Subject: My First Horror...Faster? Please? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morgan Rose

Cincinnati
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night a friend from board game night hosted, well, another board game night at his house (with the wife and child safely visiting the inlaws). A welcome additon made our group of 6 into a 7 and the age-old question surfaced: Play 2 tables or find a game that seats all of us?

One attendee had a solution and was very excited about it - Arkham Horror. I have never had the pleasure, hence this post, but was drawn in immedietly by the wonderful art and stylization, the lavish production and the immersion into theme.

His estimation on time was 3 to 4 hours. I will skip a lot of the details (I apologize to the devotees who need those for context, but as a new player I would only screw them up and confuse you), but after we passed the five hour mark at least half of the table was either fed up or not paying attention anymore. We succeeded, which I will argue doesn't mean much as few felt very connected to the outcome by the time it mercifully arrived.

I came to the geek thinking their would be some suggestions on house rules or alternate set-up to speed things up. I really want to give this game another try, but given the time required it would be reallly tough to make the pitch. Any help out there in this idea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lundberg
Sweden
Skoghall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with all games it will go faster once you know what you are doing. Keep it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems fairly typical in the early stages and is in line with my experience as well. I think you need to play solo or 2player 3-4 times to really get it down smoothly. If there isn't at least one person who knows the rules very well, it will generally end up getting bogged down. You also need to have someone to prod people so they know it is their turn and what they can/should be doing at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Once you know the flow of the game, tehre is no reason why the 2-hour mark can't be your target. The flowcharts will help you keep the pace going (the user who created tehm left BGG so you can geekmail me your email address and I can send it to you).

As far as set-up, just best to do that before everyone arrives (as much as you can, final investigator setup will have to happen once people show up). You also really need to use the Phase 1 Upkeep time as your pow-wow for determining what should be done for the turn. Make your major decisions here and just go through the motions ont he other phases.

Also, assign roles for each person to do - especially during the Mythos phase. Player A can draw the monsters, Player B can move them around. Player C can draw the gate. Player D can place the Doom token. If you have more, Player E can resolve the effect, etc.

Also, to save a little time, have the player to your right read teh encounter for you while you make decisions and roll dice.

If you are teaching the game to new people, consider having the most experienced player by a moderator (and not play) to help push the game along and also read the encounters/mythos to everyone (but still assign roles to place pieces).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.