Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: diy [+] [View All]
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm already thinking of ways to pimp this game. For starters, I've placed the Heroes and Villain cards in 5x7 top loaders. They're thick, sturdy, and protective as heck. I'll eventually put the cards in protective sleeves.

In addition, I'd like to use red, glass jewels instead of wooden cubes for tracking health. The round glass beads may stay in place better, look so less Euro and fit in well with the circular motif of the game.
In that regard, the money needs to be circular and fit within the circular space of the heroes' cards. Again, I may get some colored jewels - blue for 100 and yellow for 500. Or scan the coin cards, print, cut and paste just the coin image on thick cardboard.

Don't get me wrong, the game is handsome and just fine as it's sold. But if I were to pimp it, I'd want more circular components to fit in with game motif (just look at that wonderful box cover art!)

Any other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
~Ryan McSwain
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Pimping Catacombs
Great ideas. I especially like the idea of something else for money. I'm always a fan of metal coins if one can make it happen.

I saw something somewhere (I think it was the faq) that mentioned failed attempts at making a frame for the playing field. I'm not sure what would work other than a wooden frame made to fit the board. That would be sweet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Nutt
United States
Ontario
Oregon
flag msg tools
bah bah bah bah....woof
badge
My...what big teeth you have
mbmbmbmbmb
I love metal coins in games, and I have spent blush far too much money on them. Jeez, might have just have picked up real gold for that matter. But if you are interested, then here are a couple of ideas.

www.deadmentellnotales.com is a pirate site that sells Ersatz coins. The pieces of 8 and gold dubloons are just awesome. I purchase a ton of them, and a couple of treasure chests as well to load them up in.

Another idea, and another one that I have invested too much coin in (pun intended) is Campaign Coins. You can pick them up on E-Bay, or Piazzo.com or Thoughthammer.com etc. They are nice. Good feel excellent texture.

That was the first thing I did with the game is trade out the coin. Looks great. Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
The ultimate pimp for this game would be nice wooden boards with fixed obstacles to replace the grey discs in holes on cardboard. You could copy the design of any decent Crokinole board for ideas.

A fixed table, with a trough around the playing surface with and edge just beyond to contain the discs when they fly off the board. The fixed boards would be swapped in and out and sit into the table.

Of course it would no longer fit nicely into a small square box...

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Impr3ssion wrote:

I saw something somewhere (I think it was the faq) that mentioned failed attempts at making a frame for the playing field. I'm not sure what would work other than a wooden frame made to fit the board. That would be sweet.

I read that as well. It seems a border around the board would also get in the way of flicking when near the edge?

nyjil wrote:
I love metal coins in games, and I have spent blush far too much money on them. Jeez, might have just have picked up real gold for that matter. But if you are interested, then here are a couple of ideas.

www.deadmentellnotales.com is a pirate site that sells Ersatz coins. The pieces of 8 and gold dubloons are just awesome. I purchase a ton of them, and a couple of treasure chests as well to load them up in.

Another idea, and another one that I have invested too much coin in (pun intended) is Campaign Coins. You can pick them up on E-Bay, or Piazzo.com or Thoughthammer.com etc. They are nice. Good feel excellent texture.

That was the first thing I did with the game is trade out the coin. Looks great. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! I Looked a bit on eBay and the Campaign Coins do look pricey. Appears they can be bought as three coins. I may look in the dollars stores around town for plastic coins. Thanks again.

Thunder wrote:
The ultimate pimp for this game would be nice wooden boards with fixed obstacles to replace the grey discs in holes on cardboard. You could copy the design of any decent Crokinole board for ideas.

A fixed table, with a trough around the playing surface with and edge just beyond to contain the discs when they fly off the board. The fixed boards would be swapped in and out and sit into the table.

Of course it would no longer fit nicely into a small square box...

Peace

Yeah, any woodworking is out of my league. Heh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had an idea for homemade coins. Use the Sands of Time logo and add '100' and '500' across the image!
Need to learn how to tint the image in Photoshop to help differentiate the coin types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way would be to strengthen the contrast a bit, then print the logo on light grey and orange sheets of paper or cardboard and mount two of them on some nice, extra dense material (laser cut mdf?) to create "silver" and "golden" coins - you don`t need any numbers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:

Rob, that's exactly it! You are badass. Thank you!

When I posted the suggestion, I went out to wash down the truck. All the while thinking it would be redundant to re-imagine the coin graphic in the game. But c'mon, that Sands of Time graphic is just too cool not to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't print 'em off as of yet. Give me a few minutes to refine 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You find a high res pic of the logo here:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
The easiest way would be to strengthen the contrast a bit, then print the logo on light grey and orange sheets of paper or cardboard and mount two of them on some nice, extra dense material (laser cut mdf?) to create "silver" and "golden" coins - you don`t need any numbers

I like that idea too. But the 100 and 500 are essential to me.

Nice find of that high-quality image!

EDIT:
Rob, love the border and highlight. Thank you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zombiegod wrote:

Another 8 for high res versions - I think of making myself rather BIG dubloons - the gold a bit larger than the silver.
Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catacombastic!
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed.

Rob, I'm out of geek gold. Any more glorious efforts by you will need to wait in order to get paid.

Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can pay me in Catacoins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, if anyone could tell me, how many of them there are in the game (10 gold, 30 silver?) I could print and finish them, even before the game arrives!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Exactly my question, too..

Call me crazy, but I'm costing out and thinking about ordering THAT coins with a similar design as zombiegod..

85eur only for the tool to emboss the coins..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Amos
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Included in the game are 12 gold and 28 silver coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chobe wrote:
Call me crazy, but I'm costing out and thinking about ordering THAT coins with a similar design as zombiegod..

You are crazy.
If you something like that, you should let people know here to pre-order coins. If you let them make more coins of the same kind and let others pay a bit more than the pure "cost per coin", you could minimize your total costs ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael H.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Because that's my plan, I wrote "costing out"..
I'm just waiting until more people have their games, then I'll start to obtain quotes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

One of these would make cutting the coins out easier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jourdan
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah... My hands hurt thinking of cutting out all those coins....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.