Subject: Talking to "corrupted" characters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If Dain, Saruman, Denethor, or Theoden are "corrupted" by a plot, will the heroes get their corruption card before or after talking to them? It says "when a hero talks to..." and there are three timing issues:

Getting the card, getting the favor/item, getting your favor as the Gondor woman.

We've played it where you get all your stuff and then get corruption, but now I'm doubting myself. It only matters for the "end immediately" card and the "drop 2 favor card", but those are pretty crucial cards.

Also related and maybe asked before but I'm lazy, if Gondor girl fits the Serpent and loses, does she get her rewards for the combat before resolving the "dying" effects (thus losing one of the favors she got) or does she die and then receive the reward for fighting him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably follow the "Choose the Dark Path" ruling from the FAQ, Favor/goodies first, Corruption second. For Eleanor, Favor/goodies, bonus, Corruption.

If Eleanor has the Near Harad/Combat Black Serpent Mission, she would get the Favor at the end of the combat, then suffer the defeated penalties I think. Since she can reach Near Harad on turn one (BS should be there, if not, no need to even fight him), she really shouldn't get defeated during that one combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
If Eleanor has the Near Harad/Combat Black Serpent Mission, she would get the Favor at the end of the combat, then suffer the defeated penalties I think. Since she can reach Near Harad on turn one (BS should be there, if not, no need to even fight him), she really shouldn't get defeated during that one combat.

This is what usually happens, but sometimes it's like sorting that awful pile of papers on your desk; you have other things to do, you put it off, you do some errands, you remember you need to do it for your mission, and then you take 15 corruption from a Morgul Blade.

See the "Dark Paths" ruling (which we had always done right) got me thinking about the corrupted characters' timing. It says "when you talk to him" so we had always thought "when it has happened" rather then "right as you talk to him." You know, like he treats you all friendly then says something really mean that gets you depressed as you're walking out the door.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's my view on the Corruption thing as well. He seems all nice and pleasant but it's only later that you realize he wasn't such a nice guy at all, but of course it's too late to do anything about it then, you feel the corruption crawling inside you sauron .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.