive. This game is fun to play and I've never had someone not like it.

Regrettably, by today's standards the components are poor: the tokens and coupons could have been replaced by anything and it would be an improvement and the cards should have help maps for the destination not some german encyclopedia entry for Machu Pichu. I find the board horribly ugly and the subject matter is pretty hard to get fired up about. From the wear on the cards its clear this game got a lot of play but I worry these aesthetic problems prevent me from bringing a good game out more often.

I would recommend you buy Expedition if you need to fill a 6 player niche in your collection. Otherwise, you could probably do better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Cameron
Canada
Unspecified
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Petersburg
I've been playing a lot of St. Pete on BSW since it was added, and I can highly recommend it. As an added bonus, it is a pretty decent gateway game, and probably an even better 'second' game for stepping up the depth of play for people you have introduced to German-style boardgames with something light such as Carc or Settlers. SP plays pretty fast, is easy to grasp, but has a decent amount of depth, both tactically and strategically. Just warn first timers that it is VERY important to get a decent income flow early in the game.

Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.