Chun Ping
Singapore
Portland
OREGON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm new to decktet and has only play a few solitaire games of Adaman, Jacynth, Caravan, Bharg, Quäsenbö and frogger to get a few of how the thing work.

so far, i've not really understand the magic of decktet though i'm very willing to learn it. However, i doubt my friends will be as enthusiastic about learning the game with me. I do however, have a chance to impress them with something short and sweet. If my first game with them is successful, there's chance that i can upgrade them to other decktet games in the future.

to cut the long story short, i'm looking for recommendation on how to introduce decktet to my friends, all of whom are non gamers, or at most played battleline and lost cities with me? what decktet offers that is different but more interesting than a standard deck of cards.

I would also appreciate any suggestion on how i can journey through the decktet myself. I'm interested to get a pdf version of the book eventually, but right now, i want to get my friends to enjoy it before making that leap.

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess what you've done is ok. Try a few games, see what your friends might like from those you tried. My favorite decktet games might not be the ones you and your friends enjoy the most or viceversa... That's the magic of the decktet for me: the fact it is just a deck but a different deck. The games I can play with a decktet are games I just can't play any other way, and it has enough variety that I'm bound to find something I like.

So I could tell you that I love Jacynth, Caravan, Magnate, Quincunx and my own Dueling Runes and Fifth Challenge (that last one more with my kid), but that could be meaningless to you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Friend--Decktet, Decktet--Friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My first response to the question: "how to introduce Decktet" usually jumps to some of the more exotic games like Magnate or Jacynth or Chancellors. Playing games that quickly remind people of classic games (for example, Terrapin is similar to Poker) always ends up with them asking why we aren't playing that classic game instead.

However, if you want something short and sweet then maybe Chicane is a good choice. The rules are quite quite standard as trick-taking games go... but the game makes good use of dual-suited cards and helps new people to understand the deck structure.

Another good choice might be Bharg. It's got simple rules and is easy to start playing. The game isn't super deep... but that's not what you are asking for right?

Neither of those are the best games Decktet can offer in my opinion, but both are playable and would be easy to teach new people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.