Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to get my head around the rules, and I'm struggling with how Cavalry enter the game.

Since each side starts with only one cavalry unit available for recruitment, I'm guessing it must be imperative to get that unit into a battle immediately so that it can be promoted, which puts the militia cavalry counter back in the recruitment pool for the next turn... correct?

This seems a very tedious way to get cavalry into the game, unless there is another way to recruit or draft cavalry?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, you aren't missing anything. They are hard to get. Can't you use the free promotion each turn for Cav? Been awhile since I played last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavalry played a very minor role in the American Civil War and this is accurately reflected in the rules. The tales of Stuart, Greer and Forrest may be stirring but in all honesty, they were a sideshow.

Jim
Est. 1949

Edit: spelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you assume that promotion can only be achieved during battle, you're wrong. Brad is right, you can use your free promotion for the cavalry units (and immediately recruit a militia cav unit thereafter). The only unit that can solely be gained after a victorious battle is the crack infantry, and that only if using an optional rule.

But even then, it may look tedious to build up cav. However, note the devastating effect that cavalry jump moves may have. A Confederate cav build up in the northeast is a dangerous thread to the Union, and if not countered correctly, a sudden Confed victory is achieved more often than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like others have answered the question. I'll just add that it's not as tedious as it might at first seem. It starts out slow, but you can get your cavalry units to multiply quickly after a while.

They'll never dominate in numbers, of course, as that'd be grossly ahistorical. But they can sure cause a stir once you get 'em going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great points from everyone. I just wanted confirmation before I go through a trial game later today.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.