Vasco da Gama» Forums » General

Subject: I wondered whether Tom was right... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
...so I played VdG again tonight. This game is flushed-face tension from beginning to end. If Tom says that VdG is like work, maybe I should consider going into the missionary business. Can I put my Francisco Alvares experience on my resume?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Silva
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmb
i guess work feels different for some people.

I my self agree, i enjoy the game very much. I also enjoy power grid, and i suppose Tom would hate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McClendon
United States
Girard
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom is usually pretty good at finding the good in games, so it's a bit odd that he doesn't like a popular game like this. Still...
It's not the first time he's been the odd man out, and it wont be the last. It's a subjective thing after all.

What I find most surprising is the reaction to the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WHO CARES???!!!!
Let the man have an opinion. I like the game but was happy to hear someone who wasn't talking about it like it was the 2nd coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:

An opinion here, but I firmly believe the following:
1. VdG simply wasn't Tom's kind of game.
2. I don't believe Tom played it correctly, if you take his video review as the authority on how he played it.

His reviews aren't supposed to be the authority on how he plays them - he played the game correctly. He was probably so bored by the game that he momentarily lost concentration and explained one thing wrong.

See his followup for confirmation that he played correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im not sure how good a game it is, but one thing I agree with is that it "looks" so incredibly dull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unicorniclops wrote:
Im not sure how good a game it is, but one thing I agree with is that it "looks" so incredibly dull.

Given the games you have highly rated (including the Champion of Tedium as your only 10), I'd guess you'd actually like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Let's just keep beating this dead horse. So what the dude didn't like the game, if this was some game that everyone didn't like then would this even be a discussion.

Who Cares!!

I like the follow up apology, it seemed similar to the Tiger Woods apology.

Where both Tiger and Tom should have told the general public to mind their business.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Thompson
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YESH
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
...so I played VdG again tonight. This game is flushed-face tension from beginning to end. If Tom says that VdG is like work, maybe I should consider going into the missionary business. Can I put my Francisco Alvares experience on my resume?

So you're applying for the missionary position?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killjoy00 wrote:

Which confirms nothing at all... he could perfectly have realized his mistake (though there are several and the "confirmation" also has one) and corrected it after he had played wrong and done the rant review...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallgur wrote:
killjoy00 wrote:

Which confirms nothing at all... he could perfectly have realized his mistake (though there are several and the "confirmation" also has one) and corrected it after he had played wrong and done the rant review...

Ok... he obviously still felt the same way. If you are just going to assume people are going to be bald faced liars, that's stupid. Especially someone like T.V. who is a well-regarded member of the BGG community and a minister to boot. So whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who cares? Why are we giving a man's opinion this importance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
Who cares? Why are we giving a man's opinion this importance?

Well mostly the people that are up in arms about his opinion are the ones giving it such importance. Tom has written hundreds of reviews on this site. This one isn't any more or less important than any of those others, except to the people now raging against him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killjoy00 wrote:
If you are just going to assume people are going to be bald faced liars, that's stupid.

I, for one, made no such assumption... Just pointed out that, since both his explanations of the rules have errors, he still could have played it wrong.

Quote:
... and a minister to boot.

Which, has no relevance whatsoever to the point at hand.
Actually, that "apology" video was very un-minister like...

Now I advise you to go and read the BGG guidelines before going around calling people stupid. It makes you look like you are and I'm assuming you're not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killjoy00 wrote:
Well mostly the people that are up in arms about his opinion are the ones giving it such importance. Tom has written hundreds of reviews on this site. This one isn't any more or less important than any of those others, except to the people now raging against him.

Both sides are giving it too much importance. (there has been a lot of raging against those infidels who criticized one Vassel's review)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NO YOU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallgur wrote:
killjoy00 wrote:
If you are just going to assume people are going to be bald faced liars, that's stupid.

I, for one, made no such assumption... Just pointed out that, since both his explanations of the rules have errors, he still could have played it wrong.

Wrong. That's not what you said. You said that he might have realized his mistake after the first video and corrected it after the review. However, in his apology, he states that he did play by the rules. You are implying that he is a liar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killjoy00 wrote:
Mallgur wrote:
killjoy00 wrote:

Wrong. That's not what you said. You said that he might have realized his mistake after the first video and corrected it after the review. However, in his apology, he states that he did play by the rules. You are implying that he is a liar.

in his apology he also is on top of the roof of a building where his wife throws a glass of water in his face. He also stores trash in the Vasco de Gama box. I dont think something like this is to be taken seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Minimal player interaction? Played correctly, this game is rife with screwage, strong-arming, and bitter feelings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
MikeDowd wrote:
I believe player interaction = Players have a variety of ways to win so they choose one that fits a personal style. So when you play, you get to see the interaction between your chosen style and those of your opponents.

That's more like Race for the Galaxy, AT's poster child for no-interaction Euro gaming.

VdG is not a solo efficiency race worker placement game. It's very much a zero-sum fight where pursing self-interest and thwarting the progress of others go hand in hand. Go all-in and make your opponents cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killjoy00 wrote:

You're funny.

I think I am way more aware than you could ever be as to what my intentions are.

Might is not the same as did or are we not speaking the same language here?
Again, all I said was that the "apology" did not prove anything, not that he lied.
Even if that was the case (that he corrected the rules in a subsequent video after realising the mistake and having played wrongly all along), which I never did say was a fact, he could, given the mistake in the second explaining of rules, still be playing wrongly, which would demonstrate (as if it was needed) that the second video proved nothing.
That, should it be the case, still would not make him a liar, but someone who was mistaken and expressed an opinion on wrong premises. Not the same as a lying, is it?

Please don't try to blame me for your misinterpretations and assumptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tietz
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone has their own opinions. Just because Tom didn't like it doesn't mean that anyone who does like it is an idiot. It just means that one person didn't like it. No need to defend the game. Judging by its rating on here, a lot of people like Vasco.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallgur wrote:

You're funny.

I think I am way more aware than you could ever be as to what my intentions are.

Might is not the same as did or are we not speaking the same language here?
Again, all I said was that the "apology" did not prove anything, not that he lied.
Even if that was the case (that he corrected the rules in a subsequent video after realising the mistake and having played wrongly all along), which I never did say was a fact, he could, given the mistake in the second explaining of rules, still be playing wrongly, which would demonstrate (as if it was needed) that the second video proved nothing.
That, should it be the case, still would not make him a liar, but someone who was mistaken and expressed an opinion on wrong premises. Not the same as a lying, is it?

Please don't try to blame me for your misinterpretations and assumptions.

I'm not assuming or misinterpreting anything here.

Your statement reminds me of the mean people who say "well Bob COULD be cheating on his wife... I'm not saying he is, but he could."

But you are right, your conclusion logically implies either that Tom lied or that is he still mistaken about the rules. Since he also stated that he reread the rulebook again (I'm pretty sure he was extra careful since all the fanboys came out to bitch and moan) and has played thousands of games, you are right... either conclusion makes equal sense.

Funny indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Larson
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All I know is that I'm am so late* to this party and a little piece just die inside me. I've watched both videos, the "review" and the "apology" review. I read most** the of geek BS in the posts and in duing so an epiphany lighting bolt struck from Zeus himself.

I love Tom Vasel. I belive I'm in love with Tom Vasel and I want the world to know it. Tom Vasel ROCKS the Geek...HARD!

Dump your wife and marry me TOM***

* I live in a bubble and I just got the word 3 days ago.
** 2 pages total. HA!
*** Disclamier: I LOVE Vasco Da Gama. Strike that, I used to love VdA, I now love Tom Vasel.

Shame on me for missing all the fun on BGG.com

Later,
Adrian Larson.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game to me looks dull, so I appreciated Tom's review. Honestly its another top rated game that I would never be interested in in the first place but I enjoyed Tom's shellacking of the game, I think I would feel the same way if I ever played it. I guess some people like games like that, {shrug}, whatever rocks their boat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.