Subject: Publishing the Rainbow Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have put the Rainbow deck on the Game Crafter, but so far have not made even a single sale.

Do you think any publisher will be interested to print and sell the Rainbow Deck? What are the things that are lacking, or the reasons why this deck does not appeal to consumers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very interested in the Rainbow Deck, but I bought my copy from Artscow, even though it was more expensive, because I could get a complete deck that way.

You have to realize that Game Crafter and Artscow are a niche (print and play) of a niche (hobby gaming).

Have you tried submitting the deck to publishers? If so, possibly what's putting them off is the fact that it can be used to play a variety of existing games. They may even view this as cannibalizing their own sales.

But if you want my opinion? Rock on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really my sort of thing, but I'd almost buy it just because it's so colorful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More thoughts:

You might want to try to get the cost down if you can. $30 is quite expensive for an impulse buy, and that's what I had to pay at Artscow. (In my case, it wasn't an impulse buy; I love this kind of thing.)

If you really want to get the deck professionally published, look for niche publishers who are already publishing weird things, such as Blue Panther LLC, who publish piecepacks. They themselves might not be interested, since most of their games are wood or plastic, not cardstock, but they might have some suggestions for you.

It wouldn't hurt to have some games that are unique to the Rainbow Deck or can only be played with difficulty using some other game system. Best of all would be a "killer app", or *really* fun game that can only be played with the Rainbow Deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chen Changcai
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rhwe, thanks for your interest in the Rainbow Deck! For the pricing, it is out of my control for Artscow. As for GameCrafter, my profit margin is minimal, less than a dollar.

I will email Blue Panther LLC and see if there is any useful reply. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Piecepack has been very very good to us. It's not a "weird thing", at least by the standards of the hobby :-)

However, Rainbow Deck does have alot of cards in it. Many $20 - $25 games have 110 cards or thereabouts, so if Rainbow Deck is $18 at the Game Crafter, that's favorable from a price perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve, you ought to know by now that I don't consider "weird" a bad thing. But would you prefer "novel"? Even as we approach the tenth anniversary of the invention of the piecepack, the idea of something like a standard deck of cards for board games is still a revelation to many people.

I bought my copy of Rainbow Deck from Artscow because the one available on Game Crafter is short two cards. Perhaps someone could print a deck of only jokers and sell them for a nominal fee, two at a time, to people who are missing them. Anyway, I've seen both Game Crafter cards and Artscow cards, and I think the latter are of higher quality.

But let's assume that the Rainbow Deck should be sold through Game Crafter. How can it be marketed? Even relatively popular existing decks are having trouble selling through Game Crafter; how can an unusual, brand new deck like RD do so?

Has anyone been able to do well selling through Game Crafter or Artscow, whether in terms of profit, or just in volume? Anecdotal evidence available to me suggests not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my Game Crafter RD 1.15 today and immediately played a game of Coloretto with it with my wife. Very fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hale-Evans
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered my RD 1.15 late on a Wednesday night. Game Crafter printed and shipped it on Thursday via Priority Mail, which usually takes two days within the US, so I expected it on Saturday. However, the mail was slow and I got it Monday. Still, it could easily have been a situation where I ordered the cards late one night and got them three days later.

By comparison, when I ordered my RD 1.14 from Artscow, it was more than a week before they even acknowledged my order, and it took more than another week to receive it. It also cost about 50% more than my Game Crafter order (about $30 instead of about $20). The only positive thing I can say about Artscow is that the cards were of higher quality -- more regular and sturdier, yet thinner. Nevertheless, I intend to order from Game Crafter in future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Frandson
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered a set from artscow, as I had found a coupon on the internet. It was : ZXY4VKR iscounted Price with Coupon: $4.99Applies To:54 Design Playing Cards

So the final cost for me for the three deck set was 14.98, including shipping from Hong Kong!

The quality is good.

You could try to order a large number with that coupon and see what happens, and then resell them or detail them.

PD Magnus, the creator of Decktet, released his game under creative commons. He does sell already printed ones, but I think he has not been getting much for his effort. He appears to be going the "Value Added" route by creating a rule book and some other items to go with his game system which he also sells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.