Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
Didn't see that coming.

The SRLC straw poll is pretty meaningless. Consider the 2008 straw poll that was held in mid-2006:

Bill Frist 37%
Mitt Romney 14%
George Allen 10%
George W. Bush 10% (yes, even though he couldn't run again)
John McCain 7%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think Romney is a pretty good candidate. Dude owns a couple pairs of flip-flops, but he seems to be an intelligent guy who probably wouldn't fuck things up too badly.

Pity he's going to get slaughtered in the primary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:
I actually think Romney is a pretty good candidate. Dude owns a couple pairs of flip-flops, but he seems to be an intelligent guy who probably wouldn't fuck things up too badly.

But he believes the word of God was delivered to mankind on a magic stone that could onto be read in Joseph Smith's hat.

Only in the USA would a Mormon be considered a credible candidate for ANYTHING.

I try not to judge people based on their religion. That sort of thinking only leads to dark places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilthuain wrote:
chiddler wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

But he believes the word of God was delivered to mankind on a magic stone that could onto be read in Joseph Smith's hat.

I try not to judge people based on their religion. That sort of thinking only leads to dark places.
Yes, and furthermore, due to their history, Mormons tend to be sensitive to issues regarding the separation of church and state, which is not a typical characteristic in many religious American conservatives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. S. Higgins
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:
chiddler wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

Yes, and furthermore, due to their history, Mormons tend to be sensitive to issues regarding the separation of church and state, which is not a typical characteristic in many religious American conservatives.

The trouble arises when people start thinking that separation of church and state is something that should be used to protect the state from the "evils" of religion, when it is really an idea to protect religion from the state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

From a agnostic but mostly athiest-leaning perspective, Mormonism seems just as likely as any other religion. A candidate's religion doesn't matter too much to me. For most politicians (certainly not all), I doubt their religion is as big a factor in their lives as they play it up to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

How is that any less crazy than any other religion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

It's statements like these that made people nervous when you made a "joke" about putting people into re-education camps.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/502973/if-you-could-roun...

When I saw it I seriously wondered if you were really joking or not.
(its been deleted since then)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shadow9d9 wrote:
chiddler wrote:

How is that any less crazy than any other religion?

I agree that it fails the smell test equally as badly as other popular religious myths (talking snake in a tree, etc.).

However I think a lot of mainstream religion is "less crazy" in that it plays down literal interpretations of fantastic events and plays up the vague warm fuzzies. E.g. whether or not Jesus actually multiplied loaves and fishes to feed the masses (those in his immediate area, anyway) is not as important as the lesson that God provides for His children.

I don't find the warm-n-fuzzy interpretation any more personally compelling, but people who do are a lot easier for me to take seriously, and vote for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

Uhm...Did y...no...Hav...uh...

Nope - I got nothin' other than "Wow."

Darrett wrote:
The trouble arises when people start thinking that separation of church and state is something that should be used to protect the state from the "evils" of religion, when it is really an idea to protect religion from the state.

Not exactly. It works both ways. The founders didn't want a State ruled by religion any more than they wanted religious practices or a particular religion endorsed by the State.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
DCAnderson wrote:
Didn't see that coming.

The SRLC straw poll is pretty meaningless. Consider the 2008 straw poll that was held in mid-2006:

Bill Frist 37%
Mitt Romney 14%
George Allen 10%
John McCain 7%

Exactly. Beyond meaningless, even. I read that Romney and Paul both shelled out buckaroos to woo their supporters to attend and thus shift the vote in their favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. S. Higgins
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOriginalGameBoy wrote:

Darrett wrote:

Not exactly. It works both ways. The founders didn't want a State ruled by religion any more than they wanted religious practices or a particular religion endorsed by the State.

True. I just think that would be less likely than a religion ruled by the state, at least under the current society.

We can see what happens when religion gets too involved in matters of state though by looking at many of the middle eastern countries, which is not the way we want to go either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO Romney's biggest question is religion: Will the part of the base that thinks that voting for a Catholic is already a problem go to the voting booth to elect a Mormon?

Something tells me that, in a few states, the GOP will have to convince the voters that Obama is the Antichrist himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
DCAnderson wrote:
Didn't see that coming.

Bill Frist 37%
Mitt Romney 14%
George Allen 10%
John McCain 7%

That is mildly interesting -- do you also have the results for years past (how long have they been doing this anyway). Is it always completely wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Something to keep in mind when interpreting this straw poll is that both Romney and Paul were actively campaigning to win it, each with coordinated efforts to rally supporters to attend the convention. This is really evident when you look at the second place picks (all voters were asked to give a first and second choice) - Romney was third in that voting and Paul wasn't even on the radar. The reason is pretty obvious - the Romney people and the Ron Paul people knew who their main competition was at the convention and didn't want to vote for the other guy, even as second place.

Gingrich ended up winning the second place vote and was also next in line after Romney and Paul in first place votes. He was the real winner of the straw poll, followed by the former half-term governor of Alaska.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:
jeff brown wrote:
chiddler wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

It's statements like these that made people nervous when you made a "joke" about putting people into re-education camps.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/502973/if-you-could-roun...

When I saw it I seriously wondered if you were really joking or not.
(its been deleted since then)

this isn't remotely a joke, its a statement of the way the rest of the (English-speaking at least) world would react to a Mormon candidate. Indeed a vocally religious candidate would be pretty much unelectable in The UK, Australia or NZ, irrespective of denomination.

But I'm not joking about Mormonism - its barking mad and i wouldn't trust the judgement of anyone who believed in it.

Oh I know you weren't joking about mormonism.

I just wasn't sure if you were joking about re-education camps. The more you talk the more I think that you werent
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:
chiddler wrote:
Ilthuain wrote:

I can't think of anything better to judge somebody on, a person's religion shapes so much of what they think and do.

I'd rather judge somebody based on what they say and do, and what they've said and have done, rather than what I think they might say and do in the future.

To each his own. You're entitled to your vote, however you come to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G L
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:

Something tells me that, in a few states, the GOP will have to convince the voters that Obama is the Antichrist himself.

It won't take that much convincing.

24% of Republicans already believe Obama may be the Antichrist. shake

http://news.harrisinteractive.com/profiles/investor/ResLibra...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:

I can't think of anything better to judge somebody on, a person's religion shapes so much of what they think and do.

Oh the hell it does.

I know Christians who are straight-laced and family oriented, I know a Christian anarchist who lives illegally in a squat while talking about smashing the state, and I know gay Christian nerds who sit in front of their computers all day listening to technical metal and playing 4chan.

James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, is a Christian... so is Peter Steele, lead singer for the goth metal band Type O Negative. James Dobson and Peter Steele are very different people.

Judging someone because of their religion is lazy. It might tell you a little bit about their afterlife theories, but it tells you nothing about how they live or what they have to offer. When I was a kid a Mormon introduced me to drugs and taught me how to correctly throw a ninja star, so even though they share a religion, hanging out with this guy and hanging out with Wrayman would have different outcomes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.