11 Posts

Dixit» Forums » Variants

Subject: Two variants for playing Dixit in just 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: dixit [+] [View All]
verlit verlit
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
The only disadvantage Dixit has for me is the required number of players. We have, therefore, created two possibilities how to play in just two people (althought they are rather different from the original game!)

The beginning is the same in both cases - each player receives 10 cards and puts them face UP on the table

1) more competitive version "I know you better then you know me"

We agree on theme (alternatively you can write down a number of basic themes such as "love", new beginning", "journey of my life" etc. and then draw one).
Each player now makes a secret bet and writes down which of the 10 cards will his partner choose to represent this theme the best.

Scoring (in each round):
- if both guess correct, each scores 5 points
- if only one guesses correct, he/she scores 3 points
- if none guesses correct, each player deducts 2 points
(the deduction rule helps prevent the tactics, where player deliberatly chooses the card which does not represent the theme at all)

5 rounds are played. Who has more points at the end of the game wins.

2) cooperative version "How attuned we are" - the purpose is to get the best score together.

The beginning is the same. Each player gets 10 cards and places them face UP on the table.
Now one of the players chooses one of his cards and places it in the middle. At the same time he/she writes down a secret bet which card will the other player choose from his cards to match this card the best. They might have similar mood, similar theme, they remind you of something you experienced together etc.

If the guess is correct, 5 point are awarded to you as a team, if not 5 points are deducted. Now the second player chooses a card, puts it in the middle and makes a bet etc.

5 rounds are played (this is to avoid situation when there is too few cards left and choices become too obvious).

Scoring:
+25 points: you are basically emotional twins today, you can read each other´s mind
+15 points: you are very much attuned
5 or -5 points: sometimes you are attuned, sometimes not; just as it usually is in life
-15 points: today you rarely understand each other´s imagination
-25 points: the worlds of your imagination do not overlap at all today

In some days we get to 25 easily, other times we struggle to get -5, which makes it quite interesting game each time. I guess it depends on our mood :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I've been thinking a lot about how to play this with 2 of us, but I had no ideas whatsoever. You ideas at the very least sound intriguing, we will certainly give it a try! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
verlit wrote:
(the deduction rule helps prevent the tactics, where player deliberatly chooses the card which does not represent the theme at all)

Unfortunately I don't see how this discourages you from picking a "wrong" card for yourself. Your goal is not to get as many points as you can (in which case you'd indeed prefer 5 points instead of 3 points), but to have more points than your only opponent, so you'd rather gain 3 and your opponent gain 0 (giving you a 3 point advantage) than have you both gain 5 (not giving you any advantage).

It sounds like you're trying to base it on the Prisoner's Dilemma, but it's not really a PD situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
verlit verlit
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
verlit wrote:

Unfortunately I don't see how this discourages you from picking a "wrong" card for yourself. Your goal is not to get as many points as you can (in which case you'd indeed prefer 5 points instead of 3 points), but to have more points than your only opponent, so you'd rather gain 3 and your opponent gain 0 (giving you a 3 point advantage) than have you both gain 5 (not giving you any advantage).

It sounds like you're trying to base it on the Prisoner's Dilemma, but it's not really a PD situation.

Actually I don´t know Prisoner´s Dilemna, so it must be just a coincidence :-) It helps that we are not really competitive and have this just a an enjoyable way to play. With really competitive couple, I guess we would have to think of other ways.
Anyway, if both players start speculate and pick "wrong" cards, they will loose both. And trying to guess if your oponent is choosing genuine or deliberately wrong card can be part of psychology of the game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
verlit wrote:
[Actually I don´t know Prisoner´s Dilemna, so it must be just a coincidence :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner%27s_dilemma

Actually your proposed points are not exactly like the prisoner's dilemma, because if both players cooperate in PD, they each get (e.g.) 3 points, whereas if one cooperates and one doesn't, the cooperator gets nothing and the other gets (e.g.) 5 points. So your proposed points make cooperation more obviously rational, if people want to maximize their points. (But still, if one is playing to have more points than the other player, one should defect at some point...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
verlit verlit
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
I just got really into thinking of other possibilities for 2 players (these are not tested but we will try as soon as possible to see if they are actually working :-)
As the other varieties, they are more just to have an excuse to play with those beautiful cards, rather then being deeply thought through games :-)))

a) each player gets 12 cards and puts them face up on the table.Now the first player picks one of his cards and puts it in the middle of the table.
The second player tries to guess which card will come next. If he guesses correctly, it is his turn to pick one of his cards. If he does not guess correctly, the first player adds the third card etc.
The player who gets rid of all his card first wins.
To prevent situation when the player deliberatly adds random cards which have nothing in common with the first one, if the other player does not guess correctly, the first player must explain what the connetion was.

b) similar idea. Each player gets 12 cards and does not show them. Now the first player puts three of his cards on the table (face up).
The other player is to guess what they have in common. You can first limit this to "physical atributes" eg. they have same color (which would be very easy :-)), same number of characters, there is same item on them etc.
The other player tries to guess right what the common theme is. If he succeeds, he gets 5 points. If not, nothing happens.
The players take turns, who gets most points at the end wins.

(again, it is certainly possible to come up with some sort of more complicated scoring for this one, if you don´t want to play just for fun)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
verlit wrote:
b) similar idea. Each player gets 12 cards and does not show them. Now the first player puts three of his cards on the table (face up).
The other player is to guess what they have in common. You can first limit this to "physical atributes" eg. they have same color (which would be very easy :-)), same number of characters, there is same item on them etc.

This makes me think of playing a Zendo variant with Dixit cards!
"Master, does this card have the Buddha nature?"
"Master, does a card have the Buddha nature if it has water?"
Etc.
Unfortunately Zendo doesn't work for 2 players, thus defeating the purpose of this thread, but it still sounds like a cool idea in its own right...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo L
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
verlit wrote:
The only disadvantage Dixit has for me is the required number of players.

I agree here. I was thinking of a 2-player variant since I got the game. Unfortunately I was not able to find a proper variant. So when I start to read that thread I really was hoping much.

But, nothing personal here, I don't think your variants are playable.

verlit wrote:

1) more competitive version "I know you better then you know me"
Scoring (in each round):
a) if both guess correct, each scores 5 points
b) if only one guesses correct, he/she scores 3 points
c) if none guesses correct, each player deducts 2 points

What's the point of having both players scoring the same amount in situation a) and c) ? They could just score 0 on a) and c), and 1 on b), it will be the same( but much simpler)

And anyway, this scoring mechanism just *promote* choosing a "random" card. Note that unfortunately I can't figure out a better score mechanism myself. I'm not even sure such a mechanism exists.

verlit wrote:

2) cooperative version "How attuned we are" - the purpose is to get the best score together.

This cooperative variant is better. I'm not too fond of it because it sounds like psycho-test in women's magazine to me. Not much of a game to me, but I'm sure some other players could find it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Verhaevert
Belgium
Merchtem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried out a totally differant variant for 2 players. This is how it goes.

Each player gets a color and the 1-2 and 3 token of that color. Then eacht player is dealt 8 cards. The youngest player starts as storyteller.
He choses 3 of his 8 cards that he connects through a word, saying, song title or whatever.
He then puts these 3 cards down and places the token of the one he thinks corresponds most with his idea closed down on the table.
The other player tries to find out which is the card the other player has in mind. He does this by putting his 1 - 2 and 3 tokens on the cards.
Once these tokens put on the cards, the storyteller reveals his token.

scoring : If the players gets the card right with his 3, he gets 3 points.
If he does not get the card right with his 3, then the storyteller gets whatever points are on his card.
Then the storyteller gets 3 other cards and sides swith.

We tried out some games and it seems to work just fine.

Feel free to try this variant out and comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What's the point of having both players scoring the same amount in situation a) and c) ?

This is a party game. I don't think the objective really is to win "points".

Quote:
Not much of a game to me, but I'm sure some other players could find it interesting.

...unless the objective is to get "points" with the woman. IFYOUKNOWHUTIMEAN. laugh

I think 1) should just be a coop. Same mechanics, but just add your scores.

So you can, y'know, SCORE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joo Kas
Finland
flag msg tools
Our variant for two players goes like this:

A. Six cards for both players.

B. The storyteller chooses one of their cards, tells a sentence from that one and picks up five more cards from the deck and shuffles the chosen card with those.

C. All the six cards are given to the other player who places them into the following order: First the card that is most likely to be the storyteller's, secondly the one that is the second most likely to be the right one and so on.

D. Scoring depends on where the storyteller's card is.

When the right card is the...

1st: 2 points for the other player, 0 points for the storyteller
2nd: 1 point for the OP, 0 points for the ST
3rd: 0 points for both
4th: 0 points for the OP, 1 point for the ST
5th: 0 points for both
6th: 0 points for the OP, -1 point for the ST

E. Every player must have six cards all the time so the storyteller picks up one from the deck after being in turn.

F. The other player is now the storyteller.

G. The game ends when the deck is empty.

OR

H. Optionally both players can tell three more stories about the six cards they're still holding in their hands.

I. The one who is in turn makes up three short sentences. Every one of them must connect two of their cards.

J. The cards are given to the other player who has to find pairs and tell what sentence connects every pair.

K. Scoring for the guessing player goes simply.

All the pairs are found: 3 points
Two of them: 2 points
Only one: 1 point
None of them: 0 points

L. The other one tells another three stories.

M. The game ends when all the cards are played.

The rules from H to M could work on their own as an other game variant but personally I think it would be too difficult to tell three stories time after time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.