Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Franke
Germany
Nuremberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Phalanx posted in its blog on April 9th, the German version will be printed in August.
They also say, that it will be printed in Germany to ensure high quality standards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caesarbgg wrote:
As Phalanx posted in its blog on April 9th, the German version will be printed in August.
They also say, that it will be printed in Germany to ensure high quality standards.
This is awesome news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caesarbgg wrote:

DId they blog post the previous date(s) as well?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Franke
Germany
Nuremberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:

DId they blog post the previous date(s) as well?
B>

Touché! But that's why I wrote that Phalanx posted this info, not that Automobile will come in August.

Regarding your question I just checked:

1. On June, 16th 2009 Phalanx announced Automobile for October (= Essen). (Already excusing possible delays, due to their dependency on publishing partners)

2. On September 7th, they updated this information. Normally, Phalanx always produces in Germany/Europe. However, the copious game materials of Automobile and the development of the Dollar/Euro exchange rate (as Automobile is a Joint Venture with Mayfair), made them reconsider this and look for alternative production facilities, which made a postponement necessary. They did not name a new release date, but just made a general announcement for "spring".

So, it seems, they did not find suitable alternatives to the German game manufacturers and will publish in (very) late spring
However, only one concrete publishing date was not met until now and they never made such a clear statement as now ("Will be printed ... We will produce in Germany.").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So presumably the English-language version will be produced at the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VanVeen wrote:

We can only hope so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
VanVeen wrote:

We can only hope so!

Actually, a followup to Phalanx itself provided the same cryptic answer from two different people: "Mayfair will handle the English version."

So I wrote Mayfair. BTW, Mayfair and Phalanx rank 1 and 2, respectively, for the title of Worst Website Ever. Where's the contact info, boys? Fortunately I work for the Internets. The BBB listing for Mayfair provided a contact email (mayfair@mayfairgames.com), so I wrote one asking when the English reprint will occur.

Sigh.

Martin Wallace: Any chance of you just running up a few more copies in your garage? Might be easier for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaannd...update: Got a nice letter from Bill Fogarty, Director of Marketing. Upshot is, they have a very strict policy of not announcing reprint dates until they are SURE. They are eager to announce the date, but not yet ready.

Here's the email in full:

Quote:
Thank you for your email of Thursday, April 29, 2010. We here at Mayfair are eager to make the announcement. We have a company policy on making announcements only when we are VERY sure of the dates and details of the project. This policy is a result of past decisions by many companies in the game industry of making announcements and then having to listen to people complain when the product is late or different from the announcement. I understand that it can be frustrating, especially with such an eagerly anticipated project (as Automobile is); we want to make sure that we get it right (as much as is humanly possible) with the first announcement.

Thank you for your understanding and patience. Automobile is definitely worth it.

Cordially,

Bill Fogarty
Director of Marketing
Mayfair Games
P.O. Box 3815
Plant City, FL 33563
813.707.6659 phone
813.707.8791 fax
billf@mayfairgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, Automobile probably isn't worth it

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
For what it's worth, Automobile probably isn't worth it

B>

Of course, that makes absolutely zero sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Shaw
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does to me -- I owned it, played it twice, and traded it, as it isn't a great game. Interesting, but not developed enough. Not enough viable strategies to make it interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sshawmd wrote:
It does to me -- I owned it, played it twice, and traded it, as it isn't a great game. Interesting, but not developed enough. Not enough viable strategies to make it interesting.

So it isn't worth what it is worth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
English is complicated. The first "it" in my statement above doesn't refer to Automobile, the "isn't" next to Automobile does, and the final "it" again, does not.

On the bright side, English doesn't have grammatical genders.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Cozzolino
Italy
flag msg tools
thepackrat wrote:

Maybe english is complicated for that uh!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dick Ruck
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
Crabro was my first own-design stunt kite, named after a genus of black and yellow stinging insect in the UK
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:

Oh yes she does!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gabryk wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

Maybe english is complicated for that uh!?

English had them and then threw them away many centuries ago. Unfortunately, it replaced the missing complexity by borrowing bits of rules from all the different languages it steals words from. This is just as, if not more, difficult for people learning the language. (although I have no sympathy for German speakers who complain about phrasal verbs)

Of course, some people just give up and do amazingly boneheaded things like invent the word "homophobe". They should be beaten and forced to speak nothing but French under the direct supervision of the silly french language council for the rest of their natural lives.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ingo Keiner
Germany
Oberhausen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lookout Games announces on their website that they will publish it Octobre 2010.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And failing that, there's always Essen next year.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.