Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Trying to find a new board game for my brother rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I'm trying to figure out a good board game for my brother to buy. Board Game, not Card Game, he's got those. He's been looking at various games that our group doesn't own yet and that he hasn't played, and I want to make sure that he gets something that he'll enjoy. I'm not sure what's the best way of describing his likes, so I'll just dump the games he's played into categories.

Dislikes
Agricola - Too much analysis, can get tripped up easily
Illuminati - Too much backstabbing and people messing with each other
Dungeon Lords - Again, alot of analysis, but not AS much as agricola
Puerto Rico - He tried to corn rush, ended in last, doesn't want to try again.
Through the Ages - Hasn't actually playing this. But doesn't want to.

Not Great, But Not Bad
Android - He's never won, the theme in the game is really what keeps him playing
Bang - Some people's playing style in our group has ruined this game for him
Fury of Dracula - There's a bit of thinking about where to go, but it's mostly luck, even down to the final battle.
Last Night on Earth - Too frequently the games are completely one-sided in either team's favor
Shadow Hunters - Not enough strategy to have any compelling gameplay, just mostly mindless dicerolling and luck
Talisman - He's only played once, but seemed fine with everything except my streak of luck that night

Favorites
Arabian Nights - Once he learned to play for the story rather than the victory, this became a favorite
Arkham Horror - Enjoys the coop element and theme. There's definitely an optimal way to play, but you've still got wiggle room.
Betrayal at House on the Hill - Never quite the same twice.
Cosmic Encounter - Changing alliances and different powers keep the game interesting
I'm the Boss - Enjoys the crazy 'everybody use cards' moments
RoboRally - There's enough forgiveness in this game that making a mistake is usually more entertaining than frustrating

If I had to summarize all of that...
Game play ranging from Co-op to indirect competition is safer
Worker placement is probably too much thinking
4 hours games aren't too long for him
he's more likely to appreciate a game rich in flavor

He was looking at Chaos in the Old World and Shadows over Camelot, but he hasn't really researched anything and I'd prefer he didn't drop $50 on a game that he'll end up not liking.

I appreciate anything anyone's willing to throw out there! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gong
United States
Bayside
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I second BSG

CitoW is a current fav of mine

Although BSG needs the right group of people to play with. Its not about playing the game, its about the social aspect of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BSG might not be the right game for your brother.

While I love it, I think if he doesn't like games with backstabbing and messing with the other players, BSG probably isn't for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loose Cannon
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to go with Battlestar Galactica too.
Of everything I've played, so far it is my ALL-TIME favorite game.
although the humans havent won in a very long time.
Our last game, I was sure the humans would win. Then I became a Cylon half way through.
Poor humans. I think Cylons have won about 10 in a row.
Even when there was no chance Cylons would win, Helen's special ability, gave her the admiralcy and She jumped the ship, killing the human population.
I was so worried, (I was Cain) that someone would Exicute me, I forgot Helen's special ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Pandemic or maybe Middle-Earth Quest...if he's willing to wait until this summer, he'd probably enjoy Defenders of the Realm (I think it has the same designer as Arkham Horror)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Treusch
United States
Gonzales
Texas
flag msg tools
If he likes Last Night on Earth consider A Touch of Evil... same company and has different feel, can be played co-cooperatively, competitive, or in teams... However can be a little long.

Also games like Settlers of Catan or Race for the Galaxy are very fast paced and involved a lot of strategy but do not get bogged down with analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman Serebryakov
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the adventure side, I would suggest Runebound. From the coop side, I would suggest Shadows Over Camelot, it takes less time than BSG and it has simplier mechanics, but I think its much more fun than BSG.

Also, for the quick and engaging game, Cyclades, my new favorite is very easy to play but a lot of choices and quick to finish. You can never get bored with this game I love it.
Also, for good game deals check out www.boardgamrevolution or www.cardhaus.com

EDIT: Also, maybe you should try mystery solvers (they are very engaginf and fun) : like Mystery of Abbey, Nuns on the Run, or Mystery Express (lots of mystery cool )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Crompton
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Doom and its expansion. You can/he can then play co-operatively or player vs player. Missions are 2 hours upwards ( depending upon the number of players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for all the suggestions. I hadn't seen Defenders of the Realm before, looks good to me. BSG has just started to show up in our game circle among those who really liked the show; we're hesitant to play it as we didn't care for the show at all, but we'll give it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.