Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Taylor
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
3 quick leader questions.

1) The leader dice rolls only count for attached units (the one unit that the leader is attached to) and not adjacent units, right. This is how I read the rules, but some of the posts have me thinking again.

2) I also understood it that a leader attached unit can provide leader morale support to all adjacent units. Specifically, you get the morale bonus even if the leader unit is the only one that you are touching.

3) If a unit is attached to a leader attached unit and one more can it ignore 2 flags (1 for the leader and 1 for support? I hadn't thought this was the case, but some of the posts are making me think I was missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mat9h wrote:
1) The leader dice rolls only count for attached units (the one unit that the leader is attached to) and not adjacent units, right. This is how I read the rules, but some of the posts have me thinking again.

A unit scores hits in close combat (not ranged) on leader symbols if a leader is attached or adjacent. A unit is able to ignore a flag only if the leader is attached.

The other benefit of an attached leader is that an infantry unit can advance after combat and get a bonus close combat. Cavalry and warriors are eligible to do this, but leaders allow you to do it with other infantry.

mat9h wrote:
2) I also understood it that a leader attached unit can provide leader morale support to all adjacent units. Specifically, you get the morale bonus even if the leader unit is the only one that you are touching.

A leader counts as a unit for support, so if you have an unattached leader adjacent as well as an adjacent unit, you can ignore a flag.

mat9h wrote:
3) If a unit is attached to a leader attached unit and one more can it ignore 2 flags (1 for the leader and 1 for support? I hadn't thought this was the case, but some of the posts are making me think I was missing something.

Yes, if you have two adjacent units and an attached leader, you can ignore 2 flags. If the unit with the leader was a full strength warrior unit (which can intrinsically ignore a flag), you could ignore a 3rd flag (one for the warrior, one for the attached leader, and one for the two supporting units).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
The Helmet symbol is lent to units adjacent to the leader as well as the unit the leader is attached to.

The "Advance and may Battle" and the "Ignore one Flag" is only give to the unit the leader is attached to.

The "Ignore one Flag" ability DOES stack with other (thus an undamaged Warrior with a leader attached may ignore 2 flags)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which edition of the rules do you have?

All these questions are directly addressed in 3rd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-L├ęgier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
A leader counts as a unit for support, so if you have a leader and another adjacent unit, you can ignore a flag.
Note that the leader support is additional to the two units support.
So, if your unit is supported by two units and one of them has an attached leader, that makes two flags that you can ignore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike,
Kevin is right: 3rd edition rules should be clear about this.

Here you can find Rules about Leader Benefits:
http://www.ccancients.net/Rules/Base-Game/14-leaders.html

Alessandro - CCAncients.net Admin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Taylor
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
kduke wrote:
Which edition of the rules do you have?

All these questions are directly addressed in 3rd edition.

3rd Edition. It looks like I switched the leader roles when phrasing the question (which role is tied to attached units and which is tied to attached & adjacent)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
St Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So, if your unit is supported by two units and one of them has an attached leader, that makes two flags that you can ignore.

This is wrong.

Quote:
A leader, when alone in a hex, may act as an adjacent support unit and can provide support just as a unit does.

The rule is bolster morale with either two units or one unit and a lone leader. Two units which have an attached leader would still only allow you to ignore one flag.

Quote:
A unit may disregard one flag when a leader is attached to the unit (leader is in the hex with the unit). If the unit loses one or more blocks, the leader must survive the leader casualty check for the unit to ignore one flag.

Only the unit actually receiving the flag result can gain benefit from an attached leader (and only one attached to the unit itself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gb1469 wrote:
Quote:

This is wrong.

You're correct. I rephrased my answer above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.