5 Posts

Cold War: CIA vs KGB» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions after my first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hirschman
United States
flag msg tools
I played my first game of Cold War - very good game. I have some questions about issues in the manual which to me are a bit ambiguous, inconsistent or not addressed.

1) Political cards: If I use a political card, I cannot make any move of cards to my side if the move would exceed the population icons on the objective card. Correct?

2) The discard pile of group cards is face up and not face down. Correct?

3) Players cannot look through the discard pile of group cards. Correct?

4) The group cards including all discards are shuffled after each completed game turn. Correct?

5) The objective card deck is never shuffled during the game. Correct?

6) If objective cards are removed from the game, they are always added to the bottom of the deck. Correct?

7) You check for civil disorder at the end of the cease fire phase. Correct?

8) Agents on leave are returned to headquarters during which phase of the turn (during the second turn after they are put on leave)?

Thanks.
Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rich10 wrote:
I played my first game of Cold War - very good game. I have some questions about issues in the manual which to me are a bit ambiguous, inconsistent or not addressed.

1) Political cards: If I use a political card, I cannot make any move of cards to my side if the move would exceed the population icons on the objective card. Correct?

correct.

Quote:
2) The discard pile of group cards is face up and not face down. Correct?

correct.

Quote:
3) Players cannot look through the discard pile of group cards. Correct?

correct

Quote:
4) The group cards including all discards are shuffled after each completed game turn. Correct?

correct. i think...assuming we mean a game turn as the fight over a single objective.

Quote:
5) The objective card deck is never shuffled during the game. Correct?

correct.
Quote:

6) If objective cards are removed from the game, they are always added to the bottom of the deck. Correct?

correct

Quote:
7) You check for civil disorder at the end of the cease fire phase. Correct?

correct

Quote:
8) Agents on leave are returned to headquarters during which phase of the turn (during the second turn after they are put on leave)?

the objective is awarded, agent goes on leave. you reveal the new objective, select the new agent, and then the agent on leave immediately goes back into headquarters. so they are out of action only for the following turn (unless he's dead or the dep director).

Quote:
Thanks.
Richard

no problem. i just kept pasting the word correct in there. it was a breeze. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Foster
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, I strongly recommend going to the game's Files and downloading the two player aids by Liumas. They really help to clear up some of the ambiguities in the original rules. Be sure to give him thumbs while you're at it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
jojobinks wrote:
rich10 wrote:

correct

Hmm, I think this is NOT correct. Only when both players cause civil disorder does the card go to the bottom of the deck. If a player uses an event card, it is simply discarded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jojobinks wrote:
rich10 wrote:

Quote:

correct. i think...assuming we mean a game turn as the fight over a single objective.

ah - I played this for the first time last night and we just played through the group deck until it ran out and we re-shuffled. That's not how it works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.