Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Suppose I remodel a card that costs 3 coins and a potion. What can I gain? Cards that cost up to 5 coins? Cards that cost up to 5 coins and a potion?

Suppose I upgrade a card that costs 3 coins and a potion. Can I only upgrade to a card that costs 4 coins? Only a card that costs 4 coins and a potion? Either?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remodel says 2 more, so you could upgrade a 5C1P to a 6 or 7C no problem. I don't think you'll be able to upgrade a 3C to a 5C1P, because the 5C1P costs an additional 1P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As of Alchemy, card costs are now made up of two different resources: coins and potions. All cards released prior to Alchemy have an implied potion cost of 0.

Remodel only allows you to exceed the coin cost, so you cannot gain a card with a higher potion cost (though you could certainly take a card with a lower potion cost).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:
Suppose I remodel a card that costs 3 coins and a potion. What can I gain? Cards that cost up to 5 coins? Cards that cost up to 5 coins and a potion?

Remodel says "...up to (2 Coins) more...." So, you can gain anything P+5 or less, which includes the option to gain a card that costs less than one potion and/or less than 5 coins.

Quote:
Suppose I upgrade a card that costs 3 coins and a potion. Can I only upgrade to a card that costs 4 coins? Only a card that costs 4 coins and a potion? Either?

Upgrade says "...exactly (1 Coin) more...." So, you can gain anything that costs exactly P+4. If a card costing exactly P+4 is not available in the supply, you gain nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andylatto wrote:

How about Salvager?

http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/scans/seaside/salvager.jpg

My guess is that if you trash an alchemy card (one that requires a potion to buy) you would only get the coin value from it. But the coin on the card could also refer to "treasure", which would mean "coins and potions and other treasure".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
andylatto wrote:

How about Salvager?

http://dominion.diehrstraits.com/scans/seaside/salvager.jpg

My guess is that if you trash an alchemy card (one that requires a potion to buy) you would only get the coin value from it. But the coin on the card could also refer to "treasure", which would mean "coins and potions and other treasure".

The coin means coins. You don't get anything for the cost in Potions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whitney Barnes

California
msg tools
jeffwolfe wrote:
andylatto wrote:

Remodel says "...up to (2 Coins) more...." So, you can gain anything P+5 or less, which includes the option to gain a card that costs less than one potion and/or less than 5 coins.

Quote:

Upgrade says "...exactly (1 Coin) more...." So, you can gain anything that costs exactly P+4. If a card costing exactly P+4 is not available in the supply, you gain nothing.

So in that vein (and I did look around before asking this, I don't see anything explicit all in one place yet):

Feast, University, Smuggler, Ironworks and Workshop can't gain cards with potion costs, right? Because they all say "Gain a card costing up to X coins", with an implied "and costing 0 potions". Nothing but a Philosopher's Stone can be Mined into a Philosopher's Stone, for the same reason.

Swindler and Upgrade require that the replacement card have the same potion cost as the trashed card. Remodel and Sabatour allow a trashed card of potion cost 1 to be replaced with a card of potion cost 0, but you can't replace a card of potion cost 0 with a card of potion cost 1.

Is all that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swbarnes2 wrote:
So in that vein (and I did look around before asking this, I don't see anything explicit all in one place yet):

Feast, University, Smuggler, Ironworks and Workshop can't gain cards with potion costs, right? Because they all say "Gain a card costing up to X coins", with an implied "and costing 0 potions". Nothing but a Philosopher's Stone can be Mined into a Philosopher's Stone, for the same reason.

Swindler and Upgrade require that the replacement card have the same potion cost as the trashed card. Remodel and Sabatour allow a trashed card of potion cost 1 to be replaced with a card of potion cost 0, but you can't replace a card of potion cost 0 with a card of potion cost 1.

Is all that right?

Yes, except that if another Treasure with Potion in its cost is ever released, the answer to your Philosopher's Stone question might change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Baldwin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
jeffwolfe wrote:
swbarnes2 wrote:

Is all that right?

Yes, except that if another Treasure with Potion in its cost is ever released, the answer to your Philosopher's Stone question might change.

Except the percentage of that happening with official sets is close to 0%. It may change after 2012, but at this point DXV has said Potions are an Alchemy only card at this point.

There is still the possibility of fan cards with potion costs, though I hope people play a lot of Alchemy first before adding potion costs into new cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How will Upgrade work with potions?

I doubt most games being played with Alchemy will have a card that costs exactly 1 more coin AND costs 1 potion. This would make most cards with a potion cost un-upgradable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:
How will Upgrade work with potions?

I doubt most games being played with Alchemy will have a card that costs exactly 1 more coin AND costs 1 potion. This would make most cards with a potion cost un-upgradable.

Aside from the actual mechanics, which are discussed above, the opportunity to Upgrade cards with Potion in their cost is a bit limited. Still, there are P2s that can be readily upgraded to P3s that can be readily upgraded to P4s. You would need something like Bridge to Upgrade the P0s to P2s. It would take lots of Bridges to Upgrade something to Possession (P6).

Even so, the recommendation is to use 3-5 Alchemy cards, so there will usually be plenty of non-Potion cards for Upgrade. Plus, you always have Estate->Silver, Duchy->Gold, Upgrade->Gold, and Curse->(nothing), at least until one of those money piles is drained.

ETA: I forgot two of the best uses for Upgrade when Potions are in play: Silver->Potion and Potion->Duchy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you can't Swindler someone's Vineyard for a Curse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kerred wrote:
So you can't Swindler someone's Vineyard for a Curse

No, Swindler has no way of creating a Potion out of thin air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:
As of Alchemy, card costs are now made up of two different resources: coins and potions. All cards released prior to Alchemy have an implied potion cost of 0.

Remodel only allows you to exceed the coin cost, so you cannot gain a card with a higher potion cost (though you could certainly take a card with a lower potion cost).

So, to sum up, a 2 coin + 1 potion card (e.g., Scrying Pool) can be remodeled into a:

1) 4 coin + 1 potion card. (e.g., Golem)
2) 4 coin card. (e.g., Smithy)
3) In general: X coin + Y potion card, with X ≤ 4 and Y ≤ 1.

With upgrade, a 2 coin + 1 potion card can be upgraded to a card costing exactly 3 coins + 1 potion.

That's my understanding based on the cards' texts and the rules.
Is it correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
Salt-Man Z wrote:

So, to sum up, a 2 coin + 1 potion card (e.g., Scrying Pool) can be remodeled into a:

1) 4 coin + 1 potion card. (e.g., Golem)
2) 4 coin card. (e.g., Smithy)
3) In general: X coin + Y potion card, with X ≤ 4 and Y ≤ 1.

With upgrade, a 2 coin + 1 potion card can be upgraded to a card costing exactly 3 coins + 1 potion.

That's my understanding based on the cards' texts and the rules.
Is it correct?

That is all correct.

And just to be clear, if you play Upgrade and trash such a card, and there is no card costing exactly 3 coins + 1 potion in the supply then the card is still trashed but you gain nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.