Popular Tags: [View All]
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am a Catan newB and am waiting on my copy of Settlers of Catan Gallery Edition I ordered. It was only after I purchased it that I noticed some folks saying it wasn't expandable.

So, my question is, what would prevent one from using Catan: Cities & Knights to expand the Settlers of Catan Gallery Edition? It didn't look like there were any new tiles (apparently, Settlers of Catan Gallery Edition has smaller tiles that are clustered in 3 groups of 6 hexes). Why wouldn't the bits from Catan: Cities & Knights work on a slightly smaller board?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/38821/settlers-of-catan-g...

It's listed in the game description. The tiles here are smaller than the ones in Catan: C&K

Simply Catan had hex strips, Gallery Edition has Hex-patches of 6 Hex that are smaller than SoC-Base Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, yes I did read the description (after the fact) that the tiles are smaller in the Gallery Edition.

When I looked at the photo gallery of Catan: Cities & Knights, I didn't see any tiles that come with that expansion, I didn't read of any tiles (except the barbarian ship movement tile) in its components list, and I read in the rules that the original Settler's tiles are used to play the Catan: Cities & Knights expansion on.

So that was the question. Is the expansion just game bits and rules with no new tiles?

If so, why can't the expansion game bits and rules be used on the tiles of the Gallery Edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coldwarrior1984 wrote:
Thank you, yes I did read the description (after the fact) that the tiles are smaller in the Gallery Edition.

When I looked at the photo gallery of Catan: Cities & Knights, I didn't see any tiles that come with that expansion, I didn't read of any tiles (except the barbarian ship movement tile) in its components list, and I read in the rules that the original Settler's tiles are used to play the Catan: Cities & Knights expansion on.

So that was the question. Is the expansion just game bits and rules with no new tiles?

If so, why can't the expansion game bits and rules be used on the tiles of the Gallery Edition?
Oh, I see. Other incompatibilities I can think of (note I have yet to see C&K 4th edition. I use Mayfair 3rd edition):

--Commodity cards from Catan: C&K will likely have different backs and/or sizes as Catan GE. Some people with international versions have commented that the backs are different anyways when purchasing everything within the same publisher anyways.

--Roads may not fit correctly, although I doubt it.
--ditto with chits

--you can always just make your own Barbarian ship track
--Progress cards being different won't pose a problem.

I'll add/edit more as I think of any...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the information. As I stated, I don't have the game in my possession yet, so it is hard to guage what the issues are.

Your input is really a terrific help. I am hopeful that I will be able to adapt expansions to the Gallery Edition. We'll see.

I am surprised that the producers don't see the potential market for such expansions for the gallery edition. They could pick the best selling expansions and make gallery editions of them.

Oh well, they probably know their own business best. Now, if they have a radar problem, they can come talk to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.