Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricochet Trap
Instant - Trap, 3R

If an opponent cast a blue spell this turn, you may pay R rather than pay Ricochet Trap's mana cost.

Change the target of target spell with a single target.

When has an opponent cast a blue spell? When a blue spell resolves, or when a blue spell is put on the stack?

I'm 90% certain it is when it resolves, but correct me if I'm wrong. Can anyone point me to the relevant section of the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No relevant section of the rules from me, but I think you're wrong. Cast means when the spell is put on the stack. It doesn't have to resolve yet. You can then play Ricochet Trap in reaction to the spell that was just cast, and put it on the stack after the spell. Your opponent can then play something in response to Ricochet Trap, and so on. When both players have passed on adding anything else to the stack, it then resolves in LIFO sequence. Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Matt

It's when the blue spell is put on the stack. See the Magic 2010 Rules Changes at:
http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/dai...

Under section 2B) on this page they explain that 'Cast' has been reinstated to replace the verb 'Play'.

This interpretation makes sense: when a player puts a blue spell on the stack you can respond with Riochet Trap for a lower cost - making it more effective against blue spells.

Also, things don't tend to react to other things resolving. Things in Magic do often react to permanents entering the battlefield but then they are worded like that. I can't think of an example of an ability being affected by a Instant or Sorcery resolving - by then it's often too late for a spell to be useful!

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A spell is considered "cast" as soon as they have finished playing it (right when it is put on the stack). So you can respond to their blue spell with Ricochet Trap to change that spell's target before it resolves.

One interesting application of this is with counterspells. If they try to Cancel one of your spells, you can play Ricochet Trap targeting their Cancel. When Ricochet Trap starts resolving, you'll have the opportunity to change the Cancel to target something else. If you choose to have it target the Ricochet Trap, then a funny thing happens. The Ricochet Trap finishes resolving and is removed from the stack, then when the Cancel tries to resolve, it sees that its target (the Ricochet Trap) isn't there any more, so the Cancel is countered on resolution for lack of legal targets. You original spell they tried to stop will be saved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Short
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jobby wrote:
Also, things don't tend to react to other things resolving. Things in Magic do often react to permanents entering the battlefield but then they are worded like that. I can't think of an example of an ability being affected by a Instant or Sorcery resolving - by then it's often too late for a spell to be useful!
There used to be a lot of spells that cared when something "successfully cast" something. Those have all been errata'd to just say "cast". So right now, I don't think there are any cards that care about spells resolving, just when they are cast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bsushort wrote:
jobby wrote:
There used to be a lot of spells that cared when something "successfully cast" something. Those have all been errata'd to just say "cast". So right now, I don't think there are any cards that care about spells resolving, just when they are cast.

Actually, a lot of them have been rephrased to be ridiculously complicated and still care about when things resolve, because the current push is to get rid of functional errata and have even ancient, crazy, ambiguous, and thoroughly broken cards play as close to printed as possible. No new card has cared about spells "successfully resolving" in over a decade, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bsushort wrote:
jobby wrote:
There used to be a lot of spells that cared when something "successfully cast" something.

^ This is probably what had me confused. I've returned to the game after a lengthy hiatus, and remembered a number of cards that used the text "successfully cast" as a condition.

Using Ricochet Trap as a counterspell counter was exactly what I was looking at, but depending on how "cast" was to be interpreted, it might have been too expensive for such use. Good to see it is exactly the blue bullet I was after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.