Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can some of you experienced players give us a little shake down on the Challenge phase. General terms, like which type of challenge to look for based on our cards in hand and our opponents played units. Just some basic thoughts on how combats typically shake down and some tips, strat tips on how to best play it and what to look for.

Thanks,
robbage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronny Heinz
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm far from being a player who mastered the game, but I think I'm a bit experienced.

In theory you get 3 challenges. The first thing to consider is, if it is worth to start any challenge. When you're the second player, attack with everything which is possible, unless you need to win the dominance phase (e.g. opponent could win with dominance). If you're the first player you need to consider if it is worth to attack and if your opponent will defend. If you're sure that he will defend you can direct with stealth (a bit) which characters of the opponent block. Now, how to know if he blocks? There are some indicators: your plot card, your cards in the hand, the character with whom you attack. Using deadly with a power and intrigue challenge, you can be sure that he won't defend with his best characters (unless he has duplicates).

With which challenge to begin? If you see that your opponent is hoarding some cards, you can be sure that there are some events in it, and we don't like events! If you can, start with an intrigue challenge to discard a card (e.g. maybe an event) of the opponent. If the opponent has no cards, start with a military challenge to clean bit the table (in the case that there are no savers) or if he has savers to get rid of the savers/kneel some characters (as they block). I think power should be your last challenge as it is the most important one (you get closer to the win condition.)

This are general ideas. Every house has different play styles and should change this ideas accordingly.

Nice thread idea. I'm curious what other more experience play think (and the new players too, they can have also nice ideas).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ronny, that's the kind of medium brush stroke advice I was looking for. I've been wading in and begging to get the handle on things.

I noticed today I had Myrcella Lannister with 1 strength and a Power Icon going against two dragons with no Power Icons. I tapped her to win a Power challenge. Can the dragons defend without that icon? If not, she gets two Power tokens?

And starting to get the way of Stealth. In general, finding the subtleties to flesh in the bigger picture of challenges.

robbage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob,

It is from the CCG era of the game, so some portions of it are not particularly relevant (e.g, the part talking about drafting), but I find that the New Player Guide that FFG put together some time ago still has some good information for people starting now. It's not linked to from their current site, but the file is still accessible: http://www.agameofthrones.com/PDF/agotnewplayerguide.pdf

I suggest that you look at chapters 1, the first part of chapter 2, and chapter 5. (The one rule change that happened with switch to LCG that may be lost in chapter 1 is unspent gold counting towards strength for the Dominance phase --it used to be if you didn't spend your gold during Marshalling, it was immediately lost (in fact, counters for gold weren't even used).)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent idea, thanks Rob!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob . . . this appears to be a valuable bit of literature for those getting into the game. I'm reading the game session right now between Lang and French and it's providing the game insights I was looking for.

Is this something you can post to the file section here?

robbage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't you "Rob"? I'm pretty sure I'm "Jason".

I'm reluctant to submit since I don't have FFG's permission and I don't know if they'd give it since it is dated in several ways. I'm almost afraid to ask for fear they'll take it down completely. Hopefully folks will find the link to it by reading this thread, which of course they should be reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason -
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did just submit the link for consideration to be added to the list of links here, but I suspect it might get rejected since the guide is from the game's CCG era. I will have to wait and see if it gets accepted...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Jason, got my handles confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.