Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Having Missile Envy while caught in a Bear Trap during the Red Purge... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Roth
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a very unlikely & unusual situation came up in our last game of Twilight Struggle. This one had us all scratching our heads. I was playing US. For a 3rd round headline the USSR played Beartrap....on themselves. Probably not a very good play, not as headline, but they insisted their hand was terrible and needed to dump cards. My headline was Red Scare/Purge so I was already feeling pretty good about this whole situation.

First action round they dump a card and fail their role...still caught in the beartrap which they are ok with. I see a humorous opportunity and play Missile Envy. I don't remember which card I receive but it wasn't all that effective. Anyhow...for their next action round they are supposed to play Missile Envy for opps, but it no longer qualifies to be pitched to Bear Trap because Red Scare/Purge has reduced it to just 1 Opp. They Could have potentially had to sit out the rest of the entire turn because of not being able to resolve the bear trap, no?

I'm not sure how this was supposed to play out. There is probably some small clause in the rules that addresses card interactions like this but I am too lazy to find it. I had a pretty good grip on the game so what was settled on was the USSR had to resolve the bear trap with cards already in their hand (which they did on the very next discard & role) and THEN play Missile Envy for 1 Opp on the action round following that.

Does anyone know how this unlikely scenario should have been resolved? Can you site where in the rulebook it addresses a conflict between cards such as this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't give you a link to the ruling and pretty sure it's not in the rulebook (I assume you've already been through the 'Collected Rulings' for TS?), but I can tell you how it plays out.

Missile Envy can't be pitched to the Trap as you rightly say, so your opponent will have to pitch a card that he can pitch until he gets out of the trap. The next action round after the trap is escaped he has to play Missile Envy for 1 op. If all his 3 or better op cards got used up without getting out of the trap then he'd have to skip the rest of his action rounds that turn and pitch Missile Envy to the trap on action round 1 of the next turn (as the Purge would have worn off by then).

Neither Missile Envy or the Trap can force someone to hold a scoring card so once your opponent has only as many action rounds as scoring cards he has to play out the scoring cards even if that leaves him in the Trap or holding Missile Envy until the next turn.

Headlining Bear Trap isn't a completely stupid move, though doing it while Purge is still in the deck could be described as significantly unwise!

As an addendum if there was a reshuffle and Missile Envy still hadn't been played (as it was being held over to the next turn for whatever reason) it wouldn't go back into the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
Quote:
Missile Envy (#49)
After giving your opponent the Missile Envy card (in exchange for one of his cards), the opponent only "must" use the card for Operations during his next action round if he still has the card and he is allowed to play cards for Operations. For example, if he is under a Bear Trap or Quagmire, he is free to discard the Missile Envy card for the Bear Trap or Quagmire effect.
CSW 1927
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@7.NAbqbKTsK7e.4@.1dcfda6...

Quote:
Missile Envy (#49)
After giving your opponent the Missile Envy card (in exchange for one of his cards), if he cannot play the card for Ops (under a Bear Trap or Quagmire, for example), he must discard that card at his earliest opportunity.
CSW 1927 7188
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@683.Pfgac03qG3J.0@.1dcfd...

Bookmark the FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Wesley
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Missile Envy (#49)
After giving your opponent the Missile Envy card (in exchange for one of his cards), the opponent only "must" use the card for Operations during his next action round if he still has the card and he is allowed to play cards for Operations. For example, if he is under a Bear Trap or Quagmire, he is free to discard the Missile Envy card for the Bear Trap or Quagmire effect.
CSW 1927

Ah, but in this case he wouldn't have been able to discard Missile Envy; Red Scare/Purge was in effect, making ME effectively a 1 OPs card. Bear Trap requires a 2+ OPs card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
I must think over my position and how I may improve it.
mb
The FAQ will not fail!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.