Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Between Trias and Zoosim rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Hi,
which is better, for a girl loving Lost Cities and Carcassonne the Castle, between TRIAS and O ZOO LE MIO?
They are cute... are they funny? Do they scale well in 2 players? Which edition to buy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trias vs. ZooSim
I would recommend O Zoo Le Mio. I've only played Trias once with 2 players, but I didn't think it was as interesting as the multiplayer version. Then again, others claim the 2p is very good.

Anyway, O Zoo Le Mio incorporates blind auctions, majority-control, and tile placement. It has an amusing theme, and the tension of making the proper bid. There is definately humor when a bid is misread and someone spends a lot more than they needed or comes up one dollar short on an important tile.

Other good small games for 2+ players you might look at are St. Petersburg and Citadels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Z
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Dboeren,
"Other good small games for 2+ players you might look at are St. Petersburg and Citadels."

Mmm... I pass on Citadels because I have enough card games.
I'll try to find some info about St.Petersburg...
Else I'll look for O Zoo le Mio (what an awful name for a game, mocking the italian "O sole mio" but with a horrible sound and a useless double meaning).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
O Zoo
I can't comment on O Zoo with 2, but the one time I played Trias with 2 it was pretty lame. Trias, in my opinion, needs 4 or more players. Otherwise, there's just not enough competition for the land grabbing to make things interesting. Also, with 2 it seems to drag on forever because you still have to get through that whole stack of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pass on ZooSim
I have both games, but only played ZooSim. I think the auction component would lose its shine with only two people. If you like abstract games, I HIGHLY recommend Hive. My wife and I love this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Having played both with our daughter, I would recommend O Zoo Le Mio. It is more thematic, more visually attractive, and a bit cleaner to explain. It has a very pleasant tie-breaker scheme so the players alternate winning the tie breakers. There is definitely defensive bidding and multiple scoring methods between majorities, benches, and trees.

Trias is neat, but somewhat dry. The Trias mini-action points approach means more downtime than O Zoo Le Mio. Plus Trias can have an element of meanness, something pretty much lacking in O Zoo Le Mio.

I would not discard Citadels out of hand (so to speak). It is played with cards, but there is construction of buildings, selection of roles, vivid illustrations, heavy theme, tension (playing with two means each player get to take two roles per turn). It has a good interation between the players element, though it can also get mean. I fits in that class of games that use cards, but that are not traditional card games (San Juan, Meuterer, FrachtExpress, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Zoosim 2 plater alot. Its still fun. But you must get the Zoch version with the green treess and the benches. If you get th other version all it comes with are boring black meeple.

So my conclusion Get "O zoo le Mio" But make sure its the Zoch version which the title of the game is "O zoo le mio" and not zoosim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JEREMY PAQUETTE
United States
ATTLEBORO
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have O Zoo Le Mio (the Zoch version), and it actually plays quite well with two despite the bidding component. The bidding has always been tight, and there's still a lot of opportunity to try and outhink your opponent. I highly recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blind Bidding for 2
A couple people have questioned whether the auction aspect is weakened with 2 players.

In my opinion, it is not. While most auction mechanisms weaken with 2 players, blind bidding works fine.

Both O Zoo Le Mio and Vom Kap Bis Kairo (another non-traditional "card" game where the cards are used to form the board) are examples of games with blind bidding that can be played with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
O Zoo le Mio is better for 2
I own both Trias and O Zoo le Mio, and I think both are very good games. Trias doesn't play well with just two players, though. So based on your 2-player criteria, go for O Zoo le Mio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.