Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey W
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was teaching a new player MBT earlier and I wanted to have a quick training game to cover the basic rules, orders, turn sequence, etc. I gave him an average-grade M-1A2 and I took a three-tank platoon of poor-grade T-34/85's (from IDF) with doctrine and a single, poor-grade T-34/85 without doctrine as my force. The points about balanced (110 vs 107), even though I figured it would be a massacre on the battlefield. I hadn't accounted for lady luck, however.

We were only playing on two mapboards with practically no hills, so he basically stayed still & fired while I charged forward, firing on the move as I advanced (to demonstrate the rules more than anything else, since my guns couldn't penetrate the Abrams' armor). He knocked out one T-34 from my platoon on his second shot, but otherwise he was having pretty horrible luck landing hits. Finally on one turn, I landed two hits on the move from my T-34's (~10-11 hexes away) while he finally landed another hit on one of the vehicles in my platoon. Incredibly, my two hits (which had no chance of penetrating his armor) took out his gun & tracks and his had no effect on my World War 2 vintage tanks. They don't make 'em like they used to, apparently...

At this point, I gave him the T-34 platoon to help finish off the helpless Abrams, which has such thick armor that it's impossible to kill off at all in a T-34 unless you're directly behind it, or get a rear hit from the rear/side chart. Considering the Abrams could always turn its turret to cover whatever hexside the Soviets were attacking from (something else I did to demonstrate the rules), it pretty much took a HEAT round to the hull rear to finally brew the thing up.

Sometimes games go nothing like you expect them to...and I guess that's what keeps the hobby so fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just goes to show that even with a superior tank, you can't just sit still and wait for the enemy to come to you. The Abrams has the superior fire-on-the-move abilities and should not have been sittin' around. An excellent lesson...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan The Man
United States
Unspecified
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Several M1s of late vintage were taken out in Iraq by RPGs.

Just goes to show, tanks are not really the best for city fighting... I'm pretty sure they were rear shots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricatoni
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of the Shermans vs. Panzers in WWII. It took 4 Shermans to take out a Panzer...but you could do it.

Good to see someone else playing this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
Just goes to show that even with a superior tank, you can't just sit still and wait for the enemy to come to you.

I don't know, sound more like it goes to show that the game itself has some very serious flaws if results like that can occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M L
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's a great replay I love it. While the studies I and our gaming group in MN would see this scenario as possible it certainly would not be probable. I think this case is a great tribute to the rules in how it can account for anecdotal incidents like the RPG KOs mentioned above.
I had a co-commander loose three guns in 2 turns! And I've tracked a M1A2 with a BMP. I lost the BMP but it gave a flank shot to the T-72s. Most of the time that doesn't occur and I would NOT base a strategy on it unless that's all you had.

Our studies on armored tactics would argue in favor of the M1 taking a hull down position to eliminate track hits which would be bad news allowing a rear flank on the M1 if tracked, then as mentioned above the fire move is a great advantage of the M1 and that could be utilized with another common tactic of moving to a forest edge or just past a hill crest, fire and move back out of site, then repeat. We've found that very useful for many armored engagements.

I understand the teaching game though. Winning as the teach doesn't endure new people to the game. As many may have seen as well, You'll find the Basic game eliminates rules that give the M1 more advantages, Mainly the suppression on a hit regardless of penetration. That makes the M1 worth more than the points imply or so we've found.

Thanks for the post! To me the AAR is as much fun as the game. We've established many tactical principles from our studies and AARs, great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's not easy being green
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZootSaxIsMyAxe wrote:
Sometimes games go nothing like you expect them to...and I guess that's what keeps the hobby so fun

So true! When I asked a golfer with a bad hip why he still took to the course he said for that one shot that lands within a foot of the hole... thats what keeps us all playing I think, even when you know the odds are against you. As long as these 4 3 are involved, you never know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.