BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Game Recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Paschen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My buddies and I get together and play games every Wednesday night, and we're looking for something new and exciting. The game needs to play up to 6 players and we currently rotate playing between 'Settlers of Catan' 'Ticket to Ride' 'Scotland Yard' and 'Risk'.

Ok, so you know what type of games we play (and needs to be able to accommodate up to 6 players), what game(s) would you recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid or Steam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
I'd go with the short fillers Citadels and Ca$h 'n Gun$, the co-ops Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and Shadows over Camelot, and the fabulously ludicrous, ludicrously fabulous War on Terror.

None of the above is significantly more complex than what you're playing, all are very different from what you've been playing in ways you should find exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Sorel
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BANG! is always near the top of the list when my game night gets to 6- people

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you play Ticket to Ride with 6 players?

Power Grid, Steam, and Citadels are good suggestions. Bang is ok, but short-lived. More funny than gamey. Couple more:
Imperial 2030
Chicago Express

Perhaps too heavy:
A Game of Thrones: A Clash of Kings Expansion (requires base game)
Struggle of Empires

Perhaps too light:
Bohnanza
Medici
For Sale

In general, 6 is a tough number. I generally avoid playing 6p games. The lure is that the more the merrier, but they usually end up being either overly long or chaotic or both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it myself, but Bootleggers is often mentioned as a "best with six" game.

EDIT: also, Shadows over Camelot falls into that same category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington

Long Island City
New York
msg tools
euronoob wrote:
I haven't played it myself, but Bootleggers is often mentioned as a "best with six" game.

AWESOME! Totally forgot about BOOTLEGGERS! Excellent choice! I don'tknow if it's best with 6, but it definitely plays that many, though I'd say it is a bit higher in complexity than the ones I put up -I wouldn't think it would intimidate a reasonably experienced crew.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outkast wrote:
euronoob wrote:

AWESOME! Totally forgot about BOOTLEGGERS! Excellent choice! I don'tknow if it's best with 6, but it definitely plays that many, though I'd say it is a bit higher in complexity than the ones I put up -I wouldn't think it would intimidate a reasonably experienced crew.

of course you've already mentioned SoC blush - but i was thinking in the "best with six or more" box, I guess whistle

yea, depends on how much faith you put in the BGG "best with" rating. I hope to try a game of six with bootleggers (we've got a copy kicking around). SoC is on the someday-wishlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had this - needed game for 6p. Alhambra was a big hit, as was Metro.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Santa Clara
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try, Medieval Merchant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
logicalgambit wrote:
You should try, Medieval Merchant

It's not generally available (but yes, you can find a copy here or there). New edition (new theme plus gameplay updates) allegedly coming later this year. So I'm waiting for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.