Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a followup on a previous posting suggestion for making a copy of Hive that you can easily expand with home-brew ideas and BGG variants. I'm not much of a poster, but I just hope to help others find the items to craft this wonderful game.

One note, I have the bakalite version of this game and it is well played. However, all of the variants I have wanted to try end up being printed onto foamcore, as it is near impossible to replicate the bakalite pieces. So I wanted a nice looking version to set out on the table.

Not much invested for a DIY item.

Goto here and print the file onto Avery 8465 inkjet sticker paper. I find that 8465 paper adheres to things better, don't cheap out on discount paper.

Goto Home Depot and buy these. You can usually buy them by the sheet of 30 at the store for $2.75, online you have to buy a box of them. I was lucky last week and my neighborhood store had them on clearance for $.42 a sheet.

Cut the backing off the hexes.

Trim the little glue nubs off the sides. I left the glue on the bottom of the hexes for a little padding and to help prevent them from shifting during the game. If you like, you can also hot glue felt to the bottom of each piece, although I felt that wasn't necessary.

Cut the stickers off the sheet.
Stick the stickers on the hexes.

Personally I liked the way the blue, tan, and yellow go well together. I might try to find hex tiles of a different color and make another set, hopefully in reds and blacks. The nice thing about these hexes is that they are 30 to a sheet, so you have 2 extra to fool with if you use the Dragonfly and Misquito expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ReignsEternal wrote:
If you like, you can also hot glue felt to the bottom of each piece, although I felt that wasn't necessary.

Great pun! And a well written and interesting write up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adreeve wrote:
ReignsEternal wrote:
If you like, you can also hot glue felt to the bottom of each piece, although I felt that wasn't necessary.

Great pun! And a well written and interesting write up.

I caught that pun, too. I felt it was unnecessary

You tiles came out great. I agree about the color choice. Good harmony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actually, funny as it might be to some, I never even saw that pun. I was nervous enough to get a solid DIY article out for someone who requested I do it, that I didn't have time (or ability) to make it cool or funny.

Maybe next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is super cool, great job, can not thank you enough!

There is no Home Depo in the jungles of Costa Rica I fear, so I will have to wait till June when I hit the states for vacation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, you just might have tempted me to try this project. I have my cardboard DIY Hive set that works, but is not the best way to go!!!!!!!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.