Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Ga(y)mers in CO rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel V
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Hey all, I live just west of Denver in a town with a lot of A's

Any way I was wondering if there were any BGGers in the Denver Metro area. Also Gay or Gay friendly would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Town west of Denver with a lot of
Must be Arvada? ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teague Webb
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what, who needs a subject? We're just talking here; no big whoop...
Also, there's a guy (who's name escapes me) who's avatar is that vaguely S- or Z-shaped rainbow symbol that I think is a gay gang symbol...you can browse avatars and find him that way...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Boone
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Whoa
gay gang symbol

I must be more sheltered than I realized!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel V
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Gay Gang
I can see it now a drive by Bitch Slapping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teague Webb
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't that be hyphonated? (Bitch-slapping) You may find a high tolerance for differences in sexuality or politics here, but don't make a grammatical error in your posts if you want to avoid heavy persecution!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
South Dakota
Well, boys, that was pretty funny. But seriously, Daniel, if you ever find yourself drifting into the SD region, you're quite welcome to drop by for a few games. We have a game night every other Sat., and one more is always welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"to avoid a flame war ... and make a newcomer feel welcome I will bite my tongue. I've been thinking for about 15 minutes now. I have 2 or 3 replies that I think are pretty funny, and probably not offensive. But as sensitive as people can be I will just let it slide."

I don't know what your intent was...a thinly veiled threat perhaps? ??? I translate that as..."I don't want to get yelled at but I do want to let you know that I would very much like to insult you" and the let it slide comment? Bleh. And what are you letting slide? The original poster?

I hope that your insensitive (to say the very least) comment has not pushed the OP away from the Geek...way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh!
Sorry...got into /rant mode and forgot to:

Hello Daniel, and welcome to the geek! I've never been to Denver...but searching the net I did find this http://www.diac.com/~michalak/of/

they are a Gay scifi/fantasy club in Denver that might be able to help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
A gaymer in Houston
If you're ever in my neck of the woods, give me a holler (geez, I sound like a country boy, but I'm not!). I host game night at my place every Friday evening. I'm gay, but we'll have to forgive my group of boardgaming buddies (which numbers from 3 to 7 people, typically) for being straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teague Webb
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go...
Eagles,

What is/are OP?
Why do you start by saying you're not sure what Koldfoot's intent was, and then go ahead and accuse him as though you do?
Why was his comment insensitive, but mine and the follow-ups to it about gay gangs and bitch-slapping are not?
Why do you assume that the offence you took at Koldfoot's comment is shared by Gamebuzzed?
Please note the lack of sarcasm or antagonistic language. I'm just asking some questions in order to understand a point of view apparently different from mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone I know is starting a game night in her GBLT Community Center. That might be another way to go if you feel like taking the initiative and actually have a GBLT Community Center.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Boone
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Eagles,

I think if you read through the posts before yours, you'll see that OP posted again after Koldfoot's normal, conversational post. I think it's safe to say gamebuzzed has a sense of humor and wasn't scared away. No reason to go overboard in the eggshell department.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Re: To avoid a flame war
Koldfoot,

As a gay man, I want to say for the record that I felt your message was friendly and appropriate, considering some humor can and will be taken wrongly in some situations. And I'm sure that what you were letting "slide" were your jokes and not the original poster.

My joke in my posting above, for example, about forgiving my friends for being straight has nothing to do with disrepect or contempt for straight people. It has everything to do with poking fun at the way society has a way of judging some groups as having to be "put up with" because they are supposedly not as good as or as legitimate as another group. Will some straight people take offense at my joke? Maybe, but it certainly wasn't my intent to offend anybody. Of course, making straight jokes is a lot safer than making gay jokes in a situation where they can easily be misconstrued.

Anyway, I say lighten up everyone - me included!

Sorry, Daniel, for turning your nice posting into a political forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello
We have a group up north which is not gay (as far as I know) but friendly.

I will be at Tacticon this weekend judging all sorts of board games. Stop by Roads and Boats and say hello if you come. It is a great convention!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurora Group
DenverGames is a group that meets in Aurora (Parker and Arapahoe) every Tuesday night. We have 20-25 people who show up fairly regularly. We've been getting about 15 every night lately. You can check out our website here:

http://www.denvergames.com/

We also usually meet on at least two Saturdays a month for more gaming. It's a bit of a haul from west denver however. If you want more info you can drop me a line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
She liked farming...
badge
...he preferred stabbing things in the neck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel,

Welcome to BGG! I think you will find, in general, that we are a very accepting community; after all, we gamers tend to be slightly askew of the norm anyway. (I wanted to use the term 'misfits' but I didn't want to offend anyone. )

If you can't find an extant group, consider tricking your friends into playing games!

Best of luck to you,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Webster
United States
Littleton
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More in Denver!
We seem to be getting more Denver gamers on the 'Geek all the time. I've mentioned this to some of the locals via this site, but we have a smallish group in the Littleton / Highlands Ranch / Aurora area that get together irregularly. I wish I could say "we meet once a week on...", but we're lucky to get together twice in three months. We're all straight (as far as I know) about half married, half single, but except for one guy who is either trying to be too macho or is someone we can just kick, are definitely Gay-friendly.

I didn't mean INDIVIDUALLY half married, half single, but I guess you got that...

Anyhoo, I'll try to let you know if we're getting a game night up. Wish I could plan ahead enough to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel V
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
Not offended
Hey all.
Yo' it's me
Daniel V
The one known as OP

Here I am the original poster getting a huge kick out of the defence of gay rights and peoples general feelings. I don't feel anyone was out of line and I don't think Cold Foot was intending anything other than to tell a joke. I was glad he held back though. It's always good to get a feel for a person's sence of humor prior to exposing a volital (flame) situation (war). On the other hand it felt good to know that I can come here and be safe and "out".

AND it felt good that you guys aren't so obsessed that you can't have discussions that don't include games on your game board. Thanks all.

Oh and the suggested OUTer fandom group in Denver, I'm already a part of that. Yet I never did think to bring up the idea of games. HMMMMM.

Bad Game-Geek BAD BAD angry

Oh-Oh (that's like p.p.s. only different) denver wolf was correct. It is ARVADA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's a flame war...
I wanna wear my flamewear!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truong Le
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
No closet for my games!
Sky Knight X wrote:

I cannot wait for another one to come out of the closet!

Sky Knight X, I don't know if you're talking about GameGeeks or boardgames, but there's no hiding in the closet for my games. They're out and proud, prominently displayed on the game room shelves! And on Gay Pride Day, they wave little rainbow flags at our gaming group, while Queen's Necklace and all of Queen Games' lil' numbers ride circles around us on fabulous floats blaring Euro-disco (they are Euro-games).

Gay means happy, doesn't it?

You all are being so cryptic; I am starting to get confused.

Sexually confused? ???
All kidding aside, your kids are lucky to have such a cool, open-minded Gamegeek for a dad. Who'd thunk that cool and Gamegeek would ever appear together in the same sentence. The gaiety abounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm Gay friendly and Straight
Whats up! I live in the Greenwich Village NYC...I'm gay friendly and straight...

If you are ever in NYC shoot me an e-mail!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
My small wargame group
We're not in Colorado and we aren't always friendly in general but that may be a function of getting old and cranky. All but one of us seems to be political liberals (ex-hippy and/or liberal activist types) but as wargamers we seem to abide by the Don't Ask Don't Tell Policy like real generals. (Actually the question never came up). So I don't know if any of us are gay but we are all old enough and gray enough and out of shape enough that I'd even hate to imagine any of us in any intimate situation. (Shudder at the mental picture).

Having said that, if you play war games AND get to Louisville, Kentucky, you'd be welcome to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.