Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rags the tiger
United States
Lost Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Hi,
We just started playing LNOE, and are currently using just the base game and the Hero Pack 1 expansion. I have been reading about the Dots system, which I gather is intended to help players balance the game when using optional rules and expansions, and I have a question about it:
When you use the Hero Pack expansion, is there any need to balance the game by using an optional rule to help the Zombies?
That is, is the Hero Pack, by itself, worth any Dots? If so, how many?

Using the Hero Pack does increase the pool of available heroes, and some of them have pretty valuable special abilities (like the Chemistry Teacher's eternal flame), so bringing this expansion into the game would seem to be a bonus to the hero players.

Also, the base rulebook states that when playing with the advanced rules, it is permissible for the hero players to choose their characters rather than drawing them randomly. Does this apply to all advanced scenarios, like the downloadable web ones, and the ones which come in the expansions?
This also seems like it favors the heroes -- does everyone here choose their heroes all the time, or just some of the time, or what?

Thanks in advance,
rags

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Cardiel
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
Using the hero pack don't count as a dot.

We take heros random except of the scenario "we've got to go back!"

But if zombis win more games, try to chose them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think choosing your own heroes counts as a dot. If it doesn't, it should. Otherwise, like Lyude says, using the hero pack doesn't add any dots. Sure, Mr. Goddard is very good and so is Victor but Stacy and Jade are pretty weak compared to other heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rags the tiger
United States
Lost Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Roman Farraday: I think choosing your own heroes counts as a dot. If it doesn't, it should.

Yes, I tend to agree with that, especially if you already know what scenario you're going to be playing. Also, if you choose your heroes, you are likely to take the same ones over and over (who doesn't want to start with a revolver?) while some will never get picked. Alternatively, if you have less than 3 hero players, you could pick one and take the rest randomly -- that would give you the hero you want the most while ensuring some variety as well.

Thanks for your replies.
rags

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to agree with this as well.
The way we normally do it, is each player draws twice as many characters as they need, and then they can choose one. It seems a good compromise, as some characters just aren't that good for every scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like random selection just as it spices things up, it can be so satisfying to beat a scenario with a "Weak" character as it adds to the against the odds feel of the game. I think choosing characters would only work in a limited pool or in a campaign type of system i.e. a character stays dead if their wound boxes fill up so you have to work out is it worth risking them in this scenario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Mercer
msg tools
mb
Brichs wrote:
The way we normally do it, is each player draws twice as many characters as they need, and then they can choose one. It seems a good compromise, as some characters just aren't that good for every scenario.

we play similar but each player draws one extra character instead of twice as many. So in a 1 on 1 game hero player draws 5 and choses 1 to get rid of.
Usually saves us having the Prom Queen with no male characters or Jenny without the Farm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DominoMasque wrote:
Brichs wrote:

we play similar but each player draws one extra character instead of twice as many. So in a 1 on 1 game hero player draws 5 and choses 1 to get rid of.
Usually saves us having the Prom Queen with no male characters or Jenny without the Farm.

Yeah, well, we normally play 4 players, when we do this. Haven't actually tried this with fewer, but if I do, I'll probably do it your way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.