Popular Tags: [View All]
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I have to admit it - sometimes I play non-wargames (with my wife and her friends for example) blush but I have absolutely no experience what to get or what is good.

Recently I got a gift - a 25 € card (will add my own money if necessary) for a local game-store (which has NO wargames shake ) so I am looking for a good Eurogame that I can play with my wife:

- Should be for 2 players (necessity) , up to 4 or 6 but definitely fully playable with 2
- Should be available in Germany (so no English - only games)
- lots of nifty bits would be cool

I like:
- Carcasonne (up to the tower expansion)
- Alhambra Big Box (think that the expansions really work well and are very good)
- Dominion (up to the Sea - expansion)

I highly dislike:
- Settlers of Catan yuk

I'm not very fond of Co-op games (this is not school after all).

Anyone has recs for me? I was thinking about Agricola, Pillar of the Earth, or something else.

All you Euro - nerds: Expand my horizon...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Abrunhosa
Portugal
Aveiro
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion
Agricola
Puerto Rico
St. Petersburg
Stone Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob the Hobbit
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Castle for All Seasons would fit the criteria well. It is essentially a really nicely produced rehash of Euro mechanics from earlier games (Caylus), plays fast, one one hand has a fair bit of tension due to simultaneous action selection, on the other planning and calculating are important.

Race for the Galaxy might also work -- not technically a Eurogame, but at least the cards look really good.

Both of those have some specific adjustments in the rules for 2-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kanalja
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
'In Russia all roads lead to Moscow. One chooses the road one wishes. Charles XII chose the road through Poltava.'
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn’t that shop even have eurogame-like wargames, say, Maria? King of Siam is a nice eurogame about area control with a war theme and some wargame like elements. When it comes to pure eurogames Yspahan is one of my favourites. It is an original game that is great fun with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren williams
Wales
maesteg
bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Antike perhaps a little bit of a cross over between war and euro, can be adapted to work for 2 and great with more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ossessione wrote:
Doesn’t that shop even have eurogame-like wargames, say, Maria? King of Siam is a nice eurogame about area control with a war theme and some wargame like elements. When it comes to pure eurogames Yspahan is one of my favourites. It is an original game that is great fun with two players.

These crossover don't work for me - I'm really hardcore when it comes to wargames: Monster wargames, ASL, OCS, EFS - stuff like this.

And my wife would not play a wargame so this (sadly) doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola could work well, or At the Gates of Loyang.

Although some people like the Puerto Rico 2p variant, I'd rather play Cuba, which has better bits and artwork, and plays 2 without a variant.

You might enjoy La Citta:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flannel Golem
United States
Bemidji
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Indigo's suggestion of La Città

Depending on how heavy your wife likes her Eurogames, you might also consider:

Reef Encounter, or

Brass: Lancashire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh for shame Wolfgang!
The End is Nigh!

I don't know if you will like it, but I really Dig Race for the Galaxy, it is a step up from Dominion though. Have you played Puerto Rico? I like that one too, but I haven't played two player. Another idea might be Ra, which also has a two player variant that is apparently good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good recommendations here, but I would second
Stone Age (medium weight)
Agricola (heavier)

I'll also throw in Thurn and Taxis a lighter option.

Nobody has mentioned Power Grid? Possibly because the OP didn't like Settlers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Alphawolf wrote:
Ok, I have to admit it - sometimes I play non-wargames (with my wife and her friends for example) blush but I have absolutely no experience what to get or what is good.

Recently I got a gift - a 25 € card (will add my own money if necessary) for a local game-store (which has NO wargames shake ) so I am looking for a good Eurogame that I can play with my wife:

- Should be for 2 players (necessity) , up to 4 or 6 but definitely fully playable with 2
- Should be available in Germany (so no English - only games)
- lots of nifty bits would be cool

I like:
- Carcasonne (up to the tower expansion)
- Alhambra Big Box (think that the expansions really work well and are very good)
- Dominion (up to the Sea - expansion)

I highly dislike:
- Settlers of Catan yuk

I'm not very fond of Co-op games (this is not school after all).

Anyone has recs for me? I was thinking about Agricola, Pillar of the Earth, or something else.

All you Euro - nerds: Expand my horizon...

I don't even know you anymore.

As suggestions: La Citta a good one, also Conquest of Paradise, Struggle of Empires, Confucius (not 2 player, though), Reef Encounter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You definitely need Tigris & Euphrates. Not only is it the best game ever (TM), but it also has lots of stuff wargamers love--conflict, maneuvering (of a sort), and claiming of territory. Plus, the German Pegasus edition is gorgeous. Some might claim that Tigris is not especially good for 2 players, but they are wrong.
Failing that, Race for the Galaxy is awfully good. But seriously, Tigris is your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to second Tigris & Euphrates.

I mean, come on. Its ID is 42. That tells you everything you need to know, right there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorites is Samurai. It plays well with 2, 3, and 4 (you play with fewer islands with fewer players). Like others, I'd suggest Tigris & Euphrates, but it may be a bit heavy for some Euro players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Miller
United States
Malden
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Warren is a roleplaying game about intelligent rabbits trying to make the best of a world filled with hazards, predators and, worst of all, other rabbits.
badge
Marshall is a Boston-based researcher and game designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to second Stone Age and add Imperial. While I think you would like Race for the Galaxy better, your wife would probably like San Juan better (less hardcore, shorter learning curve). For two, I'd recommend Hive or Jambo as small games for 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Newer games my wife has liked:
Lost Cities
Thurn and Taxis
Battle Line
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers

Older games my wife has liked:
Advanced Civilization
History of the World
Merchant of Venus

Games we plan to try soon:
Alhambra
Jambo
Blue Moon
Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization (she bought me this for my birthday last month)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the hints. I made a list and will check out what the shop has in stock when I'm there next time.

There are even no possibilities to buy wargame - dice or a dice - boot to invest the money into something useful (just kiddin').

To all my wargaming buddies (who replied here): I apologize blush but see it this way: It was a clever strategic move to spend time
a) with my wife
b) and her friends
c) with something better than TV or talks about kids (at least I'm gaming)

AND

d) I could easier sell it to my wife that I'm going to EuroHexaCon next month for a whole week of wargaming laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.