Thomas Arnold
Germany
Griesheim
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have some little questions after reading the rules a second time:

1) If I have only one active (red) swiftness token left, and I have nothing to do on my current location - the only real option I have is returning to the town - as soon as I move to any another location via swiftness token, I have to retreat, move to town and end my turn. Did I understand this correctly?

2) If I have to exploit my last swiftness token to defeat a creature in my current area - what happens? Can I defeat the creature and retreat immediately after the battle, or is the battle canceled immediately and I do not defeat the enemy?

3) If the Invasion Marker moves to a red space, and I did not discover the third artifact piece yet, the Dark Lord of the Realm enters play. In every following turn, the Invasion Marker of this Realm move at least 1 space forward as long as the Dark Lord is not defeated, +1 for every creature other than the Lord. If this happenes early enough in the game (as result of bad play), it is possible that the game cannot be won now, because the third artifact piece appeares too late - more than 5 turns after the Dark Lord. Am I right?

4) Do the events in the upkeep phase happen one after another? Does the creature summoned by an enemy with "Summon" power count as I determine the steps of the Invasion Marker?

Thanks for these little clarifications,

Thomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

You understood everything correctly!

ThunderFall wrote:
1) If I have only one active (red) swiftness token left, and I have nothing to do on my current location - the only real option I have is returning to the town - as soon as I move to any another location via swiftness token, I have to retreat, move to town and end my turn. Did I understand this correctly?

Yes! And you should always try to move back to Town (by simply using all your Swiftness tokens), as it's the only way to replenish all your actions. The only case where you may prefer to end a turn outside Town is if you're planning to act as an ally for another player.

ThunderFall wrote:
2) If I have to exploit my last swiftness token to defeat a creature in my current area - what happens? Can I defeat the creature and retreat immediately after the battle, or is the battle canceled immediately and I do not defeat the enemy?

With your last Swiftness token you can first defeat a creature, and then you have to retreat to the Town area.

ThunderFall wrote:
3) If the Invasion Marker moves to a red space, and I did not discover the third artifact piece yet, the Dark Lord of the Realm enters play. In every following turn, the Invasion Marker of this Realm move at least 1 space forward as long as the Dark Lord is not defeated, +1 for every creature other than the Lord. If this happenes early enough in the game (as result of bad play), it is possible that the game cannot be won now, because the third artifact piece appeares too late - more than 5 turns after the Dark Lord. Am I right?

Yes, you're again correct, once the track token is on the red band, you've got at most 5 turns to try to defeat a Dark Lord. To clarify things a little I will add a brief strategy article in a following post.

ThunderFall wrote:
4) Do the events in the upkeep phase happen one after another? Does the creature summoned by an enemy with "Summon" power count as I determine the steps of the Invasion Marker?

Yes, the summoned creature does count when moving the track marker (summoning creatures should always be a target priority).
Also note that a summoned creature's Power can't activate in the same turn it's been summoned, or it could start an infinite cycle. I will add a note to the Summon rule description in the next manual version.

Thank you for your interest in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A brief strategy guide

1) Choose complementary characters. Male heroes usually excel in combat, while female heroes have access to a broader range of talents. I realize that right now character selection is pretty limited, but out of the few current characters Snow White and Red Riding Hood are excellent versatile heroes.

2) While your priority is always to try to clear the maps of every creature, you should also spend a few turns preparing for the confrontation with the Dark Lords.

3) You know in advance each Lord’s vulnerability (and the Artifact’s prerequisites), so use the "Magic Potions" Adventure card to collect the Talents missing from your characters. The "Works for Gold" Adventure card and the Treasures let you gather the money to spend on potions.

4) To get all the Artifact pieces you’ll only need to cycle twice trough the deck, which it takes a maximum of 24 turns in a 2-players game. If you manage to keep the Invasion track down to a low number, you should be able to defeat the Dark Lord before the track marker hits a red space.

Finally, the game is hard, but that should hopefully prove more challenging than frustrating. However, if you’re playing with kids I suggest that you tweak the rules (try not placing the starting vanguard creatures). Also, bear in mind that the next Realms will add more cards options, and ways to move back an Invasion track marker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another rules question:

May I exploit a crown talent instead of "spending" a money talent? Do I have to discard it when doing so?
(I suppose Yes and No are the answers that will work, but I'm not sure about it - this might proof to be really powerful for Jeanne d'Arc!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
meyberg wrote:
May I exploit a crown talent instead of "spending" a money talent? Do I have to discard it when doing so?

My mistake; the correct wording should be:

Crown Talent: this Talent acts as a Wild Card and can be exploited instead of any other Talent but Gold.

So... No, a Crown Talent cannot be spent instead of Gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much - that makes sense, I suppose...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, today I came up with yet an other question:
If I exploit my last swiftness talent in order to move into a town, do I nominally have to "retreat" (and thus draw a realm card)?

I would suggest no, but I'm not sure anyway.
Sorry if this situation is covered by the rulse; I didn't find anything regarding my problem...

(by the way: I'm enjoing my first (solo-)game (2 chars, 2 realms) a lot, even if my first impression points me to previously mentioned problems. I might have to try a game with three realms, for more variety of locations monster may appear.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
meyberg wrote:
If I exploit my last swiftness talent in order to move into a town, do I nominally have to "retreat" (and thus draw a realm card)?

No, moving into a Town doesn't count as a Retreat and you don't have to draw an extra card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your quick reply! In this case I made it too hard for me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, another one from me...

Regarding the Dark Magic Power:
- If a player exploits his/her last Swiftness Talent due to DM, does he/she have to retread immediately or after the challenge?
(we played he/she has to retreat immediately)
- Does DM affect blue Talents and/or Gold Talents (nice pun, by the way!)?
(we played DM does NOT affect them, but I'm rather unsure about this)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
meyberg wrote:
If a player exploits his/her last Swiftness Talent due to DM, does he/she have to retread immediately or after the challenge?
Before the challenge.

meyberg wrote:
Does DM affect blue Talents and/or Gold Talents?
Blue Talents are not affected, but Gold Talents can be affected (and thus discarded). I like to think that the sorcery destroys the treasures the heroes are carring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Meyberg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much! That clarifies everything just fine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kj Patterson
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
I have a question about your answer to this guy. When you say it's the only way to replenish your actions? what are you meaning? I'm confused by this. According to the rules, basic game. You stop moving when you run out of swift tokens and can't or don't want to do anything else. When the turn starts again, all you talents are refreshed, right? Why would stopping most times in town matter?

Thanks for your response.

Kim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is based on the game rules before it was picked up by Mage. Retreating to town and whatnot are no longer part of the game proper as far as I understand it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.