Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This might appear to be a long list of questions. It is intended to be exhaustive, but it does not mean that the game is flawed and confusing - I just wrote all the questions down that people who have played have asked.

Q. Why is the game called The Twelve Doctors?
A. The game features the eleven cannon versions of the Doctor, as portrayed on BBC Television, and The Valeyard. Plus, it was the idea of one of the playtesters, and it sounded kind of cool, fitting in with a history of such titles (Three Doctors, Five Doctors, etc) - I also quite liked the original title: Doctor Who Vs. The Master.

Q. How do I get a copy?
A. The file links - so that you may print your own copy - will be available soonish.

Q. If my current regeneration is tapped sideways (regenerating), and the Master plays Lord President Rassilon, do I have to regenerate again?
A. No. The Master will just have to time his playing of Rassilon a little better.

Q. Why does the Doctor player put the Death Zone into play; surely this is a resource for The Master?
A. The Doctor player places this, increasing the complexity of The Master's plans, because it is suggested that The Doctor travels to the Zone during his quest to thwart his arch-enemy - The Master now needs to figure this location into his Universe-conquering ambitions, and overcome its power value. Plus, it gives The Master player the chance to declare during the after-game post-mortem: "I destroyed Rassilon's Tower in order to defeat you. Nothing would stand in my way!" He just wouldn't have the opportunity to do things like that if the cards were in his own deck. Plus, it could be argued that in the Five Doctors, the Death Zone was as much a threat to The Master as to the Doctors.

Q. Thematically, when I place cards in a timeline column am I supposed to be deploying the companions/marauders on Earth or Gallifrey?
A. No, not in every case. Sure, if you want to think that Romana has been sent to Earth's past then fine, but, obviously, you are not actually placing Logopolis on Earth. The game represents a narrative of the Doctor attempting to thwart The Master, so the idea is that the timelines are linked in some way to the events, people or monsters that you place. It's up to you to decide, if you want for fun, how these interconnect with the actual timeline.

Q. Can the Doctor pay the cost of the Interstellar War card using the Tardis Key or Torchwood HQ?
A. Yes. And the Master could also use his Tardis card to bolster the placing of tokens.

Also, don't forget that the Doctor's current regeneration can still move into a warzone (Interstellar War's chosen column).

Q. If I play Timelord Intervention, do I have to shuffle the Doctor into the deck?
A. No. The Doctor stays in play, but is turned sideways (and replaced with a new regeneration card) to indicate the card's final cost. Please note that if the Doctor was already regenerating when Timelord Intervention was played, you must expend another regeneration card - two in one turn!

Q. How does the actual Twelve Doctors card work?
A. After deciding how many Doctors to deploy, you may play these in any of the three Timeline columns available, ignoring the 4-card limit rule. This exception stands for as long as those Doctors are still in play. Until, other cards are removed/destroyed in the column, bringing the number of cards back down to 4 cards or less - then, the normal card limit is reinstated. Simple, really. Plays easier than it reads.

Q. Why do Baker and Tennant have higher power values than the other Doctors?
A. Because their power reflects popularity and length of tenure. The same applies to the value on the Master's regeneration cards.

Q. The majority of the cards are fairly well matched, in terms of cost-to-power ratio, but a couple of cards (The Daleks, and Raston Warrior Robot) are obviously "better value". Why is this?
A. All the cards' utility is based on the situation you face on the turn in which you drew them, but the couple of cards you mention are, yes, a good deal. This reflects the matching of game to theme. The Daleks are the master race, after all, and the Raston Warrior Robot is supposed to be the ultimate death-dealing weapon. But, many, many times in playtesting, these cards have been pitched aside by players, for the chance to get something else into play. And, interestingly, the Daleks have grown hugely in power since their original creation, specifically to challenge players in their decision of whether to play or discard them. I mean it wouldn't be much of a Dr. Who game if no one ever wanted to play the Cybermen or the Daleks!

Overall, however, the two decks are balanced. The Doctor, for instance, has the Torchwood Team, and that is clearly a better card than your garden variety Auton for the cost, so the Master has the Valeyard to match Torchwood cost-wise.

I have tried extremely hard to make each card useful, and also - more importantly - force the player to make difficult decisions over what cards to play and what cards to pitch or discard. I didn't want certain cards to always be "coin cards", you know, cards that are ditched to put better cards into play. Ultimately, though, players have their own play styles and strategies, and this invariably leads to them discarding particular cards time after time (Turlough or Dalek Emperor spring to mind - though I think they are great). If players think that a card is weak, maybe they haven't looked at it hard enough, or thought about its position in an overarching strategy.

Q. Where is Meglos, The Destroyer, Lytton, Giant Robot, Drashigs, [insert favourite Doctor Who villain or monster], or the Daemons, etc?
A. The game has only 120 cards. I just couldn't fit everything from the Who Universe inside the game architecture. Sorry.

BTW, Meglos and the Drashigs were in at one point, but got dropped during play testing. Maybe another version of them will appear in the future. Meglos, interestingly, was the card most in-then-out-again; he eventually became Dalek Caan.

Q. When do you place tokens?
A. At some non-specific point during each turn, including the turn in which the card was played. So the Axos effectively starts with Power=1.

Q. Is Omega an Alpha Marauder?
A. No. For the game design I needed a very powerful "vanilla" villain who was targeted only by a handful of cards. Omega fitted the bill.

Q. Can you discard Omega to help pay for the cost of the Temporal Anomaly, and then use that card to slap him into play?
A. Yes. It is a temporal anomaly, after all...

Q. Why did you make this game?
A. Because I felt that there were no decent Doctor Who games out there, of any type. Plus, I wanted to play a fast-paced Who-themed card game myself! If no one else was going to bother designing one, I thought that I'd better get to the design table.

Q. Was the game designed from the ground up, with Doctor Who as the theme?
A. I had an idea I wanted to do a 2-player card game in 2008. I started out designing that game with a siege of Jerusalem theme - this was on index cards. During the development of that idea, I toyed with changing the location of the siege to Rorke's Drift. Anyhow, the game started to form up nicely.

During the early days it occurred to me to change the theme once again to a faux-medieval castle siege card game. This I did, with dragons, goblins, and Dwarven crossbowmen, etc. For the longest time the game continued as basically a D&D version of the battle at Helm's Deep.

Then, another idea-bolt struck my mind: how cool would a decent Doctor Who card game be to play? Very. Was my reply. So I took a long, hard, cold look at "Siege".

Now we enter Phase III. I stripped down the essence of the siege game to what was working fluidly, and began rebuilding it from the foundations into Doctor Who. The brainwave was a good one. Dr. Who Vs. The Master played fast and furiously, and everyone who played it liked it. All had valuable suggestions. If you didn't know about the game's history, you would never guess that it was not a full-blooded Who-game.

Lastly Phase IV. This is where the game's at now. Playtested exhaustively. Each card looked at and thought about, more than's good for your sanity. For instance, the card Timelord Intervention has fluctuated from a cost of 0 to 3. I obviously feel that 3 is where it's at, but one playtester argued convincingly for it to be 0-cost.

Of the 120 cards, 90% are a great theme-to-game fit, with only 10% or less a "gamey" necessity to drive the game-engine. All the cards more or less fit their Dr. Who TV counterparts in actuality.

Q. Will there be an expansion?
A. Maybe... It took 18+ months of playtesting, polishing, tweaking, and head scratching to make the game as you see it now - MK.4 no less! And it's all the better for it. But, an expansion, might take some sideways thought, so as not to mess with the deck balance.

I am also not a huge fan of expansions that add complexity, just for the sake of getting on the expansion-card train.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Question by Metalchorus:
Quote:
"When the number of tokens equals the value on the card, replace the card with the Master's next regeneration - any surplus tokens are carried over to the new card."

Does this mean take all of the current tokens and put them on the next card...is this what "surplus" means?

"Surplus tokens" would be any amount that exceeds the amount that triggers the regeneration. The only time when this might happen is when you crack a planet, and you are one token from regenerating the Master. So the one excess token is carried over to the next regeneration of the Master.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good question by Metalchorus:
Quote:
Regeneration rules question:

The Doctor player may also, once per turn, do one of the following (after replacing the current regeneration card with the next regeneration card and turning it 90'):
 Draw a card.
 Reduce the cost of a card in his hand by one.
If the regeneration card is still turned on its side during the Master's attack phase, then that card's power is not added to the Doctor's power total. At the beginning of the Doctor's new turn, make sure you upright the current regeneration card.

This means I can do this ONLY after playing a regeneration card correct?
This goes for the Master as well correct?

I can't ACTUALLY do this once per turn in other words.

Explain how, why and when to turn the Doctor card 90 degrees, I'm not clear on this for some reason.

Right, yes, each Doctor/Master "power" is a one-shot deal, and you can only choose one of them. During the replacement of the regeneration card, the "new" regeneration is put into play sideways/tapped - to indicate that its power is not added, but also to keep his place in the column (the Master's regeneration isn't ever tapped, because it's never put into a column or have any power value to add).

Example: I am the Doctor, and decide to draw another card. So after drawing the card, I replace Pertwee with Baker (who comes into play tapped). The Doctor himself can do no more that turn - and his power does not add to the total ofr the column.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some questions! Feel free to delete the thread once you've added them to your list of FAQs.

Some cards (like Rose Tyler) say "Can only be destroyed by a specific tech card". Does this mean any tech card that destroys a card can destroy Rose but she couldn't be destroyed by 'Exterminate!' since this isn't a tech card?

Can you use card-destroying cards (like De-mat Gun) to destroy your own cards? (very un-Doctor like I know but you might have foolishly blocked up your columns with rubbish companions!)

Romana II - She starts off in the Doctor's play area. Can you bring her into play at any time or does she only replace Romana when she gets destroyed (so might never enter play if Romana doesn't)?

Eye of Orion - The second thing you can do with the tokens says 'Drawing a card'. I assume this only applies when you're forced to draw cards at the start of your turn or does it mean I could discard a token to draw a card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question!

When the Master destroys Skaro exactly which cards does this effect? Is it just Dalek & Davros marauders or cards like Ex-ter-min-ate!" as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leighbob wrote:
Another question!

When the Master destroys Skaro exactly which cards does this effect? Is it just Dalek & Davros marauders or cards like Ex-ter-min-ate!" as well?

Good question. All Dalek-themed cards are effected: Exterminate! and Dalek Caan, Davros and his powerful one-shot card, etc. The Supreme Race don't take too kindly to the destruction of their planet, don't you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leighbob wrote:
Some questions! Feel free to delete the thread once you've added them to your list of FAQs.

Some cards (like Rose Tyler) say "Can only be destroyed by a specific tech card". Does this mean any tech card that destroys a card can destroy Rose but she couldn't be destroyed by 'Exterminate!' since this isn't a tech card?

Can you use card-destroying cards (like De-mat Gun) to destroy your own cards? (very un-Doctor like I know but you might have foolishly blocked up your columns with rubbish companions!)

Romana II - She starts off in the Doctor's play area. Can you bring her into play at any time or does she only replace Romana when she gets destroyed (so might never enter play if Romana doesn't)?

Eye of Orion - The second thing you can do with the tokens says 'Drawing a card'. I assume this only applies when you're forced to draw cards at the start of your turn or does it mean I could discard a token to draw a card?

Okay. Q1: Rose and Omega are the only 2 cards with "Specific tech" in the wording, as you noticed. I had to do this, after much frowning, because during playtesting, a couple of guys kept asking whether Sonic Screwdriver (a tech card) could be used against Omega, or a Temporal Anomaly use against Omega, etc - they used to say "Can only be destroyed by Tech cards". Now the only 2 cards that can kill Omega is the Hand of Omega [chuckles] and the Dematt Gun (though you could drop him into the Krop Tor black hole). Same thing applies to Rose. My thought process was not to have a laundry list on those 2 cards of what could effect them.

I can word them differently in future, if they're still confusing.

Q2. Rubbish companions! How dare you say that of Mel...
Yes, you could do that, but there's no need.

Oops, rules ommission: there should be a line stating that you can replace a companion by putting a new one in their place - the old is put into the discard pile. Me bad.

Q3. Romana II is the first Romana's regeneration. She only enters play if the 1st is destroyed. So, you'e right, she may never enter play.

Q4. Eye of Orion is a really good question. I thought that the card was worded pretty clearly, and it is a rule that can save your ass. You may want to take of a token to stop from drawing a card in your draw phase - after all, you lose when you run out of cards. The tricky part is deciding if it's a good idea.

Thanks, Leigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now altered the wording on Rose Tyler and Omega - so that should clear up any further questions by anybody new getting a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More questions from another close game. Kath had 1 token on John Simm but she forced me to disrupt my last cards from my deck! Enjoyed it again and looking forward to finally playing as the Master!

1. The victory condition about drawing a card...does this apply to drawing a card to disrupt or only drawing at the start of the turn?

2. Can the Master blow up a planet on the doctor's turn to get cards to meet a condition applied on him by the doctor? I played Shadow Proc to force Kath to repay cost of Dalek Emperor but she only had 3 cards in her hand. Could she blow up Telos to get 2 cards to then pay the cost and keep the Dalek card?

3. I'm pretty sure the Cybermen Alpha Maurauder's effect applies every turn but just wanted to double check...its nasty!

4. If the Doctor prevents all disruptions via token discard on the Master's attack phase does this count as a successful disruption for the Master in terms of adding a token to one of his regenerations?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Leighbob wrote:
More questions from another close game. Kath had 1 token on John Simm but she forced me to disrupt my last cards from my deck! Enjoyed it again and looking forward to finally playing as the Master!

1. The victory condition about drawing a card...does this apply to drawing a card to disrupt or only drawing at the start of the turn?

2. Can the Master blow up a planet on the doctor's turn to get cards to meet a condition applied on him by the doctor? I played Shadow Proc to force Kath to repay cost of Dalek Emperor but she only had 3 cards in her hand. Could she blow up Telos to get 2 cards to then pay the cost and keep the Dalek card?

3. I'm pretty sure the Cybermen Alpha Maurauder's effect applies every turn but just wanted to double check...its nasty!

4. If the Doctor prevents all disruptions via token discard on the Master's attack phase does this count as a successful disruption for the Master in terms of adding a token to one of his regenerations?

Cheers!

1. Not entirely sure what you mean by "drawing a card to disrupt". If you can't draw a card - and disrupting isn't drawing - you lose, however that may come to pass.

2. No. It's considered that the preparations involved in destroying a planet take time and effort on the Master's part. Nice try!

3. The Cybermen are very nasty. Yes, they can reduce the power of the planet each turn, if you so choose, and hammer it with their 4 power attack. Or, if the Doctor is too strong defending a column, the Cybermen can just sit back disrupting the Doctor's deck, or destroy a nexus point each turn. That's why they're so expensive.

4. If you prevent the disrupting of cards into your discard pile, by any means, you have thwarted the Master's plans for that turn, and need to place a token on his regeneration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mark.

I think with point 1 we were confusing the act of 'drawing a card' (i.e. taking a card from the top of your draw pile) to the game action of 'Drawing a card' (i.e. taking a card from the draw pile and placing it in your hand.)

Another question has just come to me! If the Doctor has no cards in his draw pile and the Master tries to disrupt but can't (because there's nothing in the draw pile) does the Master get a token?

Its only because both games have been so close in terms of victory that we wanted to clear these things up and make sure we're playing it right! (which to my mind is the sign of a good game)

I feel a rematch coming tonight! (another sign of a good game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If the Doctor has no cards in his draw pile and the Master tries to disrupt but can't (because there's nothing in the draw pile) does the Master get a token?

Oooh. That's another casualty of my rush to get the rules out (I feel a rules v2 approaching!). In that very rare case, the Doctor would lose immediately.

If the Master forces the Doctor to disrupt more cards from the Doctor's deck than is available, then the Master claims an immediate victory. Muhahaha!

For example:

The Doctor has 1 card left in his deck. On his turn, the Master plays Weeping Angels to destroy Adric and disrupt 2 cards. Since the Doctor cannot fulfil this requirement, the Master can then claim victory.

The same thing can occur in the Master's attack phase, using the marauders' standard power attack total versus the Doctor's defense total. If the Doctor cannot disrupt the full requirement, he loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darron Bowley
England
flag msg tools
Hi Mark, played the game for the first time yesterday, got to say I really like it. There was one thing that I wasn't clear on: playing cards in your opponents turn?

There was one Doctor card (I can't remember what it was called) but it basically prevents 10 points of disruption, this seems only really useful if it can be played during the Masters turn. The rules seem to suggest you can only play cards in your own turn and, as I recall, the card itself does not directly address if it can be played out of sequence or not.

Am I missing something here? are there any other cards intended/allowed to be played out of sequence?

Cheers

Daz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darron wrote:
Hi Mark, played the game for the first time yesterday, got to say I really like it. There was one thing that I wasn't clear on: playing cards in your opponents turn?

There was one Doctor card (I can't remember what it was called) but it basically prevents 10 points of disruption, this seems only really useful if it can be played during the Masters turn. The rules seem to suggest you can only play cards in your own turn and, as I recall, the card itself does not directly address if it can be played out of sequence or not.

Am I missing something here? are there any other cards intended/allowed to be played out of sequence?

Cheers

Daz

Daz, glad you enjoyed the game!

Yeah, the 'Reverse the polarity of the neutron flow' card is designed to be played by the Doctor from his hand during the Master's turn. 'Sometimes my brilliance astonishes even me' is similar also. Likewise, the Master has his 'Forcefield' card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darron Bowley
England
flag msg tools
Cool, I kinda thought that but it wasn't explicit. I'd advise highlighting these exceptions in the rules somewhere as they do break from the norm and it might be confusing otherwise. luckily for us Liegh was there talking us through it. if he wasn't we might have stumbled over that one.

Cheers

Daz

P.S. I really like the asymmetric 'siege' system you've developed. Looking forward to seeing the Aliens one too when it's ready. Also, I had an idea for another theme that might work – D-day landings. instead of the earth & gallifray cards you have the 5 beaches and the role of the Master (attacker) is taken by the allies (& the Doctor the Germans). The decks could represent resources and the Doctor/master cards could represent time. the allies are trying to burn through the Germans resources before they run out of resources or time themselves.

The only thing I'm not sure on is how there being 5 sites to attack instead 3 would affect game balance.

Would you mind if I had a crack at this idea using your game as a basis?

Daz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
I've now altered the wording on Rose Tyler and Omega - so that should clear up any further questions by anybody new getting a copy.

What is the correct wording now specifically for these two cards, as in what should the cards say exactly?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
metalchorus wrote:
Yugblad wrote:

What is the correct wording now specifically for these two cards, as in what should the cards say exactly?

Thanks

Here goes, Hank:

Rose: Can only be destroyed by Companion-destroying Tech cards.
Omega: Can only be destroyed by 'The Hand of Omega' and the 'Demat Gun'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Cool, I kinda thought that but it wasn't explicit. I'd advise highlighting these exceptions in the rules somewhere as they do break from the norm and it might be confusing otherwise. luckily for us Liegh was there talking us through it. if he wasn't we might have stumbled over that one.

Very glad you're enjoying the game, Darron.

Leigh's rewriting the rules as we speak. He so much better at that kind of thing than I am! I just banged V.1 out so there was something for folks to use while I retooled them.

I'd be interested to hear your WW2 ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: If a timeline column is full with the limit of 4 cards, can I discard one or more from play to put new cards into the column?

A: Only the Doctor can replace cards (companions and nexus points) with new. The Master has to plan his next attack in other columns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.