Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Let's keep the good karma flowing... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Ochs
United States
Jackson
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Encouraged by the journal entry about good experiences with game retailers, and also reading the replies on Tom Vasel's blog on Gamefest.com, I was wondering which game designers have you had good experiences with? The one that immediately came to mind (and the one mentioned in Tom Vasel's blog reply by Coldfoot) is Emiliano Sciarra. No matter how you feel about BANG!, if you've ever had a question about it and posted here on the Geek, chances are you got an answer directly from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I've asked questions and have had them answered by Emiliano in a quick, courteous, and concise manner.

Another designer that comes to mind as a great resource both here on the Geek and on several other websites is Bruno Faidutti. I love Bruno's games, and the fact that he supports them so well by replying directly to players' questions on various message boards makes the value of his games that much more.

A newer designer whose example should be followed is Barry Stockinger. He is the designer of Wreckage, and in addition to answering any questions about gameplay, he posted some designer notes as well. It is always fun to read about the way a game idea was concieved and turned into what it is today.

Those are the ones that I have had experience with and can think of off the top of my head. Does anyone else have some good experiences with game designers who support their creations well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 come to mind. The first is Glen Drover from eagle games.

I am a nut for big boards and pieces so naturally I like the eagle games. Unfortanatly their rules are a little less than steller, but they have an awesome forum for discussing and Glen himself will post on it from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Yianni, Hive
I had two questions about the rules for Hive, and sent an email inquiry through their website-- http://www.hivemania.com
In a very short time, John Yianni replied by email, with a clear explanation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Ochs
United States
Jackson
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How could I forget...
Another one that I just thought of is James Ernest of Cheapass fame. I think that I've written him 2 or 3 times, and each time recieved a quick and courteous response. He was also nice enough to reply in a polite way that I had missed a basic rule that was already in the rules (instead of saying, "hey, dumbass, it's right under your nose").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Peek
United States
Preston
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While he is not a game designer, Jay Tummelson is not a retailer either. Jay basically IS Rio Grande Games and as such is one of the greatest assets we gamers have, and we owe him a debt of gratitude in addition to the many dollars we have spent on his games.
On a number of occasions I have had questions about game rules or had problems with game components. In every single case Jay has been supportive and helpful. Some day I want to shake his hand and thank him personally. Maybe if I evr get another invite to the Gathering!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Andrea Angiolino
Andrea is quite active on BGG, and has contributed some really nice content for his current hot game. This game explanation is particulary praiseworthy:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/28121

He put up a bunch of peeks at the design process, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Warangelo
I can think of a game designer quite active here on BGG and with rapid and kind responses: Angelo Porazzi, author of Warangel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marcel andre casasola of attika and attribut fame among others frequents bsw occassionally. of course several of his games including those abovementioned as well as verrater and meuterer can be played on the site

i've spoken to him and he is very nice, as well as willing to play his own games with you online. he also has a personal website about his games that is if anything informational i suppose. all in all a good fellow gamer as well as designer.

another person who does alot of online blog including on BGG is brno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sorry... as i was saying, another designer who has alot of online blog like reviews and commentary including here on the geek is bruno faidutti

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to toss another nodd out to Andrea Angiolino for Wings of War. He has been great.

Also the game isn't generally available yet, but Andrew Parks has been keeping a close eye on his new Camelot Legends game and has been ready to jump in with comments and suggestions.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/10496

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Lea
United Kingdom
Leeds
County: West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Marcel-André Casasola-Merkle has submitted a Geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

-while Andrea Angiolina has submitted no less than 27 lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one
Rüdiger Dorn has posted many answers to rules questions for Goa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Brown
United States
Hermitage
TN
flag msg tools
It's turtles all the way down.
badge
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.”
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget Frank
Frank Branham has posted several times to help clarify rules and answer questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Jay Tummelson
Hey Randall,

You don't need to go to GoF to find Jay. He is often at many of the major US gaming conventions like Origins, World Boardgaming Championships, Gen Con, etc. He has always been pleasant and helpful there, teaching the latest RGG releases.

--Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.