Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmb
I have just picked up two books because I know squat & diddly about this historical period, and though I am much more interested in the 100 Years War, if I am going to play the other scenario, I need sold background in order to appreciate it.

I have Lionheart & Lackland: King Richard, King John and the Wars of Conquest, by Frank McLynn. I am sure this sells under a different--shorter?--title in the States.

The other book is: Eleanor of Aquitaine, by Ralph Turner.

The only McLynn title I bought was his 1759 book. I am not sure what to make of him; if nothing else--and he might be nothing else--he is accessible. Turner is an unknown, as is his subject material; beyond her name, on and off a game counter, I only know Eleanor by reputation or as a Rigby.

What would the great minds of BGG suggest? If they won't chime in, I'll open up the floor to everyone else.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jus ren
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mb
A great book to read about Henry II & his sons including Richard, before he became king, is "Henry II" by W L Warren by Yale Books. Be warned though it is a big read. Another book, thankfully a lot thinner is "Richard I" by John Gillingham, again by Yale Books. A book about the campaigns of king Stephen is called "Stephen & Matilda" by John Bradbury, which concentrates on the warfare in England & Normandy up to to Henry II's accession. I put the last one in in case you thought I was sponsored by Yale.
If you want to read novels based on the period, Sharon Penman has written an excellent trilogy consisting of "When Christ & his Saints Slept (King Stephen & Matilda & young King Henry II), Time & Chance (King Henry II) & Devil's Brood (concentrates on the war between Henry II and his sons). Okay I'll stop now, but I hope this may of some help to you.

PU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, PU. Just how many times can a person say this without being insulting?

Henry II" by W L Warren by Yale Books--I hvae seen this on-line and would like to get it. I also see Warren has some other titles under my belt.

I was--am--totally clueless in regards to this Robin Hood/Richard the Lionhearted/King John "stuff," having confined it more to myth that truth. My loss of knowledge that I hope to redeem.

Having mentioned Richard the Lionhearted, which counter is his in the game? I found John Lackland's, but I have yet to identify Richard's. Kindly tell me the obvious I am missing.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george seary
United States
endwell
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard I is 'the Lionhearted'.
Apparently didn't speak English (at least when crowned)
Spent ~6 months total in England during his reign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
armadaman wrote:
Richard I is 'the Lionhearted'.
Apparently didn't speak English (at least when crowned)
Spent ~6 months total in England during his reign?

Thanks, George. It is interesting to see that his counter may go either French or English. Perhaps he didn't care two eggs for the French in real life, hence his choice to side across the channel.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jus ren
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry for taking so long to reply, I completely forgot to check this threadwhistle. Severus you were asking about other books Warren has written. The only one I know for sure is King John (Henry's son, Richard's brother). Be aware however that this wrote this before Henry II by at least 10 years, and while it is a good read, I didn't find it as detailed as Henry II. Although That may be a good thing. Just as a sidline there is a good book that summarises the major battles of the Hundred Years war, in an enjoyable & easy to read manner with maps & photographs. It's called "The Hundred Years War" by Robin Neillands. It even includes a bit about Henry II etc, starting with how the basis of the Hundred Years War could have started so long ago.

I read a lot of this stuff, but I have only started wargaming, amd I always look at games you can play solo, to try them out first before playing with friends. I'm a complete novice at this stuff. I haven't got Warriors of God, although it is a period I'm very interested in, although I'm not sure how it willl play solo, and I seriously don't think I have room on my standard sized round (unfortunately) dining table. I've played a solo game of Men & Iron (Falkirk) Scenario, and have ordered the Agincourt Scenario with C3i Magazine. I'll stop there, as like a said before I do go on a bit, and I'm quite a quiet person normally
Glad if some of this (obviously not all of it will) helps at all. By the way I live in Nottingham, so Robin Hood pretty much regulates the international tourist industry around here.arrrh

PU
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jus ren
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mb
Severus Snape said: Thanks, PU. Just how many times can a person say this without being insulting?

Maybe I should sign myself off as Pew or Pugh then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
I read a lot of this stuff, but I have only started wargaming, amd I always look at games you can play solo, to try them out first before playing with friends. I'm a complete novice at this stuff. I haven't got Warriors of God, although it is a period I'm very interested in, although I'm not sure how it willl play solo, and I seriously don't think I have room on my standard sized round (unfortunately) dining table

PU/PEW--just don't change your initials to FU/FEW. arrrh

I have found Warriors of God to be excellent for solo play. It took a half-dozen plays, give or take a half-dozen, to finally remember to play with all the rules. Now the trick is to play both sides balanced and to play both sides well. My last full game saw the French win with one victory point. The English would have won if they had made their area control rolls. Even in solo play, it is fun and tension filled when you play both sides to the best of your ability.

Maybe it is time for a new kitchen table?! You need to get this and play it.

Thanks for your book contributions. I would buy every single one if only I had the money to buy every single one.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jus ren
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mb
Many thanks Severus, you're very welcome again.

I know what you mean about the price of books, but I've just had a look for you, and "The Hundred Years" book by Robin Neillands is on ebay for £6.90 or $10.63 to buy, no bidding involved. Downside is it's in the UK, and postage to Canada would be $5.80 apparently accoring to the vendor. You might be able to fing some other bargains on ebay or elsewhere.

Many Thanks for telling me about how to play Warriors of God solo. As for the table, as soon as I've sorted out my spare room, I might buy a cheap rectangular foldup table & bung it in there. I have managed to fit the large Kingmaker board by Avalon Hill on my round table (the large 2nd edition Avalon Hill version), so I might just be able to squeeze WofG on there after all, or play it on the floor.

As for mu initials for username, perhaps I'll stick with Pugh and see if other members can work it out

Interesting fact maybe: George probably already knows this, but not only did Richard spend such a short amount of his reign on England, he also auctioned off a lot of landholdings to the highest bidder to fund his crusades ( provided they could be trusted of course). He had no love for this country. The climate may have played a part in this. His favourite possession was Aquitaine in what is now France. A vast amount was spent on his crusades, and again to ransom him when was captured and improsned by King Henry VI in Austria. He virtually bankrupt Englandarrrh, which meant when Johnsauron succeeded him he stood no chance really in holding to all his possessions of land.

Pugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Pugh is good!

It took my about fifty different avatar images (not much hyperbole in that estimate) before I settled on Snape. And in 2004, I went with Bent Larsen--my favourite chess player--because I had yet to discern the true quality of the character of Severus Snape. Othewise, I would have used his name from the start.

So, Pugh is good.

Thanks for the book buying ideas. I found a copy of Henry II for a good price. I just hope the condition is also good.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jus ren
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mb
No probs Severus. Snape is a good Avatar. Rickman is sherrif of Nottingham might have been appropriate as well i.e.

Quote:
sherriff: ...and cut his heart out with a spoon
Gisburn: cousin, why a spoon, why not a knife?
Sherrif: because it's blunt you twit, it will hurt more!

Severus,you replied while I was editing my first email, as I've added some other useful/less bits of info of Richard I's high regard (ironic) he had for my fair (also ironic) country.

Pugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls