A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Is this game easy to learn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
eric share
United States
New York
flag msg tools
It took me and my friends awhile to learn how to play a&a. Is this harder to get down?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of rules and, if you follow the threads here at BGG, a lot of questions left unanswered by the rulebook. It's best for one player to learn the game solo, then teach your first game as a co-op game. If you play co-op, nobody will feel screwed if they don't know the rules as well as you and you can get a group up and running quickly while handling the more complex rules yourself. After you've played a group game cooperatively then you can try teams or competitive play.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McHale
United States
Audubon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book "strongy suggests" that you to play the basic game competitivly at least one time first. Then you can move on the the advanced rules and co-op game. I did it this way and had no problem learning the rules. It's not a hard game to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play the basic game first. It's not that hard to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buster Brown
United States
Maryland Heights
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Although not a hard game to learn, it suffers from a what I call "growing mid-game fiddliness". Granted, I've only played co-operative games, but that's the general consensus from our gaming group. By mid-game fiddliness I mean that the first half of the game is relatively fast, furious and fun as it's pure exploration and fighting minions. However, at around the half-game point you have quite a bit of book-keeping building up. A lot of cards keep adding up on the villain and players wounds and attack dice and it's very easy to forget to do the increasing amount of checks and rolls that occur when the shadow track moves and so forth, particularly at the final showdown. To date, I don't think we've played a single game cleanly (without making several mistakes). And all of the mistakes were made after the mid-game point.

I've thought about adopting house rules to simplify and speed up the end-game, but I'm afraid it would take some of the game's flavor away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Earnest
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can download the rules in PDF format here:

http://www.flyingfrog.net/atouchofevil/atoe_web_content.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the co-op solo to learn the game, and really had no trouble at all. If you have played their other game, Last Night on Earth, the "feel" is very similar. Once you get a play in you should have it good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Reubzaet
Netherlands
Landgraaf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buster Brown wrote:
To date, I don't think we've played a single game cleanly (without making several mistakes). And all of the mistakes were made after the mid-game point.

I've thought about adopting house rules to simplify and speed up the end-game, but I'm afraid it would take some of the game's flavor away.

Being new to this game myself, I find it a relief to read it is not just me! I actually counted Mystery cards and came to the conclusion that about 1 in 3 is Remains In Play. These cards tend to build up a lot of additional rules to keep track of, and this indeed is the hardest bit about learning the game. The base rules (even the advanced ones) are pretty straight-forward and the trickiest bits are repeated clearly on the back of the rule booklet.

Perhaps I am not in a position to give others tips about this game just yet, but for me, the following trick helped keep track of the rules during my last solo game: put markers on the cards. E.g.: for the Order's Influence card where Doctor Manning's Office becomes potentially dangerous, I put a wound token on the Doctor's Office space and on the card (working like an asterisk for reference); when the Order's Influence card for the Reverend made the entire town dangerous, I put one wound token on all town spaces and this card, and added a set of two wound tokens on the Doctor's Office and the previously mentioned card; then, the Order's Influence (IIRC) on Lord Hanbrook forced me to roll a D6 at the start of the Mystery Phase to see if I had to draw an additional Mystery card, I put a die on that card; finally, when a card came in play (or was it a villain ability?) that gave the villain a +2 wound marker for every elder killed, I put one investigation marker on that card (or on the villain 'sheet') and on each of the elders. It really helped.
If you are playing with more than one player, it may help to split up the responsibility for keeping track of certain Mystery cards, I guess.

Lots of off-topic information above, but the main thing is, that the rules are generally on the cards and therefore the game is NOT hard to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I found it kind of easy to learn. The group that I game with played our first two sessions last night.

By the second session everyone seemed to understand the basics of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.