Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Burnell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! I can't believe what I am seeing. I purchased this game years ago when it first came out, back when I was in high school. Here it is 25 years later and I am doing a Google search for something. And do you know what came up in my search? Ambush!. At first I was like, the box cover looks familiar, but I couldn't remember from where. So I went to my mom's house and up in the attic- low and behold was the Ambush! game. Although the box was not in very good condition, everything else was in near mint. So I took it home and started to play it. It seems to be even more fun now than what it was when I first got it. Then I start looking further into solitaire board games and I come across this website, (very cool website btw) and then I find out that not only were there expansion mods for Ambush! I find out that a guy on E-Bay has made several new missions as well. So I have since purchased all that I could, which was everything minus the Silver Star mod and I am now very much enjoying the game with all of it's extra missions, and I have also purchased to other new games as well. The new Ranger board game with both expansion mods and D-Day at Omaha Beach, both of which look like excellent games and I can't wait to play them. I also look forward to learning more about other games and info on playing games through this website. Just thoght I would share my brief story. Thanks all...
SLUVSHISON
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This is a most excellent site! Check all the games John Butterfield has designed! You won't be disappointed with any of them. Welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a cool story. Extra points for still keeping the game in your parents' attic all these years! Ambush is extremely highly regarded here on the Geek (sadly, I have not played it). It's mentioned in almost every single solitaire-wargame GeekList even today. It still has a fairly high profile, even amongst other, newer, games.

This site has hundreds of excellent solitaire games for you to play through, and more than enough information for you to decide which ones you like best. Since you are new to the site, might I recommend looking at some of the GeekLists Ambush is mentioned in (you can find the links on the Ambush home page). They will lead you to other games that might fit your bill. And hopefully, you can expand your horizons here with other genres. Boardgaming is alive and well, and better than ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambush! and Battle Hymn are both excellent solo games. I had a similar story a few years ago when I recovered my old copy of Battle Hymn (the first wargame I purchased) and then eventually managed to find a cheap copy of Ambush! too.

It seems solo wargaming is at its high now, because there have been many excellent new releases (as well as some re-releases like RAF). I'm very much intrigued by D-Day at Omaha Beach, and love some of the recent games I've played like Fields of Fire, Frontline D-Day and Struggle for the Galactic Empire... The "Leader" Series is also one to check...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Points to your mom for not throwing it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Burnell
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! Again, thanks for the Gamers welcome guys. I think I am going to like it here.
SLUVSHISON
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sluvshison wrote:
WOW! Again, thanks for the Gamers welcome guys. I think I am going to like it here.
SLUVSHISON

Welcome aboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Scott! I logged LOTS of hours with Ambush back in the early 80's. Haven't played in awhile, but I think the game holds up really well after all this time.

I just had my first 2 plays of D-Day at Omaha Beach and it's ANOTHER great game from Mr. Butterfield! Well worth checking out!

Welcome to BGG!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Richards
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently discovered Ambush! as well. I ended up shelling out for a mint copy and it felt so wrong to punch out those chits. However, it's worth it because I've been enjoying the game. Just finished mission#3 this last weekend with my squad fully intact :)

Yes this site is like crack. It's led me to purchase over 50 games in the last 2 years, many of those some old solitaire greats:

Battle Hymn
RAF (original)
Raid on St Nazaire
Carrier

Also have D-Day at Omaha and I believe it's my favorite. Mr. Butterfield please keep making these great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Butterfield's old Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora off ebay earlier today. Might be his first paragraph driven solitaire game? If not THE first? Or was there some even older pre-Ambush! boardgame combining hexes and paragraphs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A very warm welcome to the site, Scott. You definately found the right place. It's funny that I played all of the Avalon Hill solo games in my day, but never played Ambush. I finally got a copy of the game still in the shrink wrap a couple years ago. It is still in the shrink wrap, hehehehe.....

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
I got Butterfield's old Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora off ebay earlier today. Might be his first paragraph driven solitaire game? If not THE first? Or was there some even older pre-Ambush! boardgame combining hexes and paragraphs?

The first paragraph game was Solo 01: Buffalo Castle for Tunnels and trolls. The first combination of paragraphs with boards was Grail Quest.

John's Voyage.. and Ambush! games are still pretty much unique, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Geek. Yes - the Ambush series of games are excellent. I am an avid solo gamer myself and I own and play many... lately I have been really enjoying the solo games coming out of Victory Point Games... check 'em out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Arroyo
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
pelni wrote:

The first paragraph game was Solo 01: Buffalo Castle for Tunnels and trolls. The first combination of paragraphs with boards was Grail Quest.

John's Voyage.. and Ambush! games are still pretty much unique, anyway.

Wow! I can't believe I never noticed both Voyage and Ambush! were by the same designer!!! blush

Voyage is an excellent game too, and now I know, I wish he would make a new attempt at a solo Sci-fi wargame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.