Peter Enzerink
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmb
Apart from Thud and http://cripplemronion.info/, both of which are variants on checkers and standard deck of cards games, there seems to be a paucity of Discworld themed games.

Where are the strategy board games like Arkham Horror or card games ala Munchkin that use the Discworld's rich descriptive and humorous content?

Is it a rights issue? I notice most of the books have movie rights locked up but we've only seen some tele-movies and theatre adaptations so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
My best guess is that unless and until a movie comes out and is fairly popular, the value of that IP to a board game is...not much. It might get a few gamers who might have missed it a reason to take a second glance, but it's recognition outside of fairly serious fantasy buffs is nearly nil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two scenarios for Catan:
Die Siedler von Catan: Rincewind und der Tourist / Die Gilden von Ankh-Morpork
Die Siedler von Catan: Rincewind und der Tourist / Die Gilden von Ankh-Morpork
(both are together on a double sided map)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
placid wrote:
Apart from Thud and http://cripplemronion.info/, both of which are variants on checkers and standard deck of cards games, there seems to be a paucity of Discworld themed games.

Thud is not a variation on checkers, it's a rather cute variation on Hnefatafl, see my review/article.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't say that Thud is a draughts variant at all. Related to the tafl family maybe.

I doubt it is a rights issue - there have been Discworld games on computer - starting with The Colour Of Magic adventure game by Delta 4 in 1986.

I'm not sure but I doubt that Pratchett (at least before illness) would sub-license all game-rights to a single company but would work on a case by case basis after talking about, or even seeing a prototype of, what is proposed (which I think is what happened with Thud). I doubt he would want to see Ankh-Morpork Monopoly more than anyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
If it's not a rights thing then lets turn the question around. Why have no game designers been inspired by Discworld?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an "clue" like game in development, but something made it disapear, and there is geeklists of Discworld games somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
My best guess is that unless and until a movie comes out and is fairly popular, the value of that IP to a board game is...not much. It might get a few gamers who might have missed it a reason to take a second glance, but it's recognition outside of fairly serious fantasy buffs is nearly nil.

Umm no, at least in the UK.

Pratchett is one of the biggest selling authors in Britain. Not just fantasy fans but general people too. Some years he is the top selling fiction author for that year.

The TV movies got around 3 million viewers in the UK, on Sky. The highest audience at that time for drama on a non-terrestrial channel.

Admittedly things may be different in the USA but then the USA isn't the world and isn't the centre of the gaming world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:
If it's not a rights thing then lets turn the question around. Why have no game designers been inspired by Discworld?

Because the Discworld has, for the most part, complex and slightly sarcastic literary themes rather than black and white things that can easily be represented in games. This also means that their appeal may be somewhat limited to people already aware of the complex and intertwined backstories.

If anyone, I'd think that Kosmos might be able to do something with one of their literature series titles. Which of the many discworld stories you'd choose to use, I'm not sure. I think a big Ankh-Morpork board would be a rich playing surface, but I'm not sure how you'd be able to use the detail to good effect. Guilds would likely figure into it somehow.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Venechuk
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon_1066 wrote:

I am getting inspired. There are so many things that could make for a rich and full game in discworld.

The Guilds of Ankh Morpork alone would provide tons of inspiration for mechanics and special abilities in a territory control based game.

What I'm really starting to think about though are the time-turners and the history monks. Imagine a (maybe cooperative) game, with action point allowance where you had to spend some of your action points to wind your time turner to stay in the same time period. The closer you get to making the changes necessary in that specific time, the more it costs you (comparably) to wind your time turner because your action points would become more and more valuable to you as things get more difficult and problems require more action points to resolve. You'd have to guess how much "time" you'll need before your turn starts, and if you skimp on the amount you wind your time turner you risk being sucked back in to a previous time period and have to regain the ground you lost.

Mmmm, my brain's fizzing a bit here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim, just use the flag like everyone else.

Indeed, too few Discworld games. One of the ironies of this is the fair number of explicit gaming references in the Discworld Novels. I think Terry Pratchett is a gamer, at least a casual gamer. In Discworld "the gods play dice with the fate of men" isn't a metaphor!

One thing which would put me off designing a Discworld game is the fear that I wouldn't do justice to the wierd and wonderful world of Pratchett, especially Pratchett's rich sense of humour (humour is difficult to capture in a boardgame at the best of times, since a good boardgame will be played over and over again, which renders even the best jokes somewhat stale). However, I would have the same fear about Tolkein, and that hasn't stopped others...

Has Reiner Knizia read any Pratchett?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend and I are currently working on a DW game, and although it's coming along very well, progress has recently, err... stalled.

We've even approached TP's agent regarding it, and he seemed open to the idea. He told us to get in touch once it's complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Venechuk
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Philip Thomas wrote:
In Discworld "the gods play dice with the fate of men" isn't a metaphor!

Man, this would be another great game idea! Have the players be the Gods, each with special capabilities, and play with the "fates" of characters on the board, as they do in the books. Imagine having Rincewind on the board in the shades of AM, Io just had a couple of thugs step out of the shadows. Things are looking grim until it's Luck's turn, and they roll high enough that the Luggage arrives in time.

I'm not sure about the mechanics or end game requirements but there's definitely a game in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imsquare22 wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:

Man, this would be another great game idea! Have the players be the Gods, each with special capabilities, and play with the "fates" of characters on the board, as they do in the books. Imagine having Rincewind on the board in the shades of AM, Io just had a couple of thugs step out of the shadows. Things are looking grim until it's Luck's turn, and they roll high enough that the Luggage arrives in time.

I'm not sure about the mechanics or end game requirements but there's definitely a game in there.

I suspect what you describe is something open ended enough to only work as an RPG, though.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leech
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought the "gods play dice" is straight from old mythology and not really a Pratchett creation anyway. I would still like a Discworld game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnyalpha wrote:
I always thought the "gods play dice" is straight from old mythology and not really a Pratchett creation anyway. I would still like a Discworld game though.

The saying has been around for ever, but you'll never find any old myths which say "Thunder rolled. He rolled a 6." Or have a mortal hero, challenged by the Gods to roll a 7, cut the die in half as it flies through the air. Or something like the scene in which the Gods decide what to play in Interesting Times ...

As usual, the idea is old, but Terry has gone to town with it and cornered the market. (for another example, the notion that beleif in a God strengthens the God has probably been around for a while, but Terry's treatment of it in Small Gods transforms it into a vivid and hilarious rule of nature.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imsquare22 wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:

You're psychic - that's pretty much how our game works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Enzerink
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
placid wrote:

Thud is not a variation on checkers, it's a rather cute variation on Hnefatafl, see my review/article.

B>

I was describing Thud in (overly simple) terms my 8yr old would understand. I see that it is a variant of Hnefatafl and Ooepaajuok.

This thread seems to be generating some interesting thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I struggle to see the similarities with checkers. They are both two player games...

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Enzerink
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
I struggle to see the similarities with checkers. They are both two player games...

B>

My mother rolls her eyes when I start talking about boardgames and she wants to know what's so wrong with Monopoly that we want to play weird games instead so I keep it simple!

Black and white alternating squares with a bunch of different colour pawns facing each other? Sounds close enough to checkers or chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
placid wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

B>

My mother rolls her eyes when I start talking about boardgames and she wants to know what's so wrong with Monopoly that we want to play weird games instead

This simple sentence fills me with so much sadness...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
placid wrote:
thepackrat wrote:

B>

My mother rolls her eyes when I start talking about boardgames and she wants to know what's so wrong with Monopoly that we want to play weird games instead so I keep it simple!

You could try explaining. Most people have at least an inkling that Monopoly runs too long.
Quote:

Black and white alternating squares with a bunch of different colour pawns facing each other? Sounds close enough to checkers or chess.

Ah "Checkers" becomes "Checkers or Chess" and you indicate through the phrase "different colour pawns" and "facing each other" that you've never actually player or seen Thud!.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/tag/discworld

AHEM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Enzerink
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Ah "Checkers" becomes "Checkers or Chess" and you indicate through the phrase "different colour pawns" and "facing each other" that you've never actually player or seen Thud!.

B>

I've read the book and the rules but I've never played a game and based on the reviews I don't expect I will as it is not my cup of tea despite the nice integration with the story.

My comparison was simply to provide a comprehensible example for 99.9% of the BGG audience, not just the other 0.1% who are familiar with Hnefatafl.

As I mentioned in my original note, I'm more interested in games with different mechanics than Thud.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I'm surprised you didn't compare it to monopoly or cluedo.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.