Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: CottageFest 2004: The Good, Bad, and Ugly rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent this past weekend in the 1000 Islands with 8 other guys for some much needed R&R. Aside from an afternoon on the links, mass beer and food consumption, and misc. other activities there was some gaming going on. I'll get session reports up soon, but for now here's a synopsis of what worked and what didn't.

We brought the following games with us not expecting all of them to get played: M44, TtR, SoC, Pirate's Cove, Carcassonne (all expansions), Modern Art, Lost Cities, Balloon Cup, Bang!

The Good:
Ticket to Ride was very well received. Three of us were new to the game but it's so easy to learn that we were up and running in no time. I happened to win both games we played with the second one by a very narrow margin. I'm really looking forward to another play of this, and I think my wife will take to this one quickly.

Bang! also was well received but it played a bit too long. Al five of us were first time players and I had to check a few rules I couldn't remember. Everyone liked it and would like to play again with 7 players.

Lost Cities got 3/4 of a game in before BK and I had to quit. The reason for the game terminiation is listed in the next section.

Balloon Cup got played for about 5 minutes before the dinner cre bumped us off of the table.

The Bad:
About half of the guys were willing to try some of the games while the others took great pleasure in poking fun at us. We eventually terminated a game of Lost Cities because it was too hard to concentrate. This was due to the "Monopoly Mentality" as I call it, where they all think games are played by kids and don't offer much strategy. Sadly, we weren't able to get any of the heathens to try any even though I know a pair of them would have been very well received.

The Ugly:
Pirate's Cove was a painful experience and as the last game played over the weekend it left Cottagefest ending on a bad note. Despite reading the rules twice (but not recently) I had to refer to the rules numerous times to settle debates. One player lost a battle early and never really recovered because of really poor dice rolls. Also, everyone avoided the pirate ship like the plague even though a couple of ships were really well equipped. We were tired and mentally drained from the weekend and the game ended during turn 11 when a few of us got angry during a discussion regarding the Mastercraft card. Despite all that, I think everyone liked the game and that it just wasn't a good idea to try and learn it at that given time.

Tonight I promised my wife a game of Carcassonne because she's dying to use the T&B expansion. I better make sure I have the rules in order by then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, good for you for trying though. Not everything goes over like you might plan, but eventually everyone remembers the fun parts of the gaming weekends anyways.

One word of advice: Never spring a new game onto a group of people without having first played a "test-game". That way, you already know the ins-and-outs of the game, and can settle questions easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo game, eh? To quote Chevy Chase in Caddyshack when talking to Ted Knight: "I guess you'll just have to keep beating yourself."

That's actually a good idea. I did a bit of reading during lunch today and found a few rules in Bang! that we had played incorrectly. Nothing that would have dramatically changed the outcome of the game, but wrong nonetheless.

Maybe I'll go through a solo game of Pirate's Cove tonight so I'm prepared for next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.