Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I played a 3 player game of Runewars with two friends of mine. One had already played it with me before (when we learned it at the FFG Event Center) and the other caught on well but it was his first time playing.

Overall the game lasted... 5 hours. 5 hours of awesomeness.

Having played the game before I knew that something that could turn off new players would be if the map is too big and therefor someone is able to win without much conflict. The battles are fun and so if there aren't many of them there won't be too much interaction and the game can feel like a letdown considering you get all kinds of cool minuatures but then wouldn't get to use them.

To remedy this I started the board with only 5 different numbered hex chunks not including our home realms. The game recommends 6 for 3 players but again a smaller board is more conflict. We also only started with 1 real and 1 fake rune instead of 2 real one fake and we made the rule that you can never have more than 2 dragonrunes in your homebase.Again, to make it last longer and have more battles.

Overall I ended up winning (as the Elves vs the Undead and the Humans)

From this session I have learned a few things. I definitely recommend NOT using more hex pieces than it recommends for map setup. I used 5, it recommends 6. So 6 would've been fine but I've played with more in the past and it's kind of a drag. Second I really enjoyed the variation of rule that you only start with 1 real and 1 fake rune and no more than 2 in your homerealm.

I've really come to understand the game more and can't wait to teach it to more people. I will definitely be using these variants in future games with people that are new to it as a 4 hour game with only 2 pvp battles can leave people going... that's it?!?!

Still HIGHLY recommend this game! 9/10!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

Have you tried using the exploration tokens? I'm wondering if, as they suggest, it adds more of a narrative to the participation of heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mehlhoff
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't used those yet but I figured that after one more game I may add them in. It would be nice if the heroes had more of a role, however I kind of gloss over the "quest story" parts of cards anyway so I don't necessarily need more of a narrative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always read the flavour text when undertaking a quest, in appropriately geek-like fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I recommend those exploration tokens. It's likely that one of them will be a Dragon Throne - which counts as another Rune, and gives players another area to fight over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
LannisterGold wrote:
It would be nice if the heroes had more of a role

I've found the more I play, the more important the Heroes are that may not be obvious at first glance. There are several Tactics cards that require your Heroes to be in certain places, several rewards which can turn the tide of battle (and not just the timmoran shards), and having the heroes just collect as many rewards as possible to turn in with the Captain of the Heroes Guild Title is nice.

You don't necessarily NEED heroes to win, but they certainly can play a big role in helping you do so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ragh Gavar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. I no longer allow my opponent's heroes to just meander all over the board. Duels abound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the exploration tokens: Is it true that a hero seems to be able to flip (explore) a token pretty much regaurdless what else he does? Or can he only explore/flip one if he is going to quest/duel (and he can only do it after he moves?)?

Some players have argued that if they have time to explore when questing/dueling, why can't they when they heal/train?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
On the exploration tokens: Is it true that a hero seems to be able to flip (explore) a token pretty much regaurdless what else he does? Or can he only explore/flip one if he is going to quest/duel (and he can only do it after he moves?)?

Some players have argued that if they have time to explore when questing/dueling, why can't they when they heal/train?

Corey has ruled that Sir Valadir can flip the exploration token after moving, even if the move is from his special power.

Thus, I think that could be extended that even if healing/training, if there's an unexplored token it turns over.

I would definitely say you don't have to actually move, even if doing the Quest action; it says "ends his movement", but that could be a movement of 0. Perhaps it should just say "ends his movement, if any". But Corey's ruling indicates it doesn't have to be a movement based on a Quest action, which could be logically extended to mean "if you end your quest phase there, you turn over the token, regardless of the circumstances that put you there".

(Really, though, the only way a Hero will end up in an unexplored token area is with a Strategize action).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, thanks Scott, I think we will make it so a hero can explore reguardless of his action; it just seems to make sence "realism" wise and rules wise.

Of course, after an official ruling, we may change that, but with only 6 actions per game for each hero, I can't see removing their chance to explore just because they want to heal or train. In fact, you'd think they'd have more time to explore "because" they are healing/training instead of questing/fighting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Williamson
Australia
Ingleburn
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We play that the hero flips the token as soon as he ends his move in an area , before questing .
Some Tokens have Raiders / Dungeons etc that will affect the hero's ability to quest , the token could even killthe hero.

So as soon as the hero ends his move in an area we flip the token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keef wrote:
Some Tokens have Raiders / Dungeons etc that will affect the hero's ability to quest

Dungeons don't affect the ability to quest; they just prevent heroes from moving THROUGH the area in the future (ie, they have to stop in the area). If they prevented you from questing, they would essentially make it impossible to complete quests in the area altogether.

The "Dungeons" they reference don't strike me as "prison" dungeons, but rather "caverns of adventure" that no Hero can pass up the temptation to explore on their travels.

Other than that, though, you are doing it right - you do the exploration token after moving, but before actually questing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.