California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT (9/8/11): Updated to v1.5
EDIT (9/26/2011): Added Expansion #1
EDIT (11/22/2011): Added Expansion #2 and the Allegiance Add-On
EDIT (6/5/2012): Updated to v2.0

THIS THREAD IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED. FOR THE LATEST INFO, REFER TO THE OFFICIAL BattleTech: Domination GAME PAGE.

Battletech: Domination is a game for 2 players that will be easy for Dominion players to play, but non-Dominion players will also find the game quick to learn. Just like in Dominion, each player starts with an identical, very small deck of cards. In the center of the table is a selection of other cards the players can "buy" as they can afford them. However, in addition to treasure and action cards, players can also buy unit cards that represent mechs, vehicles, and infantry units to build an army, attack their opponent, and defend against their opponent's attacks, with the player's deck itself used as the target of the attack! Through their selection of cards to buy, and how they play their hands as they draw them, the players construct their deck (and their army) on the fly, striving for the most efficient path to total domination while defending against an opponent with the same goal.

I am interested in community feedback and will be updating the cards over time. Your comments are appreciated!

Thank you to everyone who has already contributed to Battletech: Dominion and supported the game since I first proposed the idea, and thanks in advance to those who help improve the game. I hope you enjoy Battletech: Domination as much as I enjoyed creating it.

The previous forum thread discussing the development of Battletech: Domination can be found at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/492033

STARTER SET v2.0:

EXPANSIONS 1+2 v2.0:

ALLEGIANCE ADD-ON (v1.6):
(Will be updated to v2.0 shortly...)

COMPLETE RULES:

Game Contents:

There are fivebasic types of cards in Battletech: Domination:

Resource Cards (yellow) - provide resources to buy new cards
Support Cards (gray) - can be played during the player’s Action phase to provide some benefit to the player
Support-Attack cards (gray) - can be played during the player’s Action phase to hinder the opponent in some way
Reaction cards(blue) - can be played during the opponent’s turn
Unit-Mech cards (red), Unit-Vehicle cards (orange), Unit-Infantry cards (green)- form the army that will attack your opponent during your Combat phase and defend against your opponent’s attacks during their Combat phase

Game Set‐Up:

Battletech: Domination comes with many different sets of Supply cards, but each game uses only sixteen (16) of these sets:
-- Four (4) piles of Base Cards: Basic Factory (25x), Munitions Factory (15x), Advanced Factory (10x), and Infantry Platoon (20x). (These sets are used in every game.)
-- Six (6) piles of Unit cards chosen by the players or at random, with five (5) copies of the card in each pile.
-- Six (6) piles of Support cards chosen by the players or at random, with five (5) copies of the card in each pile.

- The sixteen (16) sets of cards used in the game are called the "Supply".
- Designate a "Scrapheap" for cards that are scrapped (removed from play) during the game.
- Each player is dealt seven (7) basic factories and three (3) infantry platoons from the supply and shuffles these cards together to form his starting draw deck.

Goal:

- When the game ends, the player with the most cards combined in his deck (draw deck + discard pile + hand) is the winner. In the event of a tie, the player who went second shall be considered the winner.
- Deployed units are not counted as part of the player's deck for end-of-game scoring purposes.

Start of Game:

- Choose a player to go first.
- The player who goes first creates his hand by drawing three (3) cards from his draw deck. (Note: The first player will draw a new hand of five cards rather than three at the end of all subsequent turns.)
- The player who goes second creates his hand by drawing five (5) cards from his draw deck.
- The first player plays his turn in the following sequence.

Turn Sequence:

NOTE: The current player must always complete each phase before moving on to the next phase.

1) ATTACK PHASE
The current player automatically ATTACKS his opponent in the following sequence:

A) Each player chooses and resolves any of his unit’s special abilities (attacker uses his abilities first, then defender).

- Each special ability must be completely resolved before moving on to the next ability or turn phase.
- If a player has more than one special ability to choose from, he may choose which order to use them.

B) Calculate the attacker’s Total Attack Value and defender’s Total Defense Value by summing the attack/defense values of each unit in his deployment zone, including any unit bonuses and abilities.

C) If the total attack value is greater than the total defense value, then the defender is OVERRUN.

---C1) The difference between the Total Attack Value and Total Defense Value is the OVERRUN VALUE: (TOTAL ATTACK - TOTAL DEFENSE = OVERRUN VALUE) The Overrun Value can never be less than zero.
---C2) The defender must immediately scrap a number of cards equal to the Overrun Value (to a max of 3). The defender can never be forced to scrap more than three cards per turn, even if the Overrun Value is greater than three. The cards are scrapped one at a time and may be scrapped from his hand, top of the draw deck, deployment zone, or a combination of the above (defender’s choice).

D) Additionally, if the attacker’s total attack value is greater than 1, the defender must discard a unit from his deployment zone (defender’s choice).

- Whenever a card or ability states to "damage an opposing unit...", the owner of the unit to be damaged chooses which of his units to damage unless stated otherwise on the card.

2) ACTION PHASE
- The current player may perform two (2) actions per turn, which can be used to do either or both of the following:
---a) Play a Support card from his hand (costs 1 action per card); and/or
---b) Deploy a Unit card from his hand into his deployment zone (costs 1 action per unit).

- Some Support cards played during the Action phase may grant the player with addtional Actions that he may use to at any point during the Action phase to play more Support cards or deploy more Units.
- Unused actions are not carried over from turn-to-turn and disappear at the end of the current Action phase.
- Any cards that are "gained" are placed into the player’s discard pile.

3) BUY PHASE
A) The current player may play any/all Resources cards from his hand. The value of each Resource card play in this way is added to his "resource pool" avaiable to buy cards during the current Buy phase. Any extra resources provided by Support cards played during the Action phase are also added to the resource pool.
B) The current player may then buy one (1) card from the Supply costing up to the total value of the player's resource pool, and gain a copy of it from the Supply.

- All card(s) that are bought in this way are placed into the player’s discard pile.
- Some Support cards played during the Action phase may grant the player with addtional Buys that he may use to buy addtional cards during the Buy phase. You must have enough resources in play to buy each card.
- Unused resources and buys do not carry over from turn-to-turn and disappear at the end of the current Buy phase.

4) CLEAN‐UP PHASE
A) The current player places all support and resource cards that were layed this turn plus the remainder of his hand into his discard pile. NOTE: Deployed units remain in the player’s deployment zone and are not discarded from the deployment zone unless they are "damaged" by an opponent's attack.
B) The current player then draws a new hand of five (5) cards from his deck.
C) The opposing player begins his turn, starting with the Attack phase.

NOTE: The player shuffles his discard pile to form a new draw deck anytime there are not enough cards in the draw deck to draw the required amount of cards.

End of Game:
The game ends at the end of the current player’s turn when either one of the following conditions are met:
a) A player has no cards in his deck (draw deck + discard pile + hand).
b) Any four (4) Supply piles are empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
v1.1 of the print-ready pdf file has been posted to the file page. The extra copy of Fortifications has been removed and replaced with Confusing Orders, which was missing entirely in v1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Nyberg
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Notised that after I printed and could not figure how 10 copies of one card could have been printed. Then I Noticed that I was looking at the new file after the correction when trying to find the error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
Finally got the light fixed in my room, so that I can actually play the game.

I like most of the changes, but think Mobile HQ is overpriced. If it just gives +1 Action, it probably shouldn't cost a Research. I'm playing a game with it set like that to see if it is too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who are interested, I've added some low-res card backs to the file page: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/54843

I created these card backs in less than an hour, so feedback would be much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisada Ransibrahmanakul
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkapi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hi , im still working on cutting papers then i cam across these two cards

Confusing Orders - the second part is really confusing to me.What it is actually meaning?

Surprise Attack - what dose it meant to immediately attack?

sorry for my English , im not native speaker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this helps clarify your confusion:

a2b2c517 wrote:
Confusing Orders - the second part is really confusing to me.What it is actually meaning?

The second part of the card is a clarification that both players must take the top card of the pile when they buy or gain cards. They cannot take the middle card from the pile to avoid the card you put on top of the pile. I put this clarification on the card because there is nothing in the Dominion rules that say you have to take the top card from a pile.

a2b2c517 wrote:
Surprise Attack - what dose it meant to immediately attack?

This means that you get to repeat your Attack phase as an action. In other words, you get two attak phases in the same turn, but you do not get to buy any cards or deploy any units.

a2b2c517 wrote:
sorry for my English , im not native speaker

No problem! I hope you enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sisada Ransibrahmanakul
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkapi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tired playing with this game for 4 rounds with my girlfriend and it quite rock . only one thing I didn't like is that there very little chance for player to win after been overruned by larger army. but this is nice game after all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Nyberg
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it felt like you where lost after loosing only one Battle as you will loose the next round to, as you will lose 3 cards from the hand or random cards from deck.

a2b2c517 wrote:
tired playing with this game for 4 rounds with my girlfriend and it quite rock . only one thing I didn't like is that there very little chance for player to win after been overruned by larger army. but this is nice game after all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a2b2c517 wrote:

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

As for coming back from behind, in my playtests I had several games where the player who lost the first few battles was able to come from behind to win. Since you can choose which cards to trash when you are overrun, try to trash basic factories whenever possible. This will make your deck more lean and more powerful for the short term, helping you make up for those losses.

nybba wrote:
Yes it felt like you where lost after loosing only one Battle as you will loose the next round to, as you will lose 3 cards from the hand or random cards from deck.

This is a fair point, but I don't feel that the game is immediately lost as soon as you lose you first battle. I'm not trying to say that the game is perfect as is, but here are some points to consider:

- Since each player only starts with Infantry Platoons (which must be discarded to Attack), there shouldn't be any trashing of cards for at least the first 5-10 rounds. Use your IP to bolster your defense so that when the first mechs start showing up your defense is ready for them.
- You shouldn't be trashing 3 cards when attacked unless you are dramatically overpowered. Most of the time, you should be trashing 0-1 cards per turn, and should only be trashing 2-3 cards when the situation is getting dire.
- Try to keep a constant screen of IP deployed so that you can discard them when you are attacked, keeping your stronger units in play at all times.
- Remember that your opponent must discard a unit from his deployment zone during your attack phase, even if his defense is greater than your attack! This should help keep parity between the two armies. +Action cards can help you deploy more units each turn.
- Watch what your opponent is buying and try to buy counters to those cards before he is able to deploy them.
- Decide early whether you want to buy many cheap units or few expensive units, and adjust your card-buying strategies accordingly. If you want to deploy lots of cheap units, be sure to buy cards with +Actions.

I hope this helps. Also, this game plays quite a bit different than regular Dominion, so you may need to readjust your thinking and strategies. You're not buying Provinces anymore.

Good luck! Please continue to share your experiences with the game. I value your feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Nyberg
Sweden
Luleå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:
a2b2c517 wrote:

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

As for coming back from behind, in my playtests I had several games where the player who lost the first few battles was able to come from behind to win. Since you can choose which cards to trash when you are overrun, try to trash basic factories whenever possible. This will make your deck more lean and more powerful for the short term, helping you make up for those losses.

nybba wrote:

This is a fair point, but I don't feel that the game is immediately lost as soon as you lose you first battle. I'm not trying to say that the game is perfect as is, but here are some points to consider:

- Since each player only starts with Infantry Platoons (which must be discarded to Attack), there shouldn't be any trashing of cards for at least the first 5-10 rounds. Use your IP to bolster your defense so that when the first mechs start showing up your defense is ready for them.
- You shouldn't be trashing 3 cards when attacked unless you are dramatically overpowered. Most of the time, you should be trashing 0-1 cards per turn, and should only be trashing 2-3 cards when the situation is getting dire.
- Try to keep a constant screen of IP deployed so that you can discard them when you are attacked, keeping your stronger units in play at all times.
- Remember that your opponent must discard a unit from his deployment zone during your attack phase, even if his defense is greater than your attack! This should help keep parity between the two armies. +Action cards can help you deploy more units each turn.
- Watch what your opponent is buying and try to buy counters to those cards before he is able to deploy them.
- Decide early whether you want to buy many cheap units or few expensive units, and adjust your card-buying strategies accordingly. If you want to deploy lots of cheap units, be sure to buy cards with +Actions.

I hope this helps. Also, this game plays quite a bit different than regular Dominion, so you may need to readjust your thinking and strategies. You're not buying Provinces anymore.

Good luck! Please continue to share your experiences with the game. I value your feedback.

Yes I lost a lot of cards in the beginning of the game but ended up with a lot of attack and where unbetable by halfway. So there was a problem when the attack value is more then the defense.

About the IP. The bonus Defense of +1. What is the point with it. You lose a unit with Defense 1 to get +1. Is it supposed to be +2 so you still will get any use for it or is it just worded wrong?

Otherwise it is a very nice variant that I would like to se developed more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We like this game enough to upgrade our components. We current just have a paper set, but we need thicker cards so shuffling is easier and cards are more durable.

I like it more than Dominion. Probably because it's more Ameritrash-y.

Some questions from our first few plays, some of which are because I have only played original Dominion 2 or 3 times.

1) Can your last IP be discarded for a +1 bonus? So you are still considered attacking even though your depoyment zone is empty after using abilities.

In reply to last poster: You can discard for +1 defense to get them out of your DZ for endgame scoring. We had the same question until we got to the end of our 2nd game.

2) I assume that revealed reaction cards stay in your hand.

3) How does project team work? If you trash it as you play it, you get all the abilities shown (1 card, 1 action, 1 flask, 1 factory)?

4) Can a player look at the cards scrapped from the top of their draw deck as they are scrapped?

5) I assume that "trash" and "scrap" are interchangable.

6) With repair crew, you must discard a unit, but you can pick up a unit, resource, or support, correct?

7) Can supply route be used to get another supply route?

Thanks for a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nybba wrote:
Yes I lost a lot of cards in the beginning of the game but ended up with a lot of attack and where unbetable by halfway. So there was a problem when the attack value is more then the defense.

About the IP. The bonus Defense of +1. What is the point with it. You lose a unit with Defense 1 to get +1. Is it supposed to be +2 so you still will get any use for it or is it just worded wrong?

Otherwise it is a very nice variant that I would like to se developed more.

Hi Magnus, you make a very good point regarding the IP bonus. I understand your confusion now. The card is poorly worded. The Expendable ability is supposed to be that you gain +1 attack or defense if you discard the IP at the end of your attack phase. This means that the IP can be worth 2 Def or 1 Att if you discard it, but if you want the extra Def or Att you will have one less unit in your deployment zone.

I hope this makes more sense. Thank you for pointing this out. I will reword the card in the next version to clarify.

havoc110 wrote:
We like this game enough to upgrade our components. We current just have a paper set, but we need thicker cards so shuffling is easier and cards are more durable.

I like it more than Dominion. Probably because it's more Ameritrash-y.

Some questions from our first few plays, some of which are because I have only played original Dominion 2 or 3 times.

Thanks! I appreciate the compliments. Here are the answers to your questions:

havoc110 wrote:
1) Can your last IP be discarded for a +1 bonus? So you are still considered attacking even though your depoyment zone is empty after using abilities.

In reply to last poster: You can discard for +1 defense to get them out of your DZ for endgame scoring. We had the same question until we got to the end of our 2nd game.

See my clarification above. In summary, each Infantry Platoon is either worth 0 Att/1 Def if you leave it in your deployment zone or 0 Att/2 Def if you discard it. If you discard the IP, it cannot be used as the discard you are forced to make when attacked. Hopefully this makes sense.

You can also use the ability for end game scoring like you describe, but this was not the main purpose of the Expendable ability.

havoc110 wrote:
2) I assume that revealed reaction cards stay in your hand.

Yes, they do. They can also be played like regular action cards on your turn.

havoc110 wrote:
3) How does project team work? If you trash it as you play it, you get all the abilities shown (1 card, 1 action, 1 flask, 1 factory)?

Yes, you are correct. You can play the card normally for +1 Card, +1 Action, or you can play it and then trash it for +1 Card, +1 Action, +1 Tech (flask), and gain a basic factory. It is very similar to Mining Village if you've played Dominion: Intrigue.

havoc110 wrote:
4) Can a player look at the cards scrapped from the top of their draw deck as they are scrapped?

You can look at them as you scrap them, but not BEFORE you scrap them. Scrapping from the top of your deck is supposed to have additional risk because you might lose a powerful card, but it may be worth the risk if you don't have any cards in your hand that you want to scrap.

havoc110 wrote:
5) I assume that "trash" and "scrap" are interchangable.
Yes, they are. If you see the word "trash" anywhere, it is a typo. Let me know where the typos are and I will fix them in the next version.

havoc110 wrote:
6) With repair crew, you must discard a unit, but you can pick up a unit, resource, or support, correct?

Exactly.

havoc110 wrote:
7) Can supply route be used to get another supply route?
Yes.

havoc110 wrote:
Thanks for a great game.

I'm glad you like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:

See my clarification above. In summary, each Infantry Platoon is either worth 0 Att/1 Def if you leave it in your deployment zone or 0 Att/2 Def if you discard it. If you discard the IP, it cannot be used as the discard you are forced to make when attacked. Hopefully this makes sense.

Actually I think it makes more sense the original way. Did you mean 1Att/2def if you discard it (in quote above)?

HomerJr wrote:

Hi Magnus, you make a very good point regarding the IP bonus. I understand your confusion now. The card is poorly worded. The Expendable ability is supposed to be that you gain +1 attack or defense if you discard the IP at the end of your attack phase. This means that the IP can be worth 2 Def or 1 Att if you discard it, but if you want the extra Def or Att you will have one less unit in your deployment zone.

You stated in bold here "if you discard the IP at the end of your attack phase". This would seem to say that only the attacker can discard an IP but I don't think that is the case.

So is this a legal play? My opponent and I each have only 1 IP in our DZ at the beginning of my turn. I discard my IP for Att+1 and he is forced to discard his IP. It that right?

I would suggest that you might want to discard the IP during special abilities phase rather than at the end because discards from losses take place then and you then will need more wording to prohibit "expended" IPs from taking battle losses. As long as it is clear that attacking with no units in your DZ after "expending" is still a valid attack.

Thanks for all the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
HomerJr wrote:

Actually I think it makes more sense the original way. Did you mean 1Att/2def if you discard it (in quote above)?

HomerJr wrote:

You stated in bold here "if you discard the IP at the end of your attack phase". This would seem to say that only the attacker can discard an IP but I don't think that is the case.

I would suggest that you might want to discard the IP during special abilities phase rather than at the end because discards from losses take place then and you then will need more wording to prohibit "expended" IPs from taking battle losses. As long as it is clear that attacking with no units in your DZ after "expending" is still a valid attack.

Thanks for all the answers.

Obviously, I need to think through the exact wording a bit more thouroughly... but the basic purpose of the IP is that you can discard it to gain a bonus Att or Def for this turn, but you can't use it as the card you need to discard when attacked.

How about this revised wording:

Expendable:You may immediately discard this card at the beginning of any player's Attack phase. If you do, gain +1 Attack or +2 Defense until the end of the current Attack phase.

Also, I want to reorder the steps in the Attack phase rules such that the Attacker must determine his total attack value before the defender decides what special abilities he wants to use.

What do you guys think?

havoc110 wrote:
[So is this a legal play? My opponent and I each have only 1 IP in our DZ at the beginning of my turn. I discard my IP for Att+1 and he is forced to discard his IP. It that right?

Donald, your example with each player having 1 IP is 100% correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I still think the original wording is better.

But the thing you point out is that you get +2 defense! Isn't that kind of overpowered? We were playing that the +1 defense was only useful (per my post above) during the last or next to last turn, and that essentially discarding for the +1 defense was the same (DEF value-wise) as keeping it in your DZ.

But now they can defend at 2 if expended. Wow. Can't wait to try it out on Tuesday.

I'm not really inclined to like this wording either. Maybe just have a phase in the order of play (Attack phase) after overrun but before defender losses where "expended" units are discarded. That way it would be clear that the IP stays in the DZ, and gets to count its base 1 DEF and gets it +1 expendable bonus before being discarded.

It certainly will prevent over-runs.

We played 3 games Thursday, and from what we saw the game became a race buy the cheapest support cards that get you extra buys and drain the 4 cheapest supply stacks. I think 2 defense infantry might promote that strategy even more. Since we randomized our supply stacks, we had a set of supply that really promoted that in our final game, so it may have been a chance thing, but I could see the IP stack being the first to go in every game here out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
OK, I still think the original wording is better.

But the thing you point out is that you get +2 defense! Isn't that kind of overpowered? We were playing that the +1 defense was only useful (per my post above) during the last or next to last turn, and that essentially discarding for the +1 defense was the same (DEF value-wise) as keeping it in your DZ.

But now they can defend at 2 if expended. Wow. Can't wait to try it out on Tuesday.

Infantry Platoons haven't been overpowered in my playtests, but they will have a significant role to play in every game. If you use Expendable too often, you will run out of deployed units very quickly and then you are at risk of being overrun by your opponent's mechs.

havoc110 wrote:
I'm not really inclined to like this wording either. Maybe just have a phase in the order of play (Attack phase) after overrun but before defender losses where "expended" units are discarded. That way it would be clear that the IP stays in the DZ, and gets to count its base 1 DEF and gets it +1 expendable bonus before being discarded.

Good idea, I'll consider your idea as I figure out the best way to clarify the rules.

havoc110 wrote:
It certainly will prevent over-runs.
At least for that turn. You might be in serious trouble on subsequent turns though.

havoc110 wrote:
We played 3 games Thursday, and from what we saw the game became a race buy the cheapest support cards that get you extra buys and drain the 4 cheapest supply stacks. I think 2 defense infantry might promote that strategy even more. Since we randomized our supply stacks, we had a set of supply that really promoted that in our final game, so it may have been a chance thing, but I could see the IP stack being the first to go in every game here out.
Interesting. I doubt that every game is going to play out like that, but I could definitely see it happening with certain combinations of supply cards. What cards where you playing with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember the combo of supply, but I can tell you that all the mechs required arms or adv. factory so not a single mech was purchased.

We play with 1 improved infantry, 5 mech/vehicles (generally 2 light, 2 med, 1 assault), 1 reaction, and 5 support.

So the 2 infantry piles and the reaction all went first, followed by the next cheapest support card. (actually it was logistics officer, the buy engine. I had 3 logistics to opp's 2. It was IP that got run out last). I was concerned after that game that the "buy" engine would be more efficient than the "overrun" engine. Especially since in game 2 I was playing the overrun engine and lost to the buy engine, so in game 3 we both were playing the buy engine. Note that no support cards require specialized factories, so they are always available for purchase.

Also, Engineer Support is also always going to get bought out early when available because of it's low cost for +1 buy (with another choosable bonus).

With your clarification of the IP, in my mind the overrun engine is further disadvantaged. But I'll provide a report after our next set of plays.

I don't think any of us want a BT game where no mechs get played.

I don't know if you are still running test games (you probably are), but players on this thread could also simulate games where 1 player tries a pure "buy" strategy vs. one opponent who tries an "overrun" strategy and see where it ends up. I may be able to playtest a couple games along these lines before Tuesday. (Probable since my curiosity on this is high).

I think when we lay out the supply, it may be critical to have Locusts, Centurions and Cats available (or at least 2 of them each game). Maybe keep this concept in the back of your mind if you do "expansions". (Having other mechs you can get with just basic factories).

Wishing I could run a few sims now, but going out to dinner, then LET'S GO CAPS!

EDIT: Important to note that game 3 featured mech inf which cost 2/0/0 which probably served to compound the condition. Just noted that all other inf need special factories, so hopefully all above has been overstated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 games this AM:

supply: special ops, bushwacker, cicada, vulture, thor, behemoth, defense sys, rapid dep, convoy, logistics off, salvage crew, reinforcements

1st game:

1st player: (overrun): 20
2nd: (buy cards): 22

cards run out: defense system, logistics, IP, vulture

took a while for player1 to deploy vultures.

2nd game:
P1 (buy): 24
P2 (overrun): 24, wins tiebreaker.

Seems like the overrun player is dominating (no pun intended) each game, but only manages to win 2nd game on tiebreaker.

Supply was generated randomly via random groupings which I will go into later.

Some more questions:

1) Are defense systems cumulative (if holding more than 1)?

2) Was deployment zone ever considered a tiebreaker? (Units in DZ as 1st tiebreaker, 2nd player wins if still tied).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, close games! I'm surprised that the Reinforcements and Cicada piles didn't run out. Did either player use Thors to counter the Behemoths? I find jump jets to be a very useful ability to counter the powerful assault mechs.

I played three games last night as well, and each game was decided by 5 cards or less. In two of the games, the one player fell behind early and had to scrap several cards but ended up to come from behind and win. It almost seems like being forced to trash some basic factories early in the game can actually help improve the quality of the deck, helping keep the game close.

I've also started to compile a list of tweaks for the next release. A couple of cards that need to be better balanced include Supply Route, Salvage Crew, Stolen Technology and Perimeter Alarm. So far, the units seem to be pretty balanced to me. More on this later after I do more playtests.

Answers to your questions:
1) Yes
2) I hadn't considered that, but I think it's an excellent idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished another playtest and realized that Propaganda got left out of the v1 release. D'oh. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About Thors vs. Behemoths. The answer is none of them ever got purchased. I'm in essence trying to break the game. The overrun player's goal is to deploy mechs ASAP, and they buy engine player's goal is to empty 4 piles ASAP, usually without purchase of any mechs.

The mech player, when faced with mech purchase, found that he never was faced with not being able to buy a Vulture, so really never bought Cicada's. The mech player has to stall the end of the game a bit to make sure he overruns his opponent enough.

Which brings me to another question. The fire support of the Vulture, it applies to itself right (so a single vulture with no other mech's attack at 1?)

It probably would have made no difference except that 2 cicadas would have been bought instead of vultures.

As for propaganda, you can always put it into the first expansion, let me know if you are soliciting ideas for new cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This AM's solo plays:

supply:
battle armor squad
locust
cicada
mobile hq
mad cat
daishi
defense sys
repid dep.
drop ship
stolen tech
salvage crew
command center.

First play:
player 1 (economic engine): 15 pts
p2 (overrun engine): 25 pts

It was clear early on that the economic engine didn't have a chance with this supply set. Command center is way too expensive as the only +1 buy option.

So with that said, I played a second game with each player playing overrun strategy:

P1: 27
P2: 25

Then it dawned on me that each player was each playing "little mech".
the four exhausted supply stacks were locust, cicada, def. sys, and command ctr. Since a economic or "deck build" engine was already proven to be out for this supply, I played a 3rd game with "big mech" vs "little mech" approach.

P1: Big mech (19 points)
P2: Little mech (19 points, wins no matter which tiebreak used, DZ or 2nd player)

The Big mech is a little misleading because P1 only was able to purchase 3 mad cats, deploying only 2 of them. Certainly enough to keep the game close. Here I think the pivotal issue is the availability of cheap light mechs (Cicada and Locust is pretty much the best little mech combo).

more questions:

1) can you show defense systems and then scrap it a part of remaining overrun loss.

2) can you use overwhelm even is overrun value is less than or equal to zero? (IE: one mad cad vs. 4 cicadas).

3) stolen technolgy: does the scrapped resource card need to come from your hand?

Thanks.

Now I'm working with 3 base strategies going forward from here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
About Thors vs. Behemoths. The answer is none of them ever got purchased. I'm in essence trying to break the game. The overrun player's goal is to deploy mechs ASAP, and they buy engine player's goal is to empty 4 piles ASAP, usually without purchase of any mechs.

The mech player, when faced with mech purchase, found that he never was faced with not being able to buy a Vulture, so really never bought Cicada's. The mech player has to stall the end of the game a bit to make sure he overruns his opponent enough.

Makes sense.

havoc110 wrote:
Which brings me to another question. The fire support of the Vulture, it applies to itself right (so a single vulture with no other mech's attack at 1?)

You are correct as the card is currently written, although I may change fire support to be +1 Attack for every other mech in your deployment zone in a future version.

havoc110 wrote:
As for propaganda, you can always put it into the first expansion, let me know if you are soliciting ideas for new cards.
I am always soliciting ideas for new cards. laugh

havoc110 wrote:
more questions:

1) can you show defense systems and then scrap it a part of remaining overrun loss.

2) can you use overwhelm even is overrun value is less than or equal to zero? (IE: one mad cad vs. 4 cicadas).

3) stolen technolgy: does the scrapped resource card need to come from your hand?

1) Yes, same with perimeter alarm after you use the cards draw/replace 2 cards ability.
2) Yes. You can use overwhelm anytime, regardless of how much defense the defender has.
3) Yes.

I find your playtests very interesting. Have you tried playing the same game setup and strategies multiple times to see if the game plays out differently? It could help to identify if one strategy is clearly better than another or if luck was the difference.

Also, I tend to get my butt kicked whenever I go into a game without a clear strategy from the beginning. That's not to say that you can't adjust your strategy as the game plays on, but not having a clear strategy seems to put the player at a disadvantage against a focused opponent (a good thing IMO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to work on playing with a simlar setup and play each of my current 3 strategies against each other, maybe multiple times.

The more I look at supply stack setup, the more I look that it will favor 1 (or put 1 at big disadvantage) of the 3 strategies. I may try to make a perfect balance set. Along those lines, do you have a method for picking which 12 cards will be available? I use a "pool system" and a D6. The pools are based sort of geographically on the "poster" version of your card types.

For example:
Pool 1: (advanced infantry unit): 1:mechanized, 2-3:special ops, 4-5 battle armor, 6: elementals

Pool 2 (light mechs) 1-2: locust, 3-4: bushwacker, 5:shadowcat, 6: raven.

and so on and so forth.

I jumped the gun on reacting to the strengh of the economic strategy. It's just that in 2 of our 1st 3 plays, that was the winning tactic. Our first game, we had no strategies, just buy cards and see what happens. The 2nd game, I got killed by in essence a no-mech deck, and then used that strategy to win game 3. So when you told me that IP could defend at 2, and we were playing they could only defend at 1, I thought that all IP decks with cheap support cards would be unstoppable.
(Actually in games with only expensive mechs (or ones needing special factories, and having mechanized infantry available, I think the infantry only deck will win every time.)

This week I'll be playing vs. a live opponent again. I picked up some penny sleeves, and we're going to use Battletech CCG cards for backs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [16] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.