Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Help and How-To

Subject: Q: Duplicate images and gg grabbers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was geekmoding and noticed that user is posting duplicate / too similar images, but this images still got approved. Is there a way to report this images to admins for removal. My OCD kicked in cry .

examples: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/368064/shadow-hunters and http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/705106/shadow-hunters

I also noticed that there are some users that just take there camera and start taking pics, and post all of this images here just for gg. I had to reject like 30 out of 40 images from a guy, because all of them where blurry and underexposed. Is there some way to forbid users to post images if for example 50% of there images got rejected??
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
For problems like that, you can contact
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mb
9 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gwen wrote:
For problems like that, you can contact
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mb


And for a lot of other problems, for that matter
1 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gwen wrote:
For problems like that, you can contact ...
Less directly you can also use the "Corrections" link in the upper right corner of the game's page. Write a note and provide the image numbers.

4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor admin is going to have his hand full . There are so many duplicate images .

Thx everyone.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
miljenko wrote:
When I was geekmoding and noticed that user is posting duplicate / too similar images, but this images still got approved. Is there a way to report this images to admins for removal. My OCD kicked in cry .

examples: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/368064/shadow-hunters and http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/705106/shadow-hunters

I also noticed that there are some users that just take there camera and start taking pics, and post all of this images here just for gg. I had to reject like 30 out of 40 images from a guy, because all of them where blurry and underexposed. Is there some way to forbid users to post images if for example 50% of there images got rejected??


It is worth noting that the criteria for declining because of similarity are that the new image is similar and not of significantly better quality.

Looking at the 2 images linked the more recent image seems to be of significantly better quality so I would say it was correctly approved.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:


It is worth noting that the criteria for declining because of similarity are that the new image is similar and not of significantly better quality.

Looking at the 2 images linked the more recent image seems to be of significantly better quality so I would say it was correctly approved.


If you mean that recent image has better resolution, than I agree. But recent image is too "blue", it was taken with poor lightning. I have this game, and I can confirm that older image is true color. But I can agree that recent image looks better .

My point wasn't that second image shouldn't been approved, I wanted to know how to report duplicate images. And than its up to admin to keep better image.

There is no point in having duplicate images right??

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
miljenko wrote:
DaveD wrote:


It is worth noting that the criteria for declining because of similarity are that the new image is similar and not of significantly better quality.

Looking at the 2 images linked the more recent image seems to be of significantly better quality so I would say it was correctly approved.


If you mean that recent image has better resolution, than I agree. But recent image is too "blue", it was taken with poor lightning. I have this game, and I can confirm that older image is true color. But I can agree that recent image looks better .

My point wasn't that second image shouldn't been approved, I wanted to know how to report duplicate images. And than its up to admin to keep better image.

There is no point in having duplicate images right??



I can't argue about whether the colour is true because I don't have the game, although I admit I did think the colour on the more recent image looked better (presumably I was wrong there shake ), but the new image is also noticeably better cropped.

Surely the only reason to report an image is because you don't think it should have been accepted (and I agree that many shouldn't).

I agree that there is point in having duplicate images, but to me that means exact duplicates (pixel for pixel), these 2 are only similar and possibly acceptable bearing in mind the quality criteria.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M H
Germany
Göttingen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
miljenko wrote:
When I was geekmoding and noticed that user is posting duplicate / too similar images, but this images still got approved. Is there a way to report this images to admins for removal. My OCD kicked in cry .

examples: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/368064/shadow-hunters and http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/705106/shadow-hunters

I also noticed that there are some users that just take there camera and start taking pics, and post all of this images here just for gg. I had to reject like 30 out of 40 images from a guy, because all of them where blurry and underexposed. Is there some way to forbid users to post images if for example 50% of there images got rejected??

Welcome to Geekmod.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So should I report duplicate images like these: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/413285/a-game-of-thrones-... and http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/705328/a-game-of-thrones-... or not, on the grounds that they are not same pixel by pixel?? They depict exactly the same thing, and one is significantly better than other...

So is it ok to report such images or not???
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's perfectly OK to report images. I just thought that your first example wasn't a good one. I would definitely agree that the Game of Thrones image should have been declined, it's very blurry.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
www.punkzter.blogspot.com
badge
It's a horse. On a chair.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The image "issue" is interesting. I became fed up with geek modding after thumbing through dozens of images of game components.

I also know that some users upload otherwise pointless images so that they can use them for session reports or for reviews. This obviously generates a ton of GG. But, in my opinion, these pictures belong in a person's personal gallery.

I do picture heavy session reports, and all images go to my gallery instead of the game's gallery. This seems appropriate, and I wish that more users would do this.
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
miljenko wrote:
So should I report duplicate images like these: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/413285/a-game-of-thrones-... and http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/705328/a-game-of-thrones-... or not, on the grounds that they are not same pixel by pixel?? They depict exactly the same thing, and one is significantly better than other...

So is it ok to report such images or not???


I think the question asked (but tell me if I'm wrong), is, ok, the recent image should be accepted as better quality, but then, surely we should get rid of the old one, no?

I know I've uploaded some images of components and stuff that as missing in the db. But these were very bad quality (bad calmera, never used a photo editing thingy...), right now, they're probably useful as it's better than nothing, but once someone else uploads better shots, surely my photos will become irrelevant and unnecessary, so why not just delete them?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Choubi Gogs
France
flag msg tools
badge
My avatar is from the chilren's game Monster Mash
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it would be interesting to add an option to replace images.

Something that would go like this, you go to an image page and then you can choose to replace the image with a new one. Geekmodders then see both images side by side and if it is agreed that the second one is better, then it is uploaded to the db and the other one is deleted from the db (using same image ID so that every link to the image is just redirected to the new better image).

What do you think?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
If BGG would stop awarding GG for simple image submissions, all these problems will go away.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miljenko Murkovic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Choubi wrote:
Maybe it would be interesting to add an option to replace images.

Something that would go like this, you go to an image page and then you can choose to replace the image with a new one. Geekmodders then see both images side by side and if it is agreed that the second one is better, then it is uploaded to the db and the other one is deleted from the db (using same image ID so that every link to the image is just redirected to the new better image).

What do you think?


I like the idea thumbsupthumbsup. This will save a lot of time for everybody.
jimb wrote:
If BGG would stop awarding GG for simple image submissions, all these problems will go away.

1 is definitely too much, especially when writhing a decent review or session is worth 3 or 4 . If you ever tried to write a review you'll know its not a simple task.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Jenkins
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you've ever tried to take a good picture, you know it isn't an easy task.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Burke
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Part Owner, Gen Con Games Library
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekModding is hard. I mean that people there approve EVERYTHING!!! I'm like 40% on declines because all the rest of you guys (well, not you reading this of course) are stupid. I don't want to get banned or something from geekmodding because of too low a %... so i have started just skipping the ones that are borderline decline.

How do you report an image? I saw one on the front page today that's basically a picture of the sun shining in the camera lens, oh and there might have been someone playing a game somewhere in the glare. I looked all over, and even searched for "report an image" and ended up in this thread.

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Burke
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Part Owner, Gen Con Games Library
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jimb wrote:
If BGG would stop awarding GG for simple image submissions, all these problems will go away.


haha! says the guy with "the artist formerly known as Prince" for an avatar!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
jburke98 wrote:
jimb wrote:
If BGG would stop awarding GG for simple image submissions, all these problems will go away.

haha! says the guy with "the artist formerly known as Prince" for an avatar!

You lost me there, kemo-sabe. (?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mb
jburke98 wrote:
I don't want to get banned or something from geekmodding because of too low a %... so i have started just skipping the ones that are borderline decline.


FYI, I don't know of anyone who has had geekmodding privileges removed for having too low a % because of declining. We do occasionally suspend geekmodding privileges for people who are clearly rubber-stamping "accepts" on images (really? You thought that corrupt image was a good contribution?) - but anyone who is even halfway trying to use the system in the spirit it was intended would be able to avoid that fate.

-MMM
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Burke
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Part Owner, Gen Con Games Library
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear that! I'll be more comfortable "decline"-ing from now on.

That being said, how can I mark an image to be reviewed that shouldn't have been accepted? ie: how can I help weed out the junk from the good images?

Thanks!

Jeremy
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mb
If it's something that is clearly a violation (an image ripped from another site apparently without permission, watermarks, corrupt, wrong game) then shoot me a geekmail with the link.

-MMM
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Burke
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
Part Owner, Gen Con Games Library
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
it's not really... I'm thinking of glare, focus, cropping, etc. other reasons that there are checkboxes for when geekmodding.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.