Brass: Lancashire» Forums » Rules

Subject: Refilling the Coal on the Demand Track! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was teaching new players last night and a question came up which I wasn't 100% sure. (Dang this game takes a long time to explain, so many things for the players to know!!)

When there is spots free on the Iron demand track, when you build an iron works, you immediately replenish the Iron demand and get the cash from doing so.

Now since Coal needs to be connected to a port to be able to move any coal to an industry being built or to the Coal demand, let's say there are 4 spots free on the Coal demand track. Player A builds a level 2 or 3 coal mine in a city that isn't connected at all to a port. From what I understand, since it it's connected to a port, the coal cannot be moved to the Coal demand track. Now if in later turns me or another player build rails/canal that connects Player's A coal mine to a port, if there is still spaces free on the Coal demand track, do we use player's A coal on his coal mine to refill the Coal demand?

The way I explained it is that you can only fill up the Demand track with a type of resource on the same turn you build your industry. So in my exemple above, I told the guy he couldn't fill up the Coal demand track in later turns when his coal mine will actually be connected to a port. I'm pretty sure I read something about this here but can't remember. Though I find it a bit strange that even in later turns, if there is still Coal demand and that you have access to a port with your coal mine, that you can't replenish the Coal demand.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
mb
Bobthesnake wrote:
Now if in later turns me or another player build rails/canal that connects Player's A coal mine to a port, if there is still spaces free on the Coal demand track, do we use player's A coal on his coal mine to refill the Coal demand?

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
When you build a coal industry tile you only fill up the coal if the tile is connected to a port when you build it. If it isn't, the coal cubes stay on the tile. If the tile is connected to a port later in the game, you don't fill up the coal track with cubes from that coal industry tile. You explained it correctly.

It's in the rules somewhere, but I can't check where right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AlexL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
It's in the rules somewhere, but I can't check where right now.

In the English rules it's in the paragraph in italics headed "Important" at the end of page 4/start of page 5.

Quote:
IMPORTANT: If at the point at which you build your mine it is connected to a constructed port then you MUST immediately move coal cubes from it to fill any empty spaces on the Coal Demand track. For each empty space you fill you take an amount from the bank equal to the amount shown to the left of the space. You fill the track from the bottom upwards. This
money is taken after you have paid for building the coal mine, it cannot be used to pay for the coal mine. Note that if your coal mine is not connected to a constructed port when built but then becomes connected in a later turn you do NOT move cubes from it to the Coal Demand track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roderick Schertler
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the rules wrote:
Note that if your coal mine is not connected to a constructed port when built but then becomes connected in a later turn you do NOT move cubes from it to the Coal Demand track.

I hadn't noticed before that it says "in a later turn" here. I suspect this is poorly worded, and that even if you connect it with your second action in the same turn you don't sell the coal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Snake? What happened? Snake! Snaaaaaake!
badge
Your eyebrows won't save you now.
mbmbmbmbmb
::shock:: poor wording?

It is also true that coal built with your first action does not sell if you connect it to a port with your second action.

He should have stopped while he was ahead. All that needed to be said was something to the effect:

Coal must be connected to a port to sell. Coal sells to the demand track when a coal mine is built and there is space. Otherwise coal will remain on the coal mine until used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Eve
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think the reason for this rule is that otherwise, if two unflipped coal mines were simultaneously connected to a port, you would have to have rules regarding which one the coal should come from to fill the demand track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.