Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Yes. Good luck! Once we got here, I got rid of half the stuff I packed. So frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Packing sucks.

Are you sure you're not packing socks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Tally so far:

45 boxes of books. Still have probably 10 or so more boxes of books to pack. Last time we moved, we had 35 boxes of books.

11 other boxes, including four very large boxes (that computer desktops came in) containing some of our games. Less than half the games packed.

I've not even gotten very far. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is so much work.

First you must decide what to keep and what to get rid of....

Then, everything has to be carefully wrapped...

Until you have so many boxes, you're read to give up...

Then, hopefully you can find everything when you get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Last time when we moved, Jeff and I packed for I think about 5 hours during which it seemed like we neither added to the number of packed boxes nor took away from the stuff to be packed.

I got a book for our son that talks about everything getting packed into boxes and then having a big truck come to take it all away, then moving into a new place. It arrived today, and we started reading it before dinner. For some unknown reason, I just burst into tears right in the middle of it. I'm tearing up now. No idea why. Maybe all those moves as a child were more painful than I though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Packing sucks.

I moved 3 1/2 years ago. I still have 3 unpacked boxes.

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
amwiles wrote:

Packing sucks.

kiss

We moved almost five years ago. We still had five boxes that were still packed from before. (We knew we weren't going to be here long, and they were stuff I'd need for teaching or hobbies that I've not had time to work on.) So when I say 11 other boxes were packed, half those were packed five years ago... laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
EgorjLileli wrote:
amwiles wrote:

Packing sucks.

kiss

We moved almost five years ago. We still had five boxes that were still packed from before. (We knew we weren't going to be here long, and they were stuff I'd need for teaching or hobbies that I've not had time to work on.) So when I say 11 other boxes were packed, half those were packed five years ago... laugh

Thank goodness those boxes weren't from the pantry or holding pet supplies. Or even worse, holding the pets!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Courage. It will be done, you will be on your way a-questing soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
Courage. It will be done, you will be on your way a-questing soon.

And closer to the Mystery Family!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

Last time when we moved, Jeff and I packed for I think about 5 hours during which it seemed like we neither added to the number of packed boxes nor took away from the stuff to be packed.

I got a book for our son that talks about everything getting packed into boxes and then having a big truck come to take it all away, then moving into a new place. It arrived today, and we started reading it before dinner. For some unknown reason, I just burst into tears right in the middle of it. I'm tearing up now. No idea why. Maybe all those moves as a child were more painful than I though.

I know what you mean. The whole process of moving gives me anxiety. Sometimes I wish everything I owned fit in a single suitcase that I could just carry with me to the next place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I move I take the opportunity to go through my books and put them in a few piles:

Books I enjoy enough to read about once a year. Keep.

Books I've not read but will real soon. Keep.

Books I've had for years but never actually read. Ditch.

Books I've read once, but won't read again. Ditch.

Books I've been meaning to give to Goodwill but haven't yet. Ditch.

Books I've been meaning to trade in for credit at a used book store. Ditch.

I also do this during spring cleaning, and the month before the next big book sale.

Packing up books, games, magazines, CDs and DVDs goes easier when you make a give away pile and a keep pile. Just give to someone less fortunate or someone random. Free. No fuss. Less packing. Less stress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and here's my one packing hint.

Don't label the boxes with their contents. Label them with the destination room.

"Kitchen", "Living Room", etc.

Not "DVDs, Jewelry, 8-Tracks". That's just an invitation for a thief.

Segregate your packing, room by room, none of those "this will fit in here to fill up the space" moments.

When you unpack the boxes from the truck, stack 'em in their destination rooms, out of the way, against a wall. That way you'll be able to put the furniture in the middle of the room and, if necessary, set up the beds, sleep, and deal with the boxes the next day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Actually, what I find useful and I have used this to great success 3 times now is to label boxes with a number as I create and pack a box. Just after sealing the box I jot down on a single sheet of paper, an index, of the boxes contents:

37 - Hardcover novels, junk drawer contents, office supplies
52 - Hardcover novels, sex toys, religious items, used toothpicks

I can zero in on any item after a move. Moreover, I pack according to how things fit in the box as opposed to a category of items, which is inevitable as boxes fill up irregularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was raised by a drifter. I do not care to count it all up but well more than 30 houses across the province and for a period of a year across the country.

So I can certainly commiserate with the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
amwiles wrote:

Packing sucks.

:kiss:

Don't open them. Just throw them away. There is nothing in there you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
We are packing also, so what I am about to say is not sarcastic in the slightest:

Sell 80% of everything you own to weirdos from Craigslist. It's a great feeling, and will reset your insanometer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
My best move was to the house I now live in. We had to bring stuff from our appartment and 2 other locations in town (garage box, her parents' place) to the house we bought. A lot of packing, with the 'room destination' labels. On the day itself, I had something like 15+ people helping: friends and people who I teach budo. One could borrow a truck, another had the license to drive one. It was great, at some point the boxes were just poored into the new house by means of a human chain; from the truck all the way to the first floor. In the mean time, others were preparing drinks and sandwiches, etc.

People were afraid we would have actually *too much* help, but it actually went very smooth, with an occasional 'kitchen' box stuffed in the attic and vice versa. All in all a heart warming experience.

Hope you have a nice, smooth move too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
One tip having recently just moved.

Write the contents on the side of the boxes not the top. Once you have them stacked up in their repsective rooms you keep having to lug boxes off other boxes to see what is written on them to find your novelty condoms or toothpicks or whatever it is you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
One tip having recently just moved.

Write the contents on the side of the boxes not the top. Once you have them stacked up in their repsective rooms you keep having to lug boxes off other boxes to see what is written on them to find your novelty condoms or toothpicks or whatever it is you are looking for.

Right, great tip. When I number, I choose a corner and put the same number on all three faces. It takes but a second. No matter hoe you stack, one of the numbers is going to be visible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
For some unknown reason, I just burst into tears right in the middle of it.

It's a known reason. You're a girl. Girl's cry at anything. It will be your hormones or something. Ask a scientist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
We are packing also, so what I am about to say is not sarcastic in the slightest:

Sell 80% of everything you own to weirdos from Craigslist. It's a great feeling, and will reset your insanometer.

Speaking for the weirdos on Craigslist, I wholeheartedly agree.

Btw, could you GeekMail me a link to the ad, when you post it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeroZilla wrote:
JoshBot wrote:

Speaking for the weirdos on Craigslist, I wholeheartedly agree.

Btw, could you GeekMail me a link to the ad, when you post it?

The piano's on craigslist already, and I need to repost it, because apparently I asked too much (or no one's looking for a piano right now?)

So, I'm currently living in my 17th place of residence. Texas is the seventh state I've lived in. So I know a thing or two about moving, and I'm freaking sick of it.

We're doing what we did last time: moving first, then looking for a house, so our stuff will be in boxes for about 6 months after we get there. We're not putting our stuff in storage, but rather we're going to get an apartment or house big enough to have a room or two with just boxes in.

We're also doing what we did last time with respect to packing: I bought a hardbound, spiral book in which to write everything. We will have the following: BOOK, BOY, OFFICE, DEN, BED, BATH, KITCHEN, LR, GARAGE. Each box type gets dedicated pages in my book, and boxes are labeled with the box type and a number, which also gets recorded, as well as the contents, in more detail than suggested here. That way !) we know where stuff is in case we need to get to it and 2) if a box gets lost, we quickly know what we need to replace. The type and number of each box is written on each side and the top. Two sides also have our last name on them.

We already got rid of probably 5-7 boxes of books to our local used book store. I've got probably 15 boxes of stuff in the garage that'll be sold before moving; I'm sure I'll put more junk out there as I'm packing.

Mercer is paying for a large chunk of the move, and as such we are using United (they have a contract). I certainly hope that we can get a binding agreement from them when they estimate our cost, since I've been given a maximum on what I'll be reimbursed. I'm not sure that we'll be under it. We're also going to be putting my car on the truck, too. That was $1000 last time, but completely worth it.

Having your last name on your boxes is important when there will be probably crap from another two families on your truck, too. It just reduces the number of lost boxes, and it makes it easier for them to get your box back to you if it goes missing. Last time we moved, North American didn't lose ANYTHING of ours. BTW, I only had one bowl break, and Matthew broke off my Dream action figure. I should have taken Matthew off first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.