Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: GenCon - Saturday - War of the Ring, etc. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
We got up about noon on Saturday and got a cab to the convention center at about 2. There were a few games on the main floor that I wanted to demo and hadn't gotten to yet, so we went to the Mayfair and Rio Grande booths to get that done with.

We played the first 4 or so turns of Maharaja with a couple of women that were checking out new games as well. When we cut out at turn 4, so we would have time to do a couple of other ones, they seemed disappointed, but we had other fish to fry . . .

We thought we got a full game of Navia Dratp in, but it turns out we played it all wrong. One thing that amazed me about both the main floor and the boardgame event ballroom was the number of volunteers that did not really know the games they were demonstrating. Most had a grasp of the basics at best, so that was a bummer, but I came to understand it as the way of things.

We checked out a couple of the other event rooms and some miniature contest displays, then headed for the boardgame event ballroom. The number of Navia Dratp games being played was noticable. We may be looking at something special here.

I had purchased War of the Ring earlier that day, and was itching to try it. We went to the FFG section of the room and asked if we could set up another table of War of the Ring. After some confusion, they realized that I possessed the extra copy required, and were fine with it. In fact, they let us have one of their demonstration people, to teach us the game. I was pleased and impressed that they were willing to do this for a sale they had already made, and for no tickets no less!

The game was much simpler than the huge rulebook would have you believe. I haven't done a critical read, but I suspect that they must have covered everything in excrutiating detail, because no question we had was unanswerable with a bit of research. I lost the game, realizing that the victory conditions will be very easy to obtain against an unwary opponent. I think it will be possible to get good at this game, and I like games like that.

We ended the night in the rare items auction, and I was again disgusted by the unprofessional way it was conducted, among other more puzzling questions.

This pretty much finished off the GenCon experience, since our flight was at 11:30 AM the next morning. We didn't get nearly as many games in as I would have liked, but we spent a lot of time finding out what GenCon has to offer, and the sightseeing was worth it by itself. Vampires, Wizards, Paladins, Stormtroopers, Klingons, all of the major phantasy phreaks were represented. Next year, I will play more games.

NSDM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.