Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark francis
England
redhill
surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just acquired El Caballero and have a question about returning Caballeros from a card returned to your court.
If it has a Castillo on the card how many Caballeros are returned?
I realise you get the Caballeros you paid, but what about any adjoining another area tile?

Example:You have a card adjoining a land area worth 8 and a water area worth 7. When returned (with a Castillo atop) do you have :

a. 8 returned (this seems possible regarding the rule for moving a Grande)
b. 9 returned (8+1 for the water Cabs) the way I play now.
c. 15 returned (don't think this is correct)

Thanks for your imput , this is a great game by the way!
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ward
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
You don't necessarily get back the number you paid. For example you could have initially placed the caballero card with only one interface; water, paying one caballero. Then later a land tile could have been place next to it, giving you, in effect 2-4 "free" caballeros, depending on the edge now touching land. After that an opponent might have placed a second land tile next to your card, thereby forcing you to remove it.

Let's assume you indeed placed a castillo on the card at some point prior to forced removal, maybe after "upgrading" it (flipping it) so that its 7 edge now touches the land. Further assume the north side of the caballero card touches nothing, the east side touches water, the south side (with a 7 on its edge) faced land. And your opponent has just placed a land tile against the west side (with an 8 on its edge).

How many caballeros would return to your court? Whichever edge at the moment of removal was largest. In this case, 8.

You never get your one caballero payment back for the castillo you built.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark francis
England
redhill
surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your reply Michael.
So it is a. just like the Grande ruling implies.
The interpreted rules are slightly vague but this clears it up nicely!
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Gingerich
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I have to disagree. A Caballero tile can only be removed if it already has one edge against land. This was either paid for, or gotten, per the rules, "for free" because the Caballero tile was originally played onto water. Therefore there is always a single number of Caballeros. There is no indication that you can gain more "for free" when a second land edge is placed. The tile is immediately removed and we have a known number of Caballeros (the number against the first land edge).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.