8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Napoleon Naval war game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Antonio Martinez
Sweden
flag msg tools
Im looking for a naval game within the Napoleon age, for 1 player, but also with more. Print and play can work.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1805: Sea of Glory would work if you could handle the lack of solo rules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Haeberling
Switzerland
CH-8570 Weinfelden
TG
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Wooden Ships & Iron Men. This is not a solitaire game but there exist an extensive solitaire system here on BGG in the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Nilsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying Colors when it is reprinted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crescent wrote:
Flying Colors when it is reprinted.

+1 for Flying Colors, and you can actually help the reprint by preordering...whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Antonio Martinez
Sweden
flag msg tools
Flying Colors seems good. Do you know when is going to be reprinted? Can I play it with miniatures? with scale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Close Action is another option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A Couple Notes because I just went through this same thing....

1. Close Action - Not suitable for an afternoon play necessarily without some other fans of the series around. This is the pinnacle of the tactical age of sail games in my opinion. The ASL of Napoleonic Naval if you will. Great stuff, but be ready for the complexity and scarcity of players.

2. 1805 Sea of Glory - Never played. Heard great things. Somewhere on here I heard it described as a potential "battle generator for Flying Colors." It's strategic in nature not tactical.

3. Wooden Ships & Iron Men - Can't go wrong here. Tons of players past and present as well as an iconic system that virtually every game afterwards has cited as inspiration. Also this is readily available for not a huge investment.

4. Flying Colors - The best of all worlds. The ability to solo play this thing, can handle fleet actions or ship vs. ship combat. Streamlined rules mean you lose a little detail, but the speed of play is a huge plus.

I ended up with Flying Colors despite the cost for an OOP game. I think I got mine shipped for like $90. It was, by far, the best $90 I've spent on an OOP game in a long time. Definitely scratched my itch!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.