Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Going back to school for science fiction rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hans Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having recently gone back to gaming, I'm now kind of doing another comeback. I'm just enrolling in a university course again. Last one I took was English Literature in 1996 or so.

This will be a distance course, and I'll take it while still working full time (it's not a full-time course).

When I took English Lit, I don't think there were any university-level courses in science fiction or fantasy, but now there are a few, and I going to try one from the university in Lund in southern Sweden, called "Science fiction - feminist perspectives on utopias/dystopias".

Literature list:

Octavia Butler: Dawn
I have only read one title by Butler (Parable of the Sower), but that was pretty good.

Ghost in the Shell (film)
I've seen this and liked it, but it was pretty long ago so I don't remember the details.

Marge Piercy: He, she and it
I've read about this in many places. but I haven't read the actual book.

Mary Shelley: Frankenstein
My batchelor's thesis in English Lit was about Frankenstein and Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, so I'm pretty familiar with this one. If anyone happens to be interested, the full text is available: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~unicorn/criticism/artif_men/am.ht...

Star Trek (film)
This will probably be new to me. I've seen very little Star Trek.

Kirkup, Janes, Woodward, Hovenden, eds: The Gendered Cyborg: a reader
Constance Penley: Nasa/Trek: popular science and sex in America
I haven't heard about either of the non-fiction titles.

I'm definitely looking forward to this, and since I've been an sf geek for longer than I've been a game geek, I hope it won't take too much time away from life. It'll also be interesting to see what it's like to take a discussion course over the Internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always a pleasure to hear from other life long learners out there. I myself went back to school recently. This summer I took a course in Cisco Networking and another in Data Structures and Algorithms. I was quite charged by all of this and now I am considering going for a Masters degree in Computer Science. Now if I can just convince my local university to offer night courses...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooh Octavia Butler. Dawn is the first part of a larger story, which has been sold as either "Xenogenesis" or more recently "Lilith's Brood." In any case, it's a good one. If you enjoy Dawn, be sure to seek out the other 2/3 of the story (I think they are "Adulthood Rites" and "Imago").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Butler
I found Butler a decade or so back - at which point it was almost impossible to find her books outside of used book stores, a situation that has thankfully improved since. Having read everything of her's I could find, I'd heartily recommend them all. She's not my very favorite author (that would be Bujold), but she's right up there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Allen
Australia
Ngunnawal, Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Science fiction - feminist perspectives on utopias/dystopias".

For some expanded reading, maybe try something like 'The Dispossessed' by Ursula LeGuin ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.