Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been owning Dixit for a couple of months, but it just never hits the table. Usually only play mano-a-woman with the wife when at home. So it goes.

Last night my sister with her hubby was visiting, and while they're all avid fans of Ticket to Ride: Europe, it was getting late, they had to get up early, and I took this as an argument to bring out Dixit, seeing as it has short rules, no downtime and it just might be fun. They were doubting me (I'm looking at you wifey) but I persevered and got my way!

I started to explain the rules, made a total mess out of it (I am always the designated rulesexplainer, and I suck at it), and then did a trial turn instead and everyone got it, except for points distribution, but really, you don't need to know that anyway, just keep the rules on the table until you know them by heart and off you go.

We wanted a short and quick game, due to time constraints, so there was very little talking at first, but as we neared the middle of the pack people were beginning to say how much they liked the game. We didn't try and talk each other into voting any which way (not sure if that's kosher) which is a tactic that I'm probably going to try next time, seeing as this time around my clues were way too easy, and I was way way behind the others in points most of the time.

When we finished it seems like everyone wanted another round, but again, it was getting late so we tucked in for the night. I'm sure Dixit will hit the table again soon, wife's already telling me we have to invite some people over so we can play it again. I'm not sure how this works into my swinging-scheme, but I guess it's a step in the right direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I have had this game sitting around, staring at me with doleful eyes for the past several months. After reading your session report, I have just determined that I will "get this on the table" in the next 10 days.

Thanks for the short, yet direct to my sensibilities (and situation) report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
residue wrote:
Usually only play mano-a-woman with the wife when at home.

?! How do you play Dixit 2-player? The non-storyteller surely knows which card they played and which card the storyteller played, and there's no one else to be tricked by the non-storyteller's card and guess it instead of the real one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
residue wrote:
Usually only play mano-a-woman with the wife when at home.

?! How do you play Dixit 2-player? The non-storyteller surely knows which card they played and which card the storyteller played, and there's no one else to be tricked by the non-storyteller's card and guess it instead of the real one.

I think he is saying that he typically plays other games 2-player with his wife, and he finally had a chance to play Dixit because he had more people available. I don't think he plays Dixit 2P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
HuckmanT wrote:
I think he is saying that he typically plays other games 2-player with his wife, and he finally had a chance to play Dixit because he had more people available. I don't think he plays Dixit 2P.

Doh! Ok, that makes more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a game I pull out with my gamer buddies, but it's perfect when non-gamer family members visit, or with company. I truly enjoy Dixit, and can't say that for the other games we used to play in such circumstances.

residue wrote:
We didn't try and talk each other into voting any which way (not sure if that's kosher) which is a tactic that I'm probably going to try next time, seeing as this time around my clues were way too easy, and I was way way behind the others in points most of the time.

I think you'd do better to simply offer more obscure clues. We don't allow discussion until everyone has made their choice. At that point, somebody usually has something to say about how they thought such-and-such card fit the clue, or what they thought someone else would think. It's the window into one another's minds, and the laughter that follows, which make this such a fine game.

The artist can't be praised highly enough. The pictures are so evocative, just ambiguous enough and containing sufficient interesting details to support myriad associations, and keep the game fresh through successive plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias D
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
HuckmanT wrote:

Aye, what he said. Sorry for being ambigious. Dixit made me do it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
residue wrote:
russ wrote:
HuckmanT wrote:

Aye, what he said. Sorry for being ambigious. Dixit made me do it

Dixit will do it, cause Dixit doooooooon't care! (2 GG to whomever gets that reference)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.