Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hosted this at Gamestorm 12.

Played this with Eldon Nichol 'Nichol', Tim Shippert 'Shippert' , John Fundak 'Velkiivo', and Richard 'Cuzzle' Jonathon Nichol 'quozl' and Jeffrey Fisher. John was the shark in the crowd, he’s been playing this game for the last 20 years. We played with the intrigue cards.

We did do one thing wrong, though we were playing the advanced game we played that you couldn’t put any influence Nestor which is true of the basic game, but not the advanced game. This made the first couple of rounds relatively peaceful as we waited for Nestor to die, of course opening an investigation on him to help speed things along.
John took an early lead with one of his politicians doing an early wave, which was fine by me as it focused everyone one who the real enemy was. We showed everyone that the real way to use the assassination card is not to try kill the target, but to have the target squeal like a stuck pig, and denounce someone, hopefully someone powerful, such as a party chairman. Tim agreed to go along with this and his politician grudgingly took a bullet for the team, fortunately just in the shoulder to put an end to the chairman.

The yo-yo character of the game was Viktor Wasolin. He was most unfairly banished to Siberia. I used influence to rehabilitate him, and they sent him off to Siberia again. After much time and effort he was rehabilitated a second time. I was prepared to do great things with Viktor when Tim most unfairly revealed more influence on him and took control.

In years 3, 6, and 9 many players chose to add influence on various characters. I’ve never been able to come up with a winning strategy other than keep your head low and try to be the last man standing. Lacking any coherent strategy I generally chose more intrigue cards in hopes of throwing more randomness into the game. There was the usual blackmailing back and forth. Towards the end of the game everyone came out of the sanatorium as nobody wanted to miss an important vote. Some of them should have better stayed in the sanatorium as flu epidemics took their toll.

Towards the end for some inconceivable reason I found myself both in the chairman’s position as well as the head of the KGB. It was time to banish anyone who looked at me funny and generally anyone who was still breathing. I managed to successfully wave twice, and was all set for a third wave to win the game. I was feeling pretty good, I only had one wound marker and the only thing that could stop me was the health roll. Rolled, and the only die roll that could stop me, a ‘1’. Augh, and another politburo member is interred in the Kremlin wall. Fortunately I also controlled the Foreign minister. I think that the KGB chief was voted down, but another character that I controlled was moved into the chairmanship. I managed a third wave and the game was over.

Apologies to all the facts that were distorted and all of each players crowning achievements that were ignored. Kremlin is always a flurry, and I was in a lot of games at the convention so the details aren’t as sharp as they should be.


Edit: Well as we were writing our revisionist history, Tim came and set the record straight. Corrections below.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
Avatar
mbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:

In years 3, 6, and 9 many players chose to add influence on various characters. I’ve never been able to come up with a winning strategy other than keep your head low and try to be the last man standing. Lacking any coherent strategy I generally chose more intrigue cards in hopes of throwing more randomness into the game.


For the most part, it seems like I've found that taking additional influence is only good to cement a 10+ politician.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Duck!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually didn't play in this game. I would have liked to as it looked like a fun game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, Maybe it was Eldon's son quozl in there. I'll go back and check. This was definitely the highlight of the Con for me. I think that I'm finally beginning to get a grasp of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, that was me! I loved the game and would love to play again. Let me know when you're up for it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Shippert
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
autumnweave wrote:
Played this with Eldon Nichol 'Nichol', Tim Shippert 'Shippert' , John Fundak 'Velkiivo', and Richard 'Cuzzle' and Jeffrey Fisher.

It was definitely Jonathan Nichol (quozl), rather than Rich, according to my notes. Also my memory, but I trust my notes more.

Quote:
John took an early lead with one of his politicians doing an early wave

I believe Jeff Fischer was the only other player to wave (besides yourself), rather than one of the Jo[h]ns. He was the only one to get a wave in the first five rounds.

Quote:
We showed everyone that the real way to use the assassination card is not to try kill the target, but to have the target squeal like a stuck pig, and denounce someone, hopefully someone powerful, such as a party chairman. Tim agreed to go along with this and his politician grudgingly took a bullet for the team, fortunately just in the shoulder to put an end to the chairman.

It was my own damn fault that Jeff put a healthy guy up in the Chairmanship in the first place - I voted to promote his KGB head, because I thought I could engineer moving one of my guys into that position. (And, as we all know, the KGB really runs the show.) As it turns out, I was completely wrong about that, and John moved his guy into the KGB and started a pretty spectacular reign of terror. But in the meantime we had a young Party Chair who didn't need to roll to wave and wasn't going anywhere soon, all thanks to me, so it was only fair that I took the hit to bring him down.

Quote:
The yo-yo character of the game was Viktor Wasolin. He was most unfairly banished to Siberia. I used influence to rehabilitate him, and they sent him off to Siberia again. After much time and effort he was rehabilitated a second time.

John's KGB head really had it in for this guy, but I learned something valuable from this - there is no point in sitting on your hands when you get into power, especially early in the game. Even if you don't know who is controlling who, you really need to purge somebody when you get into position, because you have to keep people you don't control down. And, of course, once someone declares (or implies) an interest in somebody, keep stepping on his throat.

Quote:
I was prepared to do great things with Viktor when Tim most unfairly revealed more influence on him and took control.

I thought it was kind of funny the way you carried my water for this guy, but, actually, it would have been better for me if you hadn't given John a reason to keep purging him. I think I had my 8 or 9 on this guy - he was young, and I was hoping to use him as a sleeper for a possible late game move, but once the target was on his back there was no way to get it off.

Quote:
Towards the end for some inconceivable reason I found myself both in the chairman’s position as well as the head of the KGB.

Well, I know part of the reason - after laboriously moving my guys up through the ranks to Foreign Minister and then Defense Minister - just a whisper away from the big chair - you played two intrigue cards (one early, one late) to unfairly bounce them both all the way down to the proletariat. This opened the way to move your guys in to those power positions. Curse you, Dan!

Quote:
I managed to successfully wave twice, and was all set for a third wave to win the game. I was feeling pretty good, I only had one wound marker and the only thing that could stop me was the health roll. Rolled, and the only die roll that could stop me, a ‘1’.

That may have been the worst thing I have ever seen happen; after three hours of playing and on the cusp of a well-earned victory, a single die roll brings you tumbling down.

Quote:
I managed a third wave and the game was over.

Actually, as I recall, nobody could wave in the final couple turns, so we had to go into turn 11 - whoever controls the party chair after the turn 11 elections wins the game. We barely had enough Politburo members left to fill out the available slots, but you were able to wrangle enough votes for the victory after all.

I played Kremlin a few times maybe fifteen years ago, so it was fun to revisit the game. Thanks for running it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game, I always have fun times playing it although I have yet to use the intrigue cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
Avatar
mbmbmb
Ricomaurer wrote:
Great game, I always have fun times playing it although I have yet to use the intrigue cards.


The minor added complexity of using them is more than offset by the additional back-stabbing that they bring the game.

Definitely worth a try.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kjamma4 wrote:
Ricomaurer wrote:
Great game, I always have fun times playing it although I have yet to use the intrigue cards.


The minor added complexity of using them is more than offset by the additional back-stabbing that they bring the game.

Definitely worth a try.


The cards can be a little hard to understand, but they definitely add a lot of flavor to the game. I think that Jeff was a little taken aback that people wanted to play with the cards, but I'm glad that we did.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shippert wrote:

autumnweave wrote:
John took an early lead with one of his politicians doing an early wave

I believe Jeff Fischer was the only other player to wave (besides yourself), rather than one of the Jo[h]ns. He was the only one to get a wave in the first five rounds.
You're right I'm just too used to John taking command and running the show.

shippert wrote:
autumnweave wrote:
The yo-yo character of the game was Viktor Wasolin. He was most unfairly banished to Siberia. I used influence to rehabilitate him, and they sent him off to Siberia again. After much time and effort he was rehabilitated a second time.

John's KGB head really had it in for this guy, but I learned something valuable from this - there is no point in sitting on your hands when you get into power, especially early in the game. Even if you don't know who is controlling who, you really need to purge somebody when you get into position, because you have to keep people you don't control down. And, of course, once someone declares (or implies) an interest in somebody, keep stepping on his throat.
Once John becomes the head of the KGB, he's a purging machine.

shippert wrote:
autmnweave wrote:
I was prepared to do great things with Viktor when Tim most unfairly revealed more influence on him and took control.

I thought it was kind of funny the way you carried my water for this guy, but, actually, it would have been better for me if you hadn't given John a reason to keep purging him. I think I had my 8 or 9 on this guy - he was young, and I was hoping to use him as a sleeper for a possible late game move, but once the target was on his back there was no way to get it off.
I actually only had 5 influence on him, 4 once he got sent to Siberia and lost what I had displayed. But I found it amusing. Also it distracted everyone else from making targets of members that I actually had more influence on. Looks like it worked better than I realized.

shippert wrote:
autumnweave wrote:
Towards the end for some inconceivable reason I found myself both in the chairman’s position as well as the head of the KGB.

Well, I know part of the reason - after laboriously moving my guys up through the ranks to Foreign Minister and then Defense Minister - just a whisper away from the big chair - you played two intrigue cards (one early, one late) to unfairly bounce them both all the way down to the proletariat. This opened the way to move your guys in to those power positions. Curse you, Dan!
Ha ha!

shippert wrote:
autumnweave wrote:
I managed to successfully wave twice, and was all set for a third wave to win the game. I was feeling pretty good, I only had one wound marker and the only thing that could stop me was the health roll. Rolled, and the only die roll that could stop me, a ‘1’.

That may have been the worst thing I have ever seen happen; after three hours of playing and on the cusp of a well-earned victory, a single die roll brings you tumbling down.
If it had been any other game it would have been a lot worse. I always do so badly at this game I really didn't care. It would have just been another typical loss.

shippert wrote:
autumnweave wrote:
I managed a third wave and the game was over.

Actually, as I recall, nobody could wave in the final couple turns, so we had to go into turn 11 - whoever controls the party chair after the turn 11 elections wins the game. We barely had enough Politburo members left to fill out the available slots, but you were able to wrangle enough votes for the victory after all.
Right again Tim. Some of our games end because they are so bloody that not enough people are left alive/active in the Politburo. Everyone else is either interred in the wall or in Siberia.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.