Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Urge to be the scorekeeper/banker? Or not! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Pieters
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems that I'm almost ALWAYS the scorekeeper! Maybe it's because I was the oldest child growing up, or maybe I asked what the score was too often, or maybe noone else wanted to do it (at lunch, this is frequently the case); regardless, it's usually me!

Anyone else find the same thing?

Occasionally, I get accused of being in the lead just because I'm keeping score - but just jokingly.

My wife always had to be the "rule police" and banker. I don't care if I'm the banker, as long as I get what's due to me!

(There! I've created a journal! Now, to get me an avatar... and a badge... cool )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I try to not be banker because usually I am the one who knows the rules and the one who makes sure everything gets done in order and properly. The game manager, I guess it is. Banking on top of that is a little much.

I still end up banking half the time anyway. So it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Valdir Jorge
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the group
I have two gaming groups that meet once a month. One group is made up of certified old-time gamers, so in it I'm a junior player. In that case I get to keep score or be the banker only very infrequently.

On the other hand, my other group is made up of non-gamers (office co-workers to whom I have introduced TGOO) and there I'm the GM, scorekeeper, banker and all-around gaming guru...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Easton
Australia
Berry
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a couple of game sayings in our house:

'"A good game's a fast game" Garry always says'

and

"A good scorer beats a good player every time"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our mantra is "A good game is a fast game".

I am often the banker if such a role exists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
A Control Freak Who Is Learning To Share
In our group I have always been the rules-explainer (and enforcer) and usually the banker and scorekeeper.

But over time I've learned to "trust" one other guy in the group to be scorekeeper and, even more often, banker, because he's as diligent about each as I would be.

I think despite my self-mocking header here, it's less about control than about trust. Some people don't like to stay focused and so they are likely to mess up on either scoring or banking duties, and then get irritated when you correct them. But I'm perfectly content to let go of the controls if I know someone else will do it right. They just have to prove to me over time that they will!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Clementson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group usually whoever is sitting closest to the money pile or the scoring chips is the banker/scorer. This tends to be the owner of the particular game as they usually set it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.