Recommend
15 
 Thumb up
 Hide
75 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Should I Watch Buffy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I haven't seen Buffy yet, and it's available from Netflix to watch instantly. Should I watch it? Or should I continue my embargo?

1) I really liked Firefly and Serenity, although it took me a bit to get into.

2) I'm not a big vampire fan.

3) I think one of the characters is the Prime Minister in Little Britain. So I'm going to see him as the Prime Minister, not whatever character he's supposed to be in Buffy.

4) It's about a teenage girl. Most drama/what-have-you about teenagers makes me gulp .

5) Did I mention it's about a teenage girl?

Note: You may choose multiple answers:
Poll
Should Amy watch Buffy?
Yes! Watch all of it!
No! Stay away! Stay far, far away!
Watch season 1.
Watch season 2.
Watch season 3.
Watch season 4.
Watch season 5.
Watch season 6.
Watch season 7.
      86 answers
Poll created by amwiles

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Some episodes are harder to watch than others, but if you're going to do it, do it right. Watch all of it, in order, from start to finish.

Then watch Angel too.

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Like many great shows Season 1 is rough. But stick with it and it gets better...
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Follow-up poll:

Realize here that convincing Jeff to watch it is going to be harder than convincing me to watch it. Also, please note that once I decide I like something, I just jump in. I read all of Sandman in about a month (never having read a single comic before). I watched two seasons of Robin Hood in a week and a half (13 episodes, 45 min each). I quilted a table-runner, then decided to make a quilt for a king-sized bed. It's just what I do.

Poll
Should Jeff watch Buffy?
Yes
No
He should watch the same way I voted for Amy's question.
Amy and Jeff should watch it together.
      65 answers
Poll created by amwiles


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go so far to say that season 1 and 2 are rough, but the payout is worth gritting through the rough spots.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so the first season may (intially) be a little difficult to get into, but the show is very worth the while. And once Angel breaks from Buffy, switch back and forth to get the full effect of the crossover episodes.

And it's not a vampire show, it's Buffy.




And it's Joss Whedon.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Buffy had something. It was a bit up itself for a while, but they tried new things which you'll recognise as common now. There is some interesting structure in some episodes. For example, some characters will be going through the same plot arc, but with different stories, in the same episode. It's hard to explain, and hard to recognise, but to craft that form and still maintain a valid plot line shows real artfulness.

EDIT: It may be worth watching the original film first. It's sufficiently different and will inform you of the advances the TV series was making, in character design and inter-action.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Given your list I'd say stay away from it.

But...it is a well done show. Some episodes were really quite brilliant. Its campy but its meant to be. I started watching mid-way through season 3 and was very surprised that it was actually very good.

Like anything else: "try it, you might like it"
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:


EDIT: It may be worth watching the original film first. It's sufficiently different and will inform you of the advances the TV series was making, in character design and inter-action.


Um, Sorry, but I definitely have to disagree with this. Watch the show and then watch the movie... as watching the movie would not be a strong motivation for wanting to watch the show, but watching the show and then seeing the movie will make you like the show even more (because it is not like the movie).
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GrrBlarg wrote:
And it's Joss Whedon.

You mean like this?


6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on #2, #4, and #5 I would say, not a chance, avoid at all costs. It's loaded with teen angst stuff. I've watched something like 3 seasons (whatever was available on Hulu) and I got tired of it pretty quick. The cheesiness is pretty high in the show, so that can be a positive or a negative depending on your outlook (they don't take themselves too seriously, or lacks any realism.)

Buffy is terrible in comparison to Firefly, in my opinion. And, finally, on the subject of not being able to get other characters played by the actor out of your mind...I never could get past the fact that Lilly from How I Met Your Mother was some shy bookish girl named Willow.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GrrBlarg wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:


EDIT: It may be worth watching the original film first. It's sufficiently different and will inform you of the advances the TV series was making, in character design and inter-action.


Um, Sorry, but I definitely have to disagree with this. Watch the show and then watch the movie... as watching the movie would not be a strong motivation for wanting to watch the show, but watching the show and then seeing the movie will make you like the show even more (because it is not like the movie).


There's a movie?

And GrrBlarg -- may I call you GrrBlarg, so as not to get the reader confused with my husband? -- it's pictures like the one you posted that make me kind of not want to bother. I know it's Joss Whedon, and Joss is excellent, and I'm sure it's just one of those publicity shots, but it makes me feel it (the show) only exists for the male audience. That there's no substance to it; just eye candy.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lainie Theys
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I accidentally caught the first episode while flipping channels one night. There was enough of a draw, that I watched the entire episode. Then the same thing happened the next week... By the end of the first season, it was a must see for myself and my parents. Fast dialogue, lead female character who isn't afraid to kick butt, just all around good fun.

Now, watching that first season is a bit of a chore because of everything that has come later. However, I still think it's worth it! I even now read the Season 8 comic series

Okay, now that I've totally geeked out; time to go back into hiding.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff should definitely watch it alone. With you and the kid out of the house. He may want a box of tissues near to hand. IN CASE HE FEELS LIKE CRYING AT ALL.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
but it makes me feel it (the show) only exists for the male audience. That there's no substance to it; just eye candy.


Very much not. The characters are all of interest, and their maturing and development against the backplot is nicely handled. There's a lot more to it than female empowerment, or geeky chic. It's more about maturing to independence and understanding one relationships.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Watching Buffy on DVD was one of my secret pleasures when I was a stay at home dad. Put the baby down for a nap and drop in a Buffy DVD.

I know there were much better things to be watching, but I enjoyed it. But if you can take it for what it is, it can be fun.

The actual over all story arc is pretty good but there is a bit of nonsense filler at times.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

3) I think one of the characters is the Prime Minister in Little Britain. So I'm going to see him as the Prime Minister, not whatever character he's supposed to be in Buffy.


Amy, if you were a true Anglophile you'd know that Mr Head's most impressive role to date was as the bloke from those coffee ads in the 80's.



Remember, it's a very sophisticated coffee.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:
GrrBlarg wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:


EDIT: It may be worth watching the original film first. It's sufficiently different and will inform you of the advances the TV series was making, in character design and inter-action.


Um, Sorry, but I definitely have to disagree with this. Watch the show and then watch the movie... as watching the movie would not be a strong motivation for wanting to watch the show, but watching the show and then seeing the movie will make you like the show even more (because it is not like the movie).

There's a movie?

Not seeing the movie on IMDB. Link, please.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103893/
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never seen it, but people seem to like the board game. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Game
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
amwiles wrote:

3) I think one of the characters is the Prime Minister in Little Britain. So I'm going to see him as the Prime Minister, not whatever character he's supposed to be in Buffy.


Amy, if you were a true Anglophile you'd know that Mr Head's most impressive role to date was as the bloke from those coffee ads in the 80's.

Remember, it's a very sophisticated coffee.


I remember those! Except it was Taster's Choice, I think you'll find.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I said watch the first 3 seasons - but if you love those, keep going.

I initially shied away from it because of the "vampire thing", but it's not like the usual "vampire thing". (In fact, there's a great episode in S4 that takes a poke at "vampire chic".)

And, while it has plenty of the "teen angsty" stuff, it's played (for the most part) in an entirely different way from the usual.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
I have never seen it, but people seem to like the board game. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Game



It was actually the boardgame that got me into the show.
Make sure you play the US version of the game though - the UK version is a very different game and not worth the cardboard it's printed on.


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Amy, if you were a true Anglophile you'd know that Mr Head's most impressive role to date was as the bloke from those coffee ads in the 80's.


Col, that's unfair. Not all Americans are as well versed in UK culture as you are.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
Quixote171 wrote:
pronoblem wrote:
I have never seen it, but people seem to like the board game. Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Game



It was actually the boardgame that got me into the show.
Make sure you play the US version of the game though - the UK version is a very different game and not worth the cardboard it's printed on.



That's funny, I got into the show after playing the first Buffy Xbox game.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/buffythevampireslayer/in...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.