BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Tide of Iron or Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Lally
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I'm looking for a medium-heaviness World War II game that is fun to play but has a bit more tactical meat on its bones than Memoir '44. I pretty much hate the Command and Colors format, whether it's Ancients, Civil War, or WW II. If ind it very boring and one-dimensional.

I have read a few other threads on Tide of Iron versus COH, but I am requesting some more specific feedback on some of my questions. I picked COH: Storms of Steel for the comparison, because it appears many folks think that one's an improvement over Awakening the Bear.

I do like the miniatures aspect of Tide of Iron, but I also am aware of the long setup.

I played ASL once, and was overwhelmed.

Part of the problem is that several reviewers have noted that TOI and COH are nestled between Memoir '44 and ASL, but I'm not sure where on that spectrum each one sits.

I do prefer games where there is more choice in where/how you move, even if the eventual outcome is dice or card driven. Hence, my dislike of the CDG aspects of the Command and Colors series.

Some other subjective elements that would help me choose which of these two games to start with are:

1. Fun
2. Replayability
3. Some Semblance of Realism
4. Game Mechanic most dissimilar to Memoir '44

All games have their pros/cons, but I would appreciate any thoughtful feedback on these questions.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gong
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mb
CoH without a doubt.. dont get me wrong, ToI is a good game, but CoH just blows it away

just make sure you download the Storms of Steel rulebook and use its turn by turn rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malte Menger
Germany
N├╝rnberg
Germany
flag msg tools
Mountainbike
badge
Roadbike
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the modular board of tide of iron and the ugly plastic miniatures. Let aside the actual gameplay... I sold the game. I would prefer CoH any day, even though I sold this as well .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
COH offers a big tactical advantage over ToI in that you have Command Points and Opportunity actions that allow you to react to opponents' actions.

I also think that the combat resolution in COH is more predictable and the hit counters simulate suppression fire/panic conditions in a quick and simple way.

We stopped playing ToI after COH came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tham
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Best game ever!
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both. ToI wins on the toy factor but I enjoy CoH more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very underwhelmed by Conflict:SoS. I did not like the "move one hex and wait for the other guy to do his move" mechanic. Every time you do anything, like moving one hex, shooting or turning, the turn immediately goes to the other player. It might be realistic or something, but it was not fun. The friends I was playing with were experienced with ToI, and they thay said I would probably enjoy that game much more. They certainly enjoyed it more.

But if you think this mechanic would not bother you, and you do not need the toy factor of ToI, perhaps CoH is exactly what you are looking for. You did say you wanted realism.

And just to add to the confusion, did you take a look at Combat Commander: Europe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lally
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Can anyone comment directly on which of these games is LEAST like Memoir '44 in rules/mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Conflict of Heroes is the least like Mem 44 of all those mentioned. And its a fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.