Popular Tags: [View All]
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Today is Holocaust Memorial Day.

The Holocaust was first and foremost the most sustained act of anti-semitism in history, resulting in the deaths of c. 6 million Jewish men, women and children, and the virtual extinction of Eastern European Jewish culture.

The nazis vendetta against "Bolshevism" resulted in the deaths of c. 3 million Soviet POWs, starved, worked to death or murdered outright.

Anti-Slavic racism led to the murders of c. 2 million Poles.

The fascists' insane notions of "racial hygiene" was the cause of the deaths of c. 1.5 million of the Roma people.

The nazi project of "purging" the German nation claimed the lives of millions more: the physically and mentally disabled, homosexuals, Communist Party members, Social Democrats, trade unionists, religious minorities (for example, Jehovah's Witnesses), and others.

In (I believe) 1942, himmler gave a speech wherein he stated, "The goal of the war in the east is to reduce the Slavic population by 25 millions." With that in mind, almost every civilian death in nazi-occupied Eastern Europe can be seen as the result of a conspiracy to commit genocide (c. 26 million in the U.S.S.R. alone).

The list is not exhaustive.

These people didn't all die by gas in camps. At least a million were shot by the Einsatzgruppen or murdered in pogroms perpetrated by local nationalist collaborators.

The "democracies" are not blameless. One example: the Canadian government had a policy of not accepting Jewish refugees. When asked how many such refugees the Canadian government would be willing to accept, an official replied, "None is too many".

I'd also ask you to remember the brave, brave, brave people who risked torture and death for themselves and their families by sheltering Jews. For example, the Muslim people of Albania, who swore what were to them sacred oaths to protect any Jew who could reach them. Or Poles, in one of the most anti-semitic countries in Europe, who gave Jews refuge. Most of these Poles were Catholics, and while the Pope offered his silent assent to the Holocaust by refusing to speak out while Jews in Rome, within sight of the Vatican, were being dragged off to their deaths, they risked everything by acting.

Remember these murdered people. I don't say such a thing very often, but if you're so inclined, say a prayer for them. Meditate on the fact that while the Brown Beast may be relatively dormant, it isn't dead.

Tonight my daughter and I will be reading a book about Anne Frank written for children her age. If I impart nothing else to her, let it be a hatred of the fact that such things happened, and the understanding that not everyone was silent, not everyone shut their mouths and kept their heads down (but they were few, so very few!). The Holocaust could have been prevented. If she grows up determined to not stand by while such acts are being perpetrated, I'll be proud of her.

Never again, anywhere, for any people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I couldn't find a good video on Youtube for 2010, but here is an interesting one from 2008:

There's a not bad one on CNN's site for 2010.

Sirens

Any politics aside, it just freaks me out how several million people do the same thing at the exact same moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldon Nichol
United States
Prineville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

My grandmother survived one of the satellite workcamps of Auschwitz. There regularly was a young guard guarding her group of women. When nobody was around he would tell them, "langsam, langsam" ("slowly, slowly"), and he would smuggle to them salt tablets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
Canada
toronto
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

I couldn't find a good video on Youtube for 2010, but here is an interesting one from 2008:

Sirens

Any politics aside, it just freaks me out how several million people do the same thing at the exact same moment.

Yes, wholeheartedly, politics aside. It's a human moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kade wrote:
isaacc wrote:

Sirens

Who was that jackass who kept walking in the CNN video?

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Olson
Australia
Darlington
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
kade wrote:
isaacc wrote:

Sirens

Who was that jackass who kept walking in the CNN video?

:shake:

Probably Palestinian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this, David. It's a crime that November 11th is no longer a strict holiday in Canada.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.